Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 04:46 AM

29 posts, read 24,759 times

Advertisements

I would definitely agree that Boston is the sixth city of the US.

When I quickly drafted up my own list I found out I feel pretty strongly about the first six. But after that, from 7 onward, I am pretty open to change. If we are looking at straight up cities only, then San Jose would be added to this list:

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco

6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Dallas
9. Atlanta
10. Miami
11. Philadelphia
12. Seattle

13. Minneapolis-Saint Paul
14. Denver
15. San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 07:25 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancolorado View Post

When I quickly drafted up my own list I found out I feel pretty strongly about the first six. But after that, from 7 onward, I am pretty open to change. If we are looking at straight up cities only, then San Jose would be added to this list:

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco

6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Dallas
9. Atlanta
10. Miami
11. Philadelphia
12. Seattle

14. Denver
15. San Diego
At the very least Philadelphia would be in the # 10 spot.

Buts its more

6. Boston
7-10. Houston/Philadelphia/Dallas/Atlanta (all extremely close) can we just drop this already.

11-12. Seattle/Miami

And no to San Jose...

Old 04-23-2020, 07:51 AM

75 posts, read 39,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
At the very least Philadelphia would be in the # 10 spot.

Buts its more

6. Boston
7-10. Houston/Philadelphia/Dallas/Atlanta (all extremely close) can we just drop this already.

11-12. Seattle/Miami

And no to San Jose...

In reality, Philadelphia would be 5th - 7th. Only in this forum would Miami be considered a city above Philadelphia.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:57 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevielake View Post
In reality, Philadelphia would be 5th - 7th. Only in this forum would Miami be considered a city above Philadelphia.
It would be hard to find a handful of people on here that would rank Miami over Philly.
But Phily is not 5-7. Boston and SF have outpaced Phily and would occupy that 5 and 6 spot.

Most people here would say 7-10 but I think it is more 7-8

1. NY
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DC
5. SF
6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia
9. Atlanta
10. Dallas
11. Seattle
12. Miami
13. Detroit
14. Phoenix
15. Denver or Minneapolis

Old 04-23-2020, 03:11 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It would be hard to find a handful of people on here that would rank Miami over Philly.
But Phily is not 5-7. Boston and SF have outpaced Phily and would occupy that 5 and 6 spot.

Most people here would say 7-10 but I think it is more 7-8

1. NY
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DC
5. SF
6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia
9. Atlanta
10. Dallas
11. Seattle
12. Miami
13. Detroit
14. Phoenix
15. Denver or Minneapolis
Great list; I'd personally switch Dallas and Atlanta, but otherwise matches exactly my feelings.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:33 PM

75 posts, read 39,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Great list; I'd personally switch Dallas and Atlanta, but otherwise matches exactly my feelings.
Philadelphia + Houston should be over Boston.

Houston should've been 5 imo, but that's a debate for another time.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Thanks. Why would you switch them?
DFW had a much bigger GDP but I can't think of any other reason to put it over ATL.
Atl wipes DFW butt on education, culture and important institutions such as the CDC

How I look at it is there isn't really any location in DFW that you can drop someone off and describe is importance. And the primary city is easily the weakest in the top 10

NY, Chicago, and LA speak for themselves
DC has the museums, history and all those government institutions
SF city proper alone wouldn't put it in the top 10 but it's pull has allowed top notch academic institutions, research and of course monster industries nearby
Boston follows closely with even better academics and powerful industies too
Houston isn't built like most of the others but top notch in important sectors such as shipping, manufacturing and energy. Rice is the second highest ranked university in the region after Duke and its medical center is massive. It's fine art institutions are top in its region.

Philadelphia has history, culture, top notch schools and a major player in pharmacy

Atlanta I ranked lower because it doesn't have a flagship economy. It does have quality institutions such as the CDC, great schools and culture.

DFW is large and has a large GDP. Apart from that of is the only metro in the top 10 without any top 50 schools. It doesn't have a flagship economy, it's fine art lags that of Atlanta and Houston. Without its surrounding metro it would probably be on the level of San Diego as its only importance is size and GDP. Atlanta is important with or without is metro.

Seattle major weakness is it is smaller. Compare the Seattle metro to Dallas metro division and it easily out ranks Dallas. It's academic and cultural institutions are better

Miami is even worse than Dallas, except for culture. Like Dallas is educational institutions are not impressive and its importance is more foreign than national.

Detroit had been on a slow and painful downfall but still important

Old 04-23-2020, 05:27 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Thanks. Why would you switch them?
DFW had a much bigger GDP but I can't think of any other reason to put it over ATL.
Atl wipes DFW butt on education, culture and important institutions such as the CDC

How I look at it is there isn't really any location in DFW that you can drop someone off and describe is importance. And the primary city is easily the weakest in the top 10

NY, Chicago, and LA speak for themselves
DC has the museums, history and all those government institutions
SF city proper alone wouldn't put it in the top 10 but it's pull has allowed top notch academic institutions, research and of course monster industries nearby
Boston follows closely with even better academics and powerful industies too
Houston isn't built like most of the others but top notch in important sectors such as shipping, manufacturing and energy. Rice is the second highest ranked university in the region after Duke and its medical center is massive. It's fine art institutions are top in its region.

Philadelphia has history, culture, top notch schools and a major player in pharmacy

Atlanta I ranked lower because it doesn't have a flagship economy. It does have quality institutions such as the CDC, great schools and culture.

DFW is large and has a large GDP. Apart from that of is the only metro in the top 10 without any top 50 schools. It doesn't have a flagship economy, it's fine art lags that of Atlanta and Houston. Without its surrounding metro it would probably be on the level of San Diego as its only importance is size and GDP. Atlanta is important with or without is metro.

Seattle major weakness is it is smaller. Compare the Seattle metro to Dallas metro division and it easily out ranks Dallas. It's academic and cultural institutions are better

Miami is even worse than Dallas, except for culture. Like Dallas is educational institutions are not impressive and its importance is more foreign than national.

Detroit had been on a slow and painful downfall but still important
What do you mean "flagship economy"?Thats not a good thing. Houston was in a slight downturn before this vius thing,I cant imagine its in any better shaoe now do to historic low oil prices.

Many cities dont have flagship economies.I dont even think NYC

Old 04-23-2020, 05:50 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancolorado View Post

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco

6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Dallas
9. Atlanta
10. Miami
11. Philadelphia
12. Seattle

14. Denver
15. San Diego
This looks good except I would include Detroit as the leader of that last grouping. Phoenix probably belongs in that group too.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
What do you mean "flagship economy"?Thats not a good thing. Houston was in a slight downturn before this vius thing,I cant imagine its in any better shaoe now do to historic low oil prices.

Many cities dont have flagship economies.I dont even think NYC
Don't confuse things.
You area thinking of cities reliant on just one industry.
That's not the same as flagship.

You are right that most cities don't have a flagship because most cites are not in the top 10.
NY most certainly has A flagship it is finance. Chicago and LA are both manufacturing and Shipping.
SF is tech, DC is Government, Boston is education, pharma and Tech, Houston is energy, manufacturing and shipping, Philly is Pharma, Seattle is Tech, Dallas isn't really a major player in anything.

Now I never said cities have to focus on one sector. That is bad. But you have to be good at something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City