Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megaregion do you prefer?
Austin-San Antonio, TX 47 51.09%
Orlando-Tampa, FL 45 48.91%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 06:41 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
uhh, what? Where on earth did I say that? People on here sure are sensitive.
Below:

Quote:
Obviously Orlando has flights everywhere, given that it's a massive tourism economy...
No one is being sensitive, i'm just curious why people feel the need to reply to me and say "its about regions", when I'm replying to your post where you mentioned just one city. So of course I reply asking about one city.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that Austin has a sufficiently good airport that has nonstops to most every domestic place I'd actually want to go, and international flights can generally be done with one hop.

While certainly Orlando's airport has more flights, Austin's is good enough that the airport would be quite low on the list of reasons to pick one place over the other for me. For what it's worth, the post I replied to did actually originally suggest that Central Texas is downright difficult to fly out of. Though I think they realized that was being a little silly and edited the post afterwards. (Kudos for that..)
I'm well aware of what youre saying. Yes Austin has a good airport for its size, and so does Tampa. Even with the tourism, Orlando still punches well above its weight. Yet again....no one said Austin or San Antonio's airports arent good enough since yall keep saying "hey the airports work for me."

One poster said that it was easier to get to places by plane and car from central Texas than central FL and made a ridiculous claim that central FL has to fly to Charlotte to get anywhere. My whole point is that, it's not true...the drive times, airport destinations, airlines, and cruise ports back that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
SATX tourism is not on the same level as Orlando.
Obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 07:24 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Obviously.
I’m just trying to understand why anyone would have an expectation that they would have direct flights to similar destinations Orlando has.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I’m just trying to understand why anyone would have an expectation that they would have direct flights to similar destinations Orlando has.
I never said that...

Old 09-07-2021, 07:31 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
I never said that...
Quote:
Doesnt San Antonio have great tourism? Why cant it get a flight to at least Canada. You cant discredit Orlando. TPA holds its own, but MCO has a very impressive list. One of only 12 cities with a Dubai flight and a large base to LATAM. Even Orlando's secondary airport has flights to basically every major city in the UK. Too bad those are ending in October, but a wave of Canada flights will be taking the place. The only city Orlando/Tampa is really missing is Paris.
Not saying anything for / nor against Orlando, just trying to understand why one would expect SATX to have competition against its Airport.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:45 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Orlampa because you are closer to ocean.
The Atlantic is an ocean the gulf sorta.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 09-07-2021 at 08:01 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Not saying anything for / nor against Orlando, just trying to understand why one would expect SATX to have competition against its Airport.
I feel like I have already explained this 5 times. Someone implied Orlando has all the destinations it has simply because of tourism. So I asked, why doesn't San Antonio have a larger list of destinations when it is has good tourism too. It was not a completely literal question.

SAT is the 2nd busiest airport in the US without a flight to Canada - #1 being Dallas-Love, though DFW is right there. Does that mean San Antonio sucks? No.

No one was comparing the two airports directly. I was simply making a point that regardless of tourism or business, the airports are the way they are and have what they have. Orlando is one of only 2 airports in the southeast with a flight to Dubai. It doesn't matter why they have Dubai, its still there and central FL residents can take advantage of it if they want to.

Austin is getting flights to Amsterdam, Tampa's still havent came back. It doesn't matter why, all that matters is come spring 2022 you can fly direct to AMS from Austin and as of now, cant from Tampa. Orlando has AMS, but thats besides the point.

And again, the reason this is a discussion is because it was implied central FL is more isolated and has less access to other cities. We see that's not the case.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:31 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
The Atlantic is an ocean the gulf sorta.
Still dont need to drive few hours to the water.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:23 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
I feel like I have already explained this 5 times. Someone implied Orlando has all the destinations it has simply because of tourism. So I asked, why doesn't San Antonio have a larger list of destinations when it is has good tourism too. It was not a completely literal question.

SAT is the 2nd busiest airport in the US without a flight to Canada - #1 being Dallas-Love, though DFW is right there. Does that mean San Antonio sucks? No.

No one was comparing the two airports directly. I was simply making a point that regardless of tourism or business, the airports are the way they are and have what they have. Orlando is one of only 2 airports in the southeast with a flight to Dubai. It doesn't matter why they have Dubai, its still there and central FL residents can take advantage of it if they want to.

Austin is getting flights to Amsterdam, Tampa's still havent came back. It doesn't matter why, all that matters is come spring 2022 you can fly direct to AMS from Austin and as of now, cant from Tampa. Orlando has AMS, but thats besides the point.

And again, the reason this is a discussion is because it was implied central FL is more isolated and has less access to other cities. We see that's not the case.
San Antonio is nowhere close to Orlando in terms of tourist traffic. The reason Orlando has the flights it has is because a ****load of people travel to Disney world every year. That's not a criticism, it's a fact.

I understand considering that to be a benefit of living in Orlando, particularly for a road warrior business traveler, but for me I don't see it being a big difference, as it isn't particularly hard to get direct flights out of Austin. I don't fly out of SAT and am not familiar with that one, but I imagine that it's fine as well.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
San Antonio is nowhere close to Orlando in terms of tourist traffic.
...I am well aware of this and never said that it was. You would think that would be obvious to everyone.

Quote:
The reason Orlando has the flights it has is because a ****load of people travel to Disney world every year. That's not a criticism, it's a fact.
Orlando would still have more flights than Austin and San Antonio anyways and more international destinations. Floridians can use them all. If anything, Disney World gets thanks for giving central Florida even more options to escape. So its still a plus.

Quote:
I understand considering that to be a benefit of living in Orlando, particularly for a road warrior business traveler, but for me I don't see it being a big difference, as it isn't particularly hard to get direct flights out of Austin. I don't fly out of SAT and am not familiar with that one, but I imagine that it's fine as well.
Thats great for you and I'm glad you enjoy Austin Bergstrom and that its enough for you...but the discussion was about travel to other places outside of the regions - in general, and Central FL has more of it.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:11 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
But it's only 30 minutes from Downtown St. Petersburg, which is part of this discussion.
Downtown St. Pete to SRQ would typically be more like 45 minutes+, out of season and/or out of rush hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City