Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 11:58 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Side note: did someone create a bunch of duplicate accounts to rack up a bunch of sudden votes for Dallas? Seems odd that in one day it surged to first runner up.
Of course, I called this earlier. Dallas had 10 votes last night. Boston had the most, followed by Atlanta, Philadelphia and Houston. I saw 20 total votes when I woke up this morning. You don't even see many arguments for Dallas in this thread which makes it very interesting.

Boston +3 within 24 hrs, Atlanta +3 Houston +1 Philadelpha +3 and Dallas +14

Last edited by cdw1084; 03-23-2020 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Numbers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 12:03 AM

200 posts, read 294,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Which is better known doesnt have to do with importance.

Houston has more foreign investment, more foreign diplomatic missions (consulates), more foreign born residents, and more overnight foreign visitors from overseas (Mexico and Canada dont count).
Houston is also the largest exporter of goods in the country by a pretty good margin too.

https://legacy.trade.gov/mas/ian/met...ian_003084.asp

Keep in mind, this doesn't include export of services where metros like NYC and Boston would do well in that area and it doesn't make it more important than DC for example. But the movement of goods overseas are still a very important function of international trade which makes Houston one of the most important cities in the country tied to the global economy.

I could see cities like Dallas or Atlanta being higher than Houston in the domestic pecking order because of things like airport traffic, media share, well-known Fortune 500 firms, and some other stuff, but when you tie-in the international component, Houston is just more connected in that regard.

I have Boston firmly as the '6th' city and probably Houston at 7 but I think you can make good arguments for the other cities at that spot too.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:02 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Nah.

Smaller economy, it doesnt dominate a particular industry, lower per capita GDP, its less international, etc. All of those things can be objectively shown statistically.

Nope. Its objectively less important than Boston and Houston.
Hell-to-the-Nah.

6. Atlanta
7. Boston
8. Houston or Dallas or Philadelphia or Miami or Seattle

Everybody knows this.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:02 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Neither Houston nor Atlanta are particularly “international.” Atlanta seems to be better-known internationally though... Perhaps because of its airport, the olympics, and, yes, its heavy black culture. But overall, neither one of them are an LA, Toronto, Montreal, Miami... They’re far from it.
Have you done intensive international travel to come to this claim?

Also, Houston not particularly international? Is this a joke?

Old 03-24-2020, 01:51 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hell-to-the-Nah.

6. Atlanta
7. Boston

Everybody knows this.
According to the poll, 17 out of 20 people do not.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Have you done intensive international travel to come to this claim?

Also, Houston not particularly international? Is this a joke?
Yes, I have. And lived abroad for most of my life. I guess it depends on what you’re looking at. Based on foreign investments, neither one of them rank high at all.

Someone replied to me explaining why it should be seen as more international than Atlanta. I can agree with that.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 03-24-2020 at 04:47 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 05:06 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hell-to-the-Nah.

6. Atlanta
7. Boston

Everybody knows this.
It seems to be that everybody doesn’t know this.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:13 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
What surprises me now is:

Dallas(/Fort Worth) above Houston and Philly?

Hell-to-the-Nah.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:17 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What surprises me now is:

Dallas(/Fort Worth) above Houston and Philly?

Hell-to-the-Nah.
I don’t find it all that surprising... What I’m surprised by is how long it took for it to get votes, the manner in which it got them, and how it hasn’t been a major topic of debate in this thread. Why wouldn’t it be above those cities?

Old 03-24-2020, 07:18 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Boston and Seattle are way more important than their populations would indicate. One reason why is their high per capita GDP, they're 2 and 3 nationally after the Bay Area.

They both have disproportionately high traffic from foreign air carriers. Miami has that too, but has nowhere near the per capita GDP.

No coincidence either that all are seaports with histories of international transport.

I'd say Boston #6, Seattle #7.

Interior cites like Atlanta, DFW, Houston, Philly have a lot of people, all because of affordable and available land relative to land-constrained seaports. But this also brings down their per capita GDP, and traffic from foreign air carriers. Seattle handles more pax on foreign air carriers than Atlanta or DFW, despite their massive airports.

I'd say Atlanta, DFW, and Houston round out the top 10, almost in a tie, with Philly being 11. Philly was the country's original lots of land, lots of people metro and even when it was battling NY for largest city, it had far less int'l sea traffic than Boston. I spent the first 40 years of my life in the NE Corridor, and it always felt a step down in importance from NY, Bos, and DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City