Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 07:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Since the question wasn't 'what was my 6th favorite city' but, instead, what was the '6th most important city', I went with Miami because the demographic of Miami, Latinx, South American, Jamaican, Bahamian, Haitian, and even Asian, is where the country is heading demographically... No other city on the list can say this. The joke: Miami is the northernmost Latin American city ... This fact being largely created by the fact Miami is the USA's southern-most entry point, also leads to it being a bigger hotspot/entry-point for international tourism moreso than other cities on the list.
No.
No
No,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 08:14 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Boston has a pretty large Caribbean population. Iirc, Haitian is the third most common ethnicity in Boston after Irish and Italian. I believe that’s it’s often third for sizable Caribbean communities after NYC and Miami.
There’s no evidence/numbers that Haitian is third most common ethnicity, that could be Dominican Chinese or African American. But yea Boston has comparable ethnic diversity and Carribean immigration when comparing to Miami. mainly from Haiti, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Trinidad and Barbados.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:14 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There’s no evidence Haitian is third most common ethnicity.
Ah. I think I got it from the Boston wiki page, but reading it again I might be mistaken:

*not to mention the fact that wiki might be flat-out wrong.

Quote:
People of Irish descent form the largest single ethnic group in the city, making up 15.8% of the population, followed by Italians, accounting for 8.3% of the population. People of West Indian and Caribbean ancestry are another sizable group, at 6.0%,[133] about half of whom are of Haitian ancestry.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston

Last edited by JMT; 03-31-2020 at 08:27 AM..

Old 03-30-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Well, in the case of this thread: I figured the top 5 were well-enough clear and established that the battle for 6 and 7 would be a much more interesting topic. It’s a much grey-er area. I still plan on making a “number 7 thread”, but I’ll wait until a little while after this one has died down.

Ah. I think I got it from the Boston wiki page, but reading it again I might be mistaken:

*not to mention the fact that wiki might be flat-out wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston
This rate numbers from 2000. In 2010 Irish as about 13.8% of Boston I believe.

About 1/3rd of Boston’s 23% of the population that’s Black is foreign born (of all nationalities. Even with second generations. I’d have to imagine African Americans outsize Haitians and are at least 10% of the city.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:33 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
About 1/3rd of Boston’s 23% of the population that’s Black is foreign born (of all nationalities. Even with second generations. I’d have to imagine African Americans outsize Haitians and are at least 10% of the city.
I’d believe it! I was just perusing the “Asian ghetto” thread in General US and realized that Dorchester might be close to 1:1:1:1 -> Irish : Dominican : AA : Vietnamese, which would be kinda neat.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-30-2020 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-30-2020, 09:00 PM

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...01E&t=Ancestry Mid -~727,009 ancestries reported in Boston in 2018. ~90k were Irish. Meaning Bsoston was 12.3% Irish in 2018.

48k identified as West Indian, 47k identified as Italian,

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...cid=DP05_0001E

22k identify as Haitian, 12k identify as Jamaican and 12k identify as Cape Verdean. I think it safe to say there are far more than 22k African Americans in Boston. I also read a report there. 10k Dominican children in Boston which make me think there’s at least 25k Dominicans

Old 03-31-2020, 05:39 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Since the question wasn't 'what was my 6th favorite city' but, instead, what was the '6th most important city', I went with Miami because the demographic of Miami, Latinx, South American, Jamaican, Bahamian, Haitian, and even Asian, is where the country is heading demographically... No other city on the list can say this. The joke: Miami is the northernmost Latin American city ... This fact being largely created by the fact Miami is the USA's southern-most entry point, also leads to it being a bigger hotspot/entry-point for international tourism moreso than other cities on the list.
Miami probably has the smallest Asian population on the list. In fact, all the other cities are represented well throughout the world as much as Miami. Percentage wise, Boston is up there with Miami I bet in Caribbean population but by absolute numbers, Miami has a bit more. Houston outside of the Mexican population does not have the Latin population as Miami but it still holds its own pretty well and likely second on this list.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I’d believe it! I was just perusing the “Asian ghetto” thread in General US and realized that Dorchester might be close to 1:1:1:1 -> Irish : Dominican : AA : Vietnamese, which would be kinda neat.
Dorchester is something like 45% Black 25% White 15% Latino and 10% Asian 5% other. Although I feel like it more like 40% Black and 20% Latino. Feels twice as black as Latino not 3 times as much..to me

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorchester,_Boston

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...7-ce6cbdb865c3

Last edited by Yac; 04-03-2020 at 06:28 AM..

Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Stephen King I associate with Maine. While Boston is THE preeminent metropolis of New England, I think that Maine is far enough removed from it to not really be part of Boston's orbit.
Not really. The lower portion of Maine, where the overwhelming bulk of the state's population resides, is within 100 to 120 miles of Boston, and Amtrak's Downeaster train currently makes 5 daily round trips between Boston and Brunswick, ME (home to prestigious Bowdoin College), just 145 rail miles away... Amtrak is actually studying upgrading this line to higher, even high speed, esp if/when the downtown Boston electrified rail tunnel is built connecting North and South stations. One of my office mates grew up in Portland, ME, the state's biggest city (metro pop. 500K) and just 100 miles NE of Boston. She grew up as, and continues to be, a wacko-crazy Boston sports fan.

True, the larger land mass of Maine's 'head' (really the 'head' of the United States) up near the Canadian border is quite distant from Boston, but hardly anyone lives there.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:05 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Dorchester is something like 45% Black 25% White 15% Latino and 10% Asian 5% other. Although I feel like it more like 40% Black and 20% Latino. Feels twice as black as Latino not 3 times as much..to me

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorchester,_Boston

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...7-ce6cbdb865c3
The line between black and Latino is very blurry in Massachusetts.

Last edited by Yac; 04-03-2020 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City