Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 10:19 AM

142 posts, read 86,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Come on now.There are more than a few people on here who say Atlanta who arent actually Atlanta posters. For some reason even though there have been good arguments that would place Atlanta over Philly, you dont want to see it.
I say Atlanta but I can see why some would say Philly.I dont think either answer is wrong. Especially considering its less than a 50 million GDP and Atlanta has a much faster growing economy and population . Not to mention a bigger cultural reach than Philly.
As I sated beforeallas and Houston surpassed Philly in GDP within the last 10 years and Atlanta with its growth is on track to do it probably within the next 5 years
Maybe its you that is closed mined
There was some ganging up on posters who denied Atlanta's full arrival as as the Nations Black-mecca city. It also was pushed.

Reading past threads it was heated. As posters remember they had to tone it down. Less confrontations are occuring.

The label of hating a city is prevalent by some city posters hitting back in a pack. Not merely for Atlanta. But a couple others recently and in the past more.

The more locals a city has see they need to boost their city's arrival or percieved betterment to boast of and defend. The more polls show that city voted for more.

Another is their city forums and if they lash out on visitors and non-locals who post. Especially not praising a city's arrival by growth, acknowledging its urbanity and cores.

Don't take much to note a North defending vs South boosting arrival on C-D. Sometimes it got heated and thier city gains the reputation by its pro-boosters in C-D forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 10:30 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Assuming #7 went to Houston, which it looks/sounds like from discussions here and brief moment the #7 thread up, it would really boil down to where all of the Boston/Houston votes go to. I noted before that I would think alot of #6 Boston votes would go to Houston.... and now where do those votes go to? Atlanta will probably maintain as those forumers never vote for anyone else but would they get new voters? I think alot of the Boston votes that went to Houston would then rebound to Philly.
I will say people in Boston are more familiar with Atlanta than Houston and there’s more ties between those two cities than Boston-Houston. So idk if all those Boston votes would go to Houston over ATL

Old 04-07-2020, 10:49 AM

142 posts, read 86,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I will say people in Boston are more familiar with Atlanta than Houston and there’s more ties between those two cities than Boston-Houston. So idk if all those Boston votes would go to Houston over ATL
It is no surprise that Eastern US city posters sway more to the Eastern southern cities DC thru Charlotte, Atlanta thru Florida. Northern retirered folk too.

I believe Texas cities gains more Midwestern transplants and Western. Of course migrations southward in general by companies continuing relocations there steering migrations and which cities grow fastest as cheaper alternatives to corporations to relocate too.

Milder winters merely part of the equations as any major reason. Far less retirements northward too.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:52 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
True. And although Atlanta certainly isn't as historic as Boston nor does it have as many colleges and universities, those are two categories where Atlanta does have some clout, more so than Houston. And both Boston and Atlanta serve as the de facto capital of their respective regions.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:23 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
San Francisco
Atlanta/Boston
Philadelphia/Houston/Dallas
Miami/Seattle

Old 04-07-2020, 11:47 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True. And although Atlanta certainly isn't as historic as Boston nor does it have as many colleges and universities, those are two categories where Atlanta does have some clout, more so than Houston. And both Boston and Atlanta serve as the de facto capital of their respective regions.
Boston Braves became Atlanta Braves

Some people have called Boston “white Atlanta” (it’s not-not a party city and entertainment capital like ATL)

closer to ACC territory/BC recruits heavily from Georgia.

Many Bostonians move to Atlanta or Georgia to retire or for cheaper COL. In fact, the QB of my HS football team was born in Boston, moved to Marietta and came back to Live in Foxboro as a teenager.

MLK attending BU, my mother and many of my own friendS attended Spelhouse/Clark Atlanta

abolitionists history

both small cities with large metros

And as you mentioned tech/universities

Old 04-07-2020, 12:59 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Not discrediting any connections. I was just going off of alot of conversation around Houston being #7 on here and also for the brief moment where we had the #7 thread up, Houston was leading by a wide margin. The troll that created multiple accounts voted for Dallas so that didn't affect the Houston vote.

Purely an initial assumption of where those Boston/Houston votes would go IF Houston was deemed #7.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:09 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Nah I'm pretty confident in my ranking. I don't think any city is ever tied. Atlanta is above Philadelphia. Philadelphia is above Miami and Dallas. My list is finalized and nothing will change my mind.
But you shuffled them around three times before finally settling on a rank.

That suggests to me that there are some areas where one's decision is open to (re)interpretation.

Of course, when it comes to choosing a city or region to live in, an overall ranking is pretty useless. On Quora, I get lots of questions related to Harvard, including questions about which university is the best in the country.

Every list I know of puts Harvard in that spot, and most global lists rank it as the best university in the world. But that doesn't mean that Harvard will be the best university for you to attend. Other schools may have greater strengths in certain disciplines or fields; for would-be computer scientists or software developers, for instance, MIT just down the road is the clear choice. Some may find the school's cultural mix of blueblood, urban-preppy, earnest suburbanite and soft-core geek not their cup of tea. Or maybe you'd be happier as a big fish in a smaller pond, in which case you should apply to Swarthmore or the University of Chicago. And so on. In which cases, who cares if it's #1? It shouldn't be your #1 if these cases apply.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:22 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Not discrediting any connections. I was just going off of alot of conversation around Houston being #7 on here and also for the brief moment where we had the #7 thread up, Houston was leading by a wide margin. The troll that created multiple accounts voted for Dallas so that didn't affect the Houston vote.

Purely an initial assumption of where those Boston/Houston votes would go IF Houston was deemed #7.
They need to re-do the thread and let people see who's voting. Houston had 6 votes within 10 mins of the thread's creation. I constantly watch things like that.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:31 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
They need to re-do the thread and let people see who's voting. Houston had 6 votes within 10 mins of the thread's creation. I constantly watch things like that.
Sorry! My plan was to use a combination of the following advice. Basically waiting a bit (at least a week) then creating a new thread with an open poll. Then at least we’ll be able to tell if folks are creating burner-accounts just to vote.

And I also plan to re-create #7, not jump to #8. The last one was way too short-lived to be conclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Aelita View Post
let’s keep using this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Might as well wait a few as I think the spammer will stuff the ballot again.
Lots of weird stuff happening lately. There was the large jump in bored for Dallas last week now looks like it's the same for ATL. The spammer said he voted for Philly but looks like ATL is the city that spiked in votes.
Quote:
Open voting! Let them see who voted what.. this might deter spammers as well since we'll be able to see what city they are trying to boost.

It's a new day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City