Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 02:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston Braves became Atlanta Braves

Some people have called Boston “white Atlanta” (it’s not-not a party city and entertainment capital like ATL)

closer to ACC territory/BC recruits heavily from Georgia.

Many Bostonians move to Atlanta or Georgia to retire or for cheaper COL. In fact, the QB of my HS football team was born in Boston, moved to Marietta and came back to Live in Foxboro as a teenager.

MLK attending BU, my mother and many of my own friendS attended Spelhouse/Clark Atlanta

abolitionists history

both small cities with large metros

And as you mentioned tech/universities
Good points. The two have a few more connections/similarities than I initially realized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 02:59 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good points. The two have a few more connections/similarities than I initially realized.
Atlanta’s Universities are probably more engrained in Downtown/midtown than Boston’s are in its urban core.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:13 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Atlanta’s Universities are probably more engrained in Downtown/midtown than Boston’s are in its urban core.
I mean Suffolk and Emerson are buying tons of buildings.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:41 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Does the average person know that? Does it make any difference? Could most people even tell? They don’t have campuses. They’re pretty much amorphous smaller less prestigious schools that just blend in.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Imagine if Northeastern was in the North End and the South End has BU.

That’s what Georgia State and GTech are like.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:51 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Does the average person know that? Does it make any difference? Could most people even tell? They don’t have campuses. They’re pretty much amorphous smaller less prestigious schools that just blend in.
He has a point: it's impossible to tell when you're on the "grounds" of either of those schools.

Northeastern and BU, OTOH, actually have campuses.

But (btownboss4) I don't understand the distinction you're making between these two schools and Georgia State/Georgia Tech. Both BU's and Northeastern's campuses sit at the point where Green Line branches emerge from subway tunnels very close to the city core (unless you consider Kenmore Square and the Prudential Center/Symphony Hall area not part of the city core). Those locations seem to me like they're "engaged with the city" enough. The North End may be right next to downtown, true, but there is a bit of separation between Downtown and the South End - Chinatown and the Theater District come in between them and the Mass. Pike/NEC ROW form a barrier much like the Central Artery used to be.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
He has a point: it's impossible to tell when you're on the "grounds" of either of those schools.

Northeastern and BU, OTOH, actually have campuses.

But (btownboss4) I don't understand the distinction you're making between these two schools and Georgia State/Georgia Tech. Both BU's and Northeastern's campuses sit at the point where Green Line branches emerge from subway tunnels very close to the city core (unless you consider Kenmore Square and the Prudential Center/Symphony Hall area not part of the city core). Those locations seem to me like they're "engaged with the city" enough. The North End may be right next to downtown, true, but there is a bit of separation between Downtown and the South End - Chinatown and the Theater District come in between them and the Mass. Pike/NEC ROW form a barrier much like the Central Artery used to be.
Yeah but Georgia state’s campus begins about 2 blocks from 5 points. It’s like if Faneuil Hall was part of BU.

There really is no way but “Downtown” to answer the question “where is GA State”

There is no way anyone with even a passing knowledge of Boston would call Northeastern or BU Downtown.

Last edited by btownboss4; 04-08-2020 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-17-2020, 10:04 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
But you shuffled them around three times before finally settling on a rank.

That suggests to me that there are some areas where one's decision is open to (re)interpretation.
MarketStEl, yes perhaps Philadelphia does just barely clinch the #8 spot over Atlanta (yes, now changing my mind, yet again). I would really be interested to see a Battle for #8 poll, which might shed better light on this.

I think we can all agree the results above clearly show a consensus on the #6 position belonging to Boston. Which, I agree.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:11 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
MarketStEl, yes perhaps Philadelphia does just barely clinch the #8 spot over Atlanta (yes, now changing my mind, yet again). I would really be interested to see a Battle for #8 poll, which might shed better light on this.

I think we can all agree the results above clearly show a consensus on the #6 position belonging to Boston. Which, I agree.
Yeah, I guess now is as good a time as any to retry the #7 thread. Again, I don't think the last #7 thread was conclusive enough to jump to #8 after only 2 days of voting, 59 votes, and multiple posts on the thread claiming burner accounts.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:58 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah but Georgia state’s campus begins about 2 blocks from 5 points. It’s like if Faneuil Hall was part of BU.

There really is no way but “Downtown” to answer the question “where is GA State”

There is no way anyone with even a passing knowledge of Boston would call Northeastern or BU Downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i mite be exposing my ignorance but having visited atlanta, i never even heard of emory before this thread.
i remember walking past georgia state university somewhere near downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City