Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megaregion do you prefer?
Austin-San Antonio, TX 47 51.09%
Orlando-Tampa, FL 45 48.91%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 02:17 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Downtown St. Pete to SRQ would typically be more like 45 minutes+, out of season and/or out of rush hours.
We're going to have to disagree on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 07:44 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
San Antonio is nowhere close to Orlando in terms of tourist traffic. The reason Orlando has the flights it has is because a ****load of people travel to Disney world every year. That's not a criticism, it's a fact.

I understand considering that to be a benefit of living in Orlando, particularly for a road warrior business traveler, but for me I don't see it being a big difference, as it isn't particularly hard to get direct flights out of Austin. I don't fly out of SAT and am not familiar with that one, but I imagine that it's fine as well.
To me, SAT seems a bit underserved, given that the San Antonio metro area boasts a population of almost 2.6 million. Yes, I know, there's more that goes into an airport's level of service than just the resident population. But still . . .

Old 09-08-2021, 01:49 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To me, SAT seems a bit underserved, given that the San Antonio metro area boasts a population of almost 2.6 million. Yes, I know, there's more that goes into an airport's level of service than just the resident population. But still . . .
I can't judge it and have never seen inside of it but I personally feel that population alone is not a good indicator of the expectations of airport effectiveness. I'm no expert on SATX but I don't believe their business affairs and touristic opportunity truly require a robust airport. Being realistic here, how many people from overseas or across country boundaries are going to want a deadeye to San Antonio?

Old 09-08-2021, 02:56 AM

325 posts, read 203,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I can't judge it and have never seen inside of it but I personally feel that population alone is not a good indicator of the expectations of airport effectiveness. I'm no expert on SATX but I don't believe their business affairs and touristic opportunity truly require a robust airport. Being realistic here, how many people from overseas or across country boundaries are going to want a deadeye to San Antonio?
If there's any euro flights that I can see SA getting... it's Frankfurt and MAYBE London. Other than that I can't see where the demand would be.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:42 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
We're going to have to disagree on this.
Lifelong Manatee County resident with family that lives in Old Northeast. Plus, you know, Google Maps, and all. So, disagree all you want, I guess....

Old 09-08-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Lifelong Manatee County resident with family that lives in Old Northeast. Plus, you know, Google Maps, and all. So, disagree all you want, I guess....
I flew into SRQ 18 months ago, and stayed in Gulfport. Door to door it was 30 minutes, granted it was 10:30pm. The point being though is that SRQ should be counted as a convenient alternate Bay Area option. Many people in St. Pete and southern Hillsborough use Sarasota-Bradenton Int'l.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:29 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I flew into SRQ 18 months ago, and stayed in Gulfport. Door to door it was 30 minutes, granted it was 10:30pm. The point being though is that SRQ should be counted as a convenient alternate Bay Area option. Many people in St. Pete and southern Hillsborough use Sarasota-Bradenton Int'l.
I get what your overall point was (and I'm probably being pedantic), but I was just pointing out that you were being just slightly hyperbolic in your micro-claim in order to bolster your macro-claim. I mean, the 45-50 minutes it's going to take most people to do that drive still does a good enough job of illustrating what you wanted to accomplish. Can it be done in 30 minutes at 10:30 at night? Sure. It is about a 35 mile drive, though, which would mean averaging 70mph on a route where not a single speed limit hits 70. In fact, probably a good 35-40% of that drive is on surface streets where the speed limit doesn't top 45. So, that's not just speeding, it's significantly speeding.

Just curious, though, why did you fly into SRQ over one of the closer airports to your destination?

Old 09-08-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I get what your overall point was (and I'm probably being pedantic), but I was just pointing out that you were being just slightly hyperbolic in your micro-claim in order to bolster your macro-claim. I mean, the 45-50 minutes it's going to take most people to do that drive still does a good enough job of illustrating what you wanted to accomplish. Can it be done in 30 minutes at 10:30 at night? Sure. It is about a 35 mile drive, though, which would mean averaging 70mph on a route where not a single speed limit hits 70. In fact, probably a good 35-40% of that drive is on surface streets where the speed limit doesn't top 45. So, that's not just speeding, it's significantly speeding.

Just curious, though, why did you fly into SRQ over one of the closer airports to your destination?
It was a fairly last minute trip, and everything from ATL to TPA was sold out.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
SRQ is the 4th option for most people in Tampa and St Pete, so the drive is really not that important, even though it can take anywhere from 35 to an hour depending where you are. It's still an option nonetheless, and has an impressive above-average amount of destinations and airlines for its size, even though TPA and PIE are right there. You can fly to half of the US states and Canada from SRQ, but most Tampans will still easily choose TPA or MCO first.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
SRQ is the 4th option for most people in Tampa and St Pete, so the drive is really not that important, even though it can take anywhere from 35 to an hour depending where you are. It's still an option nonetheless, and has an impressive above-average amount of destinations and airlines for its size, even though TPA and PIE are right there. You can fly to half of the US states and Canada from SRQ, but most Tampans will still easily choose TPA or MCO first.
Yeah, and PIE isn't an option for us. Sure would love for Delta to fly there, they could fill 2 or 3 daily flights easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City