Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 01:32 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times

Advertisements

My personal opinion is Dallas or Boston. I voted Dallas because I am more partial to it (and, having spent a lot of time in New Hampshire, I do not feel a "strong enough" connection between Manchester and Boston). I did not bother commenting earlier because it clearly has the largest GDP and population* (in this case, is pulling ahead of the rest/catching up to Boston if you do go by CSA*), which is enough for me, but I am aware many people do not feel is, which has been discussed many times without changing anyone's opinion. Perhaps a lot of other voters for Dallas felt the same and didn't felt the need or didn't care enough to debate what factors are the most important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 01:39 PM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Sea-Tac is a moderate-sized international airport...not a SF or Vancouver, but pretty good. A major International Arrivals expansion is underway to address a choke point we apparently share.

February overseas traffic was very similar...about 195,000 per city. That doesn't count the Americas, where Houston had a big advantage.

August was different...about 290,000 for Houston and 400,000 for Seattle.
It’s important to remember that international travel to Seattle has a huge seasonal component to it. Houston’s really isn’t season at all. We typically see that in tourist travel. Seattle gets tourist. Houston really doesn’t.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:40 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
(and, having spent a lot of time in New Hampshire, I do not feel a "strong enough" connection between Manchester and Boston)
A good post for the most part. Dallas has a very strong argument for #6. This part is a bit bizarre, however. Manchester is such a teeny-tiny blip on the national radar, that its relationship to Boston doesn’t effect the importance of the latter at all.

Or did you just want to point out a lack of loyalty to or personal preference for Boston relative to Dallas?

Old 03-24-2020, 01:48 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
My personal opinion is Dallas or Boston. I voted Dallas because I am more partial to it (and, having spent a lot of time in New Hampshire, I do not feel a "strong enough" connection between Manchester and Boston). I did not bother commenting earlier because it clearly has the largest GDP and population* (in this case, is pulling ahead of the rest/catching up to Boston if you do go by CSA*), which is enough for me, but I am aware many people do not feel is, which has been discussed many times without changing anyone's opinion. Perhaps a lot of other voters for Dallas felt the same and didn't felt the need or didn't care enough to debate what factors are the most important.
I was in Manchester for work have half a year and saw a strong connection to Boston. Tons of people were flying in/out of MHT both from suburbs in between the two and from Boston and I saw numerous folks driving to Boston to fly out of Logan. The few people I knew there ventured into Boston every now and then to shop and for entertainment purposes. From my experience, Boston was the "big city" in the area, providing the most retail and cultural options that the surrounding areas visited to partake in. I took alot of ubers between the two and I remember asking the driver if this was common and he mentioned that trips between the two were fairly common.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:53 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Yes, Boston is #6.

Which one is #7? That could be a long debate.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:58 PM

19 posts, read 10,228 times
International Pax

MIA 10.1 million
ATL 6.1 million
IAH 5.2 million
FLL 4.1 million
DFW 4.1 million

MIA+FLL is 14.2 million. IAH+HOU would barely edge ATL since HOU has 1 million intl passengers. But it’s a virtual tie. Then DFW.

https://www.bts.dot.gov/newsroom/201...nes-us-flights

I wonder which one has the most international pax, BOS, SEA, or Philly?

Old 03-24-2020, 02:18 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Cosby’s from Philly, I think. Sandler’s from Manchester, NH iirc. Otherwise good list. As I mentioned in a way earlier post, however, having lots of actors and comedians doesn’t do as much for the brand as having musicians, tv shows, and movies (imo).
'Twasn't me who posted that list.

I know Cosby's a Philly guy - I can even name the neighborhood where he grew up: Hunting Park. (There's a street here bearing the same name; it passes the park of that name and is a local stop on the Broad Street Subway. Locals insist on attaching a "don" onto the end of "Hunting" when pronouncing it. What makes this more confusing is that there is also a Huntingdon Street here, in the section of North Philadelphia where the east-west streets bear the names of the state's counties, Huntingdon being one of those.)

I've never done something I vowed I'd do when I moved here 37 years ago: replicate one of the plays in his standup monologue "Street Football." The play was this:

"Cosby, you go down to 3rd Street. Catch the J bus. Have 'em open the doors at 18th Street. I'll fake it to you."

(I can catch the J bus six blocks east of where I live. I'd have to ride it for several blocks before I got to 18th Street, let alone 3rd.)

Edited to add: But since you mentioned TV shows, musicians and movies, here's a quick, dirty and incomplete rundown of what I know that's associated with each city:

Atlanta
TV and movies: CNN, anything from Tyler Perry, Real Housewives of Atlanta
Musicians: No names spring to my mind (though I thought I heard recently that Beyoncé hails from the ATL), but it's the center of Southern hip-hop; I'm sure others can name artists

Boston
TV and movies: St. Elsewhere, Boston Legal, Love Story, Cheers
Musicians: Boston, The Cars, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Yo-Yo Ma, The Boston Pops, John Williams

Dallas
TV and movies: Dallas (the ur-prime-time soap opera), North Dallas Forty
Musicians: ???

Houston
Nothing in either category comes to mind right off

Miami
TV and movies: Miami Vice, The Golden Girls
Musicians: Gloria Estefan (Miami Sound Machine)

Philadelphia
TV and movies: Witness, 12 Monkeys, Philadelphia, anything from M. Night Shyamalan, Silver Linings Playbook, Cold Case, Hack, Amen, thirtysomething, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Musicians: Hall and Oates, "TSOP" ("The Sound of Philadelphia," which was to '70s R&B what Motown was to '60s R&B), John Coltrane, Todd Rundgren, The Hooters, Philadelphia Orchestra, Marian Anderson

Seattle
TV and movies: Here Come the Brides, Frasier
Musicians: Nirvana, grunge rock in general

Please, folks, feel free to add on and fill in holes.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 03-24-2020 at 03:09 PM..

Old 03-24-2020, 02:19 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
No one think Manchester/Boston lol. Its Boston/Cambridge/Worcester/Providence.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:22 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I was in Manchester for work have half a year and saw a strong connection to Boston. Tons of people were flying in/out of MHT both from suburbs in between the two and from Boston and I saw numerous folks driving to Boston to fly out of Logan. The few people I knew there ventured into Boston every now and then to shop and for entertainment purposes. From my experience, Boston was the "big city" in the area, providing the most retail and cultural options that the surrounding areas visited to partake in. I took alot of ubers between the two and I remember asking the driver if this was common and he mentioned that trips between the two were fairly common.
Manchester is super far, it might be a regional airport for people in the northern burbs but travel between Manchester and Boston proper? I’ve never really heard of that unless you’re coming in from the airport. Boston’s got the international flight. Manchester is definitely very much its own thing but Boston is obviously a draw. The one person I know from Manchester says it sucks.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:23 PM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3RO View Post
International Pax

MIA 10.1 million
ATL 6.1 million
IAH 5.2 million
FLL 4.1 million
DFW 4.1 million

MIA+FLL is 14.2 million. IAH+HOU would barely edge ATL since HOU has 1 million intl passengers. But it’s a virtual tie. Then DFW.

https://www.bts.dot.gov/newsroom/201...nes-us-flights

I wonder which one has the most international pax, BOS, SEA, or Philly?
It’s important to remember that includes connections. It’s not a measure of people flying to Houston, Atlanta, DFW, Miami, etc only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City