Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 07:47 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You are saying exactly what I'm saying, so what's the problem?
I thought you were saying that even with population differences, between Lagos and Dehli their still less important than London. I think GDP plays a much bigger role than the other ones. Now that i'm threading off-topic convo. think Dallas-Seattle can't be compared because Dallas has both the population and the GDP being larger than Seattle, while the other two cities only have population giving them a boost over London/Paris. Hence I didn't think it was a fair comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 07:55 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3RO View Post
Those are O&D...
No they arent. They include connecting traffic. If you add them up and the domestic traffic from the same source, you get the total passenger traffic reported by the airport.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:57 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I thought you were saying that even with population differences, between Lagos and Dehli their still less important than London. I think GDP plays a much bigger role than the other ones. Now that i'm threading off-topic convo. think Dallas-Seattle can't be compared because Dallas has both the population and the GDP being larger than Seattle, while the other two cities only have population giving them a boost over London/Paris. Hence I didn't think it was a fair comparison.
You are still not getting the point.
The point is if population is the be all and end all then Lagos and Delhi would be more important than Paris and London.

Point two is GDP usually grows with population growth and the fact that Seattle has a bigger GDP than it's population would suggest shows the powerhouse that Seattle is.

DFW does have an impressive GDP but per capital Seattle is more impressive.

They can certainly be compared once you understand the gist of the comparison. Don't over think it.
Having a large population doesn't make a city. Lagos and Delhi are much much bigger than London and Paris, just like DFW is much larger than Seattle so I'm not sure what part was confusing.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:12 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You are still not getting the point.
The point is if population is the be all and end all then Lagos and Delhi would be more important than Paris and London.

Point two is GDP usually grows with population growth and the fact that Seattle has a bigger GDP than it's population would suggest shows the powerhouse that Seattle is.

DFW does have an impressive GDP but per capital Seattle is more impressive.

They can certainly be compared once you understand the gist of the comparison. Don't over think it.
Having a large population doesn't make a city. Lagos and Delhi are much much bigger than London and Paris, just like DFW is much larger than Seattle so I'm not sure what part was confusing.
The point is London has an over .8 trillion dollar economy and Lagos passed 100 billion recently (136 currently). DFW has an economy approaching 600 billion dollars. Seattle is approaching 400 billion dollars you can't say city size is the only factor. Lagos while having more population is 1/6th the economy of London. DFW has more population and a bigger economy. If Lagos had a higher GDP than London or even half it would be comparable but the economy is minuscule compared to London's. Lagos would easily be more important than London if it's GDP was bigger than London's by the same factor, same with Dehli, even if London's GDP per capita remained higher. Because Dallas has the GDP and the population size over Seattle it is more important. If it only had the population without the GDP it would be considerably less important especially if the gap was comparable to Lagos, Dallas would be the poorest MSA in the U.S by a large margin.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3RO View Post
Those are O&D...
They align with overall international figures... so unless nobody connected anywhere.. than those are 100% Wrong.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:30 PM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
They align with overall international figures... so unless nobody connected anywhere.. than those are 100% Wrong.
School me on this.

Is what you're requesting the number of passengers who began and ended their travel at Logan (PHL, CDG...) rather than changed from a domestic to an international flight or vice versa there?

Are those stats easily available? The USDOT database doesn't seem to separate those out.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:37 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
6./7. Atlanta/Boston

Old 03-28-2020, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 589 times
6. Boston 7. Dallas

Old 03-28-2020, 11:18 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquarantine View Post
For 6/7 I'd say Philadelphia/Boston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
6./7. Atlanta/Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout2020 View Post
6. Boston 7. Dallas
6./7.
Atlanta
Boston

8./9.
Philadelphia
Dallas

10-12. (choose order)
Houston
Seattle
Miami

Old 03-29-2020, 01:13 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
6./7.
Atlanta
Boston

8./9.
Philadelphia
Dallas

10-12. (choose order)
Houston
Seattle
Miami
Houston should be higher than a choose order 10-12. I think the 6 and 7 mark is a city that does have a large economy, an economy that is global, a leader in an industry that contributes greatly not only to the economy locally, but nationally. Strong at education, strong culture, and diversity. Boston checks all of this. Houston misses out on education though slightly but they check the rest of the boxes. Philadelphia checks but misses out on diversity slightly compared to Houston and I believe Boston. I don’t know what industry Philadelphia leads in like Houston does with energy and Boston with education. But 6-8 has to be the Philadelphia, Boston, Houston range.

If you add urbanity to it, then Philadelphia and Boston are 6 and 7.

Last edited by Spade; 03-29-2020 at 01:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City