Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 10:11 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The line between black and Latino is very blurry in Massachusetts.
Absolutely. More than just about anywhere else in the US...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 10:37 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I really like Atlanta.. I think there's a lot to like about it, more and more every day. I could spend days walking around the beltline, drinking outside, attending live shows (an ode to Atlanta's highly underrated music scene). It's green, it has pockets of some vibrancy, a lot of beautiful people (shallow, but true).

The end of the day, Atlanta isn't some hugely important or influential city. Regionally, it absolutely is. I'd agree with you, that Philadelphia, Dallas, and Houston all probably beat out ATL if we're talking influence, importance. To me, Seattle should be right there too, and gets my nod over ATL.
Atlanta over Boston??? I’ll give you that. Atlanta over Houston??? You can make a strong case for Houston over Atlanta cause of the energy industry. But Seattle/Dallas and Philly?

I mean Atlanta is far from a slouch. For the past couple of decades it’s been the #1 city for film and television. You have the busiest airport in the world there. You have Fortune 500 companies like Cocoa-Cola/Chicfila/Home Depot/etc. It’s the biggest influence in urban music today and has been for over a decade now. Home of Delta. All of those factors extend way beyond regional. I’m just saying, let’s not completely write off Atlanta.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:02 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
When did Atlanta become the #1 City for film and TV? Do you mean in relation to the other cities you are talking about because I dunno if you have heard of a place called Los Angeles and another, I think it's called New York, those two produce a lot of film and TV too. SF and Miami are on the up and up along with New Orleans so Atl is going to have to share the love even in the South too.

Having the busiest airport is nice, but layovers don't add heft to a city, it just means the location is convenient for a stop. Kinda like a weigh station.

As for fortune 500 don't Houston and DFW have more (Not sure about Boston)

You have an argument in terms of culture. I would put it in the top 3-6 right now. After New York and LA and with Miami, SF, Chicago... And in terms of urban influence I can't think of any city higher. But urban influence didn't translate equally to overall influence.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:33 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Atlanta over Boston??? I’ll give you that. Atlanta over Houston??? You can make a strong case for Houston over Atlanta cause of the energy industry. But Seattle/Dallas and Philly?

I mean Atlanta is far from a slouch. For the past couple of decades it’s been the #1 city for film and television. You have the busiest airport in the world there. You have Fortune 500 companies like Cocoa-Cola/Chicfila/Home Depot/etc. It’s the biggest influence in urban music today and has been for over a decade now. Home of Delta. All of those factors extend way beyond regional. I’m just saying, let’s not completely write off Atlanta.
Several posters on here aren't writing off Atlanta, but the cities against Atlanta: Boston, Philadelphia, Houston and Dallas are major players in every category for the "number 6" city, and arguably a better fit than Atlanta.
If people were writing off Atlanta against the top 10-12 then I would disagree, but the #6-8 spots are very close between Boston, Philadelphia and Houston (in my opinion). Atlanta is just a little too far off the #6-8 spot.

Seattle and Miami are the last 2 for sure though.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:40 AM

Philly had all the makings for the secondmost premiere city in the US. What happened? Is it the sandwich between NY, and that capital stealer DC?

I am really hoping for a major Philly Renaissance. And not a SF Renaissance where the entire collection of areas rise, but a Central City Renaissance.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Philly had all the makings for the secondmost premiere city in the US. What happened? Is it the sandwich between NY, and that capital stealer DC?

I am really hoping for a major Philly Renaissance. And not a SF Renaissance where the entire collection of areas rise, but a Central City Renaissance.

On top of being in between NYC AND DC PHIKKY got too enamored with big factories and manufacturing in the middle of the last century and didnt keep diversifying it’s economy

Old 04-02-2020, 12:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
On top of being in between NYC AND DC PHIKKY got too enamored with big factories and manufacturing in the middle of the last century and didnt keep diversifying it’s economy
On the plus side, that's given Philly a quality that's cosmopolitan but still inclusive of the average Joe--which also means it's a bit more affordable than the other big NEC cities (excepting Baltimore of course).

Old 04-02-2020, 12:10 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

No, Philadelphia is not the 2nd city of the United States, but it has been a major player since before the United States was a country, and its the only city other than New York to hold that title.
Many cities have blown up and fizzled over the years, but Philadelphia while now #6-8 is still a very important economic player in 2020, and has actually been going through a bit of renaissance for the past 5+ years, its very noticeable even since I moved in 2015.

Yes, Philadelphia was an industry focused city, but the reason it has recovered (and still is recovering) is due to the fact that Philadelphia (city and suburbs) has a diverse economy and has remained relevant by reinventing and investing itself in a diverse economy, the recent boom in life sciences is a perfect example.

I swear some people on here think Philadelphia is Binghamton or Youngstown or something... Philadelphia one of the largest and most thriving metros in the nation, I don't know why that is so hard for some posters to comprehend.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
No, Philadelphia is not the 2nd city of the United States, but it has been a major player since before the United States was a country, and its the only city other than New York to hold that title.
Many cities have blown up and fizzled over the years, but Philadelphia while now #6-8 is still a very important economic player in 2020, and has actually been going through a bit of renaissance for the past 5+ years, its very noticeable even since I moved in 2015.

Yes, Philadelphia was an industry focused city, but the reason it has recovered (and still is recovering) is due to the fact that Philadelphia (city and suburbs) has a diverse economy and has remained relevant by reinventing and investing itself in a diverse economy, the recent boom in life sciences is a perfect example.

I swear some people on here think Philadelphia is Binghamton or Youngstown or something... Philadelphia one of the largest and most thriving metros in the nation, I don't know why that is so hard for some posters to comprehend.
We live in an age when an blight or grit or affordability is seen as somehow unnatural in cities. Lingering blight is somehow a definite indicator of total economic failure for a city. People are no longer willing to just say “oh it’s just those neighborhoods” if there blight in the city the city is backwards or not innovative or falling apart.

People have rapidly grown so accustomed to new and luxurious in cities that Philly rubs people the wrong way and leads them to a host of illogical assumptions about the importance or health of the city.

I think Philly is 7 or 8

Old 04-02-2020, 01:09 PM

I love grit. And how can you not love affordability. I like Phillies charm.

I'm not sure if I offended but my prior post but I do wish Philly the best.
When I visit cities it's the oldest, grittiest or roughest areas that peak my interest.
Although I love trees, I do not like block after block of spotless concrete.

I always visit downtown when I visit Vegas.
The stench of the French Quarter brings a joy to my heart.
New York City's 'wildlife' intrigues me.

If I had to pick the top 6 urban cores I would like to live it would have to be New York, Philly, Boston, Baltimore, New Orleans and San Francisco. No particular order
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City