Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megaregion do you prefer?
Austin-San Antonio, TX 47 51.09%
Orlando-Tampa, FL 45 48.91%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 10:59 AM

169 posts, read 126,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Correct. The city also has plans to build a new downtown subway system. Just recently Telsa founder Elon Musk stated that he will start building tunnels under Austin connecting downtown to the Airport as well as connecting to the new GigaTexas factory in East Austin.
If you’re talking about a similar concept of what he built in Vegas, then it’ll be a boondoggle not worth the time, cost, or headache. For Austin’s sake, I hope you’re mistaken.

Last edited by InterestingArm3750; 08-16-2021 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
What exactly is the debate? Who has a better future? Because I feel like theyre both about the same. Singularly, Austin I guess gets the edge, but Orlampa to Atonio, I'd probably give the edge to I4. Orlampa is not letting South Florida stop it and Atonio is not being stopped by the beasts of DFW and Houston.

Both regions lack things they should have, but also have things they probably shouldn't. The only real standout here is that Austin has gone condo and office crazy and is building a million glass buildings that all look the same. Austin will look like Miami before Orlando or Tampa do, but I think that gives it an edge in anything. Besides Tampa has Water Street which is basically the same thing, just shorter towers. And Orlando is still building and infilling, just obviously not as tall either because of restrictions.

I dont feel like this is a race that has an obvious winner. Both regions have good potential and seem to have leadership that actually realizes it. Can't speak as much for Atonio, but the changes Tampa and Orlando have gone through in 5 years, let alone 10, almost makes your head hurt. They wont be recognizable in another 5-10.
Lol no. Water Street is nothing like what is being built in Austin. Austin is building a huge supply of towers, housing, and campuses for global, multibillion dollar corporations. Water Street is the largest development by a SINGLE developer, but it isn’t anything special. It’s special for Tampa because nothing like it has ever occurred in that region. But almost every large city is building several Water Street-type developments, just from different developers. Austin has several BILLIONS in the pipeline for large-scale development that Tampa simply cannot match.

Tampa has changed a lot recently. So has Orlando. And they will continue to change as they keep growing. But the level of growth and development Austin has seen over the past decade+ is only rivaled by NY, LA, Miami, and Seattle. And what is currently under construction/approved in Austin absolutely puts Orlampa to shame all by itself.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:21 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post
Lol no. Water Street is nothing like what is being built in Austin. Austin is building a huge supply of towers, housing, and campuses for global, multibillion dollar corporations. Water Street is the largest development by a SINGLE developer, but it isn’t anything special. It’s special for Tampa because nothing like it has ever occurred in that region. But almost every large city is building several Water Street-type developments, just from different developers. Austin has several BILLIONS in the pipeline for large-scale development that Tampa simply cannot match.

Tampa has changed a lot recently. So has Orlando. And they will continue to change as they keep growing. But the level of growth and development Austin has seen over the past decade+ is only rivaled by NY, LA, Miami, and Seattle. And what is currently under construction/approved in Austin absolutely puts Orlampa to shame all by itself.
Water Street is the largest downtown development in the country.

I dont really care how much Austin is building. I know it's Manhattanizing. That doesn't make it special. Raleigh is just as red hot and isn't building a million shiny towers. Apple is bringing 4,000 $100k jobs to Raleigh, and that likely wont include skyscrapers, and who cares?

Austin, Tampa, Orlando, and San Antonio are all developing in different ways, but are all prospering right now. Yes Water Street is huge for Tampa, but it would be huge anywhere else. Nor is WS the other thing happening the Bay. There is much more happening in Orlando that whats seen in the core.

Austin is leading the pack and is an it girl city right now, but what is happening in Austin is not new or earth shattering. And it all looks the same and is putting strains on the infrastructure. It's not all positive. What's happening in Austin is remarkable, especially in such a short amount of time, but it is not king of the universe. I dont think Tampa or Orlando are concerned that theyre not throwing up as much.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Water Street is the largest downtown development in the country.
No. It isn’t. By what measure? Not dollars and not square feet. Unless you’re really harping on the word “downtown.” Water Street is the largest by a single developer but many other cities have billions under construction in their CBDs that dwarf Water Street by a considerable margin. Miami alone has at least $10B in development either under construction or about to start construction in its core.

Quote:
I dont really care how much Austin is building. I know it's Manhattanizing. That doesn't make it special. Raleigh is just as red hot and isn't building a million shiny towers. Apple is bringing 4,000 $100k jobs to Raleigh, and that likely wont include skyscrapers, and who cares?

Austin, Tampa, Orlando, and San Antonio are all developing in different ways, but are all prospering right now. Yes Water Street is huge for Tampa, but it would be huge anywhere else. Nor is WS the other thing happening the Bay. There is much more happening in Orlando that whats seen in the core.
It’s not about skyscrapers. Austin’s development obliterates Tampa’s. Water Street is important to Tampa but it would be a blip in Seattle, NYC, LA, Miami, and yes, Austin. It just isn’t that impressive. It’s similar in size and scope to what’s being built in Orlando’s Creative Village, which isn’t that impressive either, not in comparison to these other cities. You’re speaking like a person that hasn’t traveled much.

Quote:
Austin is leading the pack and is an it girl city right now, but what is happening in Austin is not new or earth shattering. And it all looks the same and is putting strains on the infrastructure. It's not all positive. What's happening in Austin is remarkable, especially in such a short amount of time, but it is not king of the universe. I dont think Tampa or Orlando are concerned that theyre not throwing up as much.
Agreed. It isn’t anything remotely special, but it’s larger-scale and more important than what’s happening in Tampa and Orlando. It puts everything in perspective. If you’re unimpressed with Austin, why are you touting Water Street, which is far less impressive? I get being impressed with Water Street and Midtown and Channelside and all that, because Tampa has never seen this kind of development or investment, but it’s just starting to play catch up and Austin is way out front.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:57 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
^ Congratulations. I really dont care whether Austin is ahead or how far it is. I already acknowledged that what's happening there is substantial and of the four cities, its currently #1 in that regard. I dont care exactly how much of a #1 it is. Nor did I say I was unimpressed, I said a lot of the towers going up look the same. I say the same thing about New York and Miami. That said I wouldn't be mad if Tampa was condo crazy like Austin.

People seem to have an inferiority complex when talking about Austin for it to be such a force right now. Noticed I never said Tampa is blowing Austin out of the water, I gave both of them their props, but you seem certain to let me know Austin is unbeatable right now to everyone but New York. Congratulations. My "Orlampa-Atonio" opinion is still the same.

I also assure you I'm very well traveled. Have been to 18 different states during the pandemic, including random states like Wyoming, and almost West Virginia, even though my job is not one that requires me to travel. Not that it matters or that you care.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:02 PM

12,828 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
^ Congratulations. I really dont care whether Austin is ahead or how far it is. I already acknowledged that what's happening there is substantial and of the four cities, its currently #1 in that regard. I dont care exactly how much of a #1 it is. Nor did I say I was unimpressed, I said a lot of the towers going up look the same. I say the same thing about New York and Miami. That said I wouldn't be mad if Tampa was condo crazy like Austin.

People seem to have an inferiority complex when talking about Austin for it to be such a force right now. Noticed I never said Tampa is blowing Austin out of the water, I gave both of them their props, but you seem certain to let me know Austin is unbeatable right now to everyone but New York. Congratulations. My "Orlampa-Atonio" opinion is still the same.

I also assure you I'm very well traveled. Have been to 16 different states during the pandemic, including random states like Wyoming, and almost West Virginia, even though my job is not one that requires me to travel. Not that it matters or that you care.
He/she just said Austin wasn't that impressive?

Old 08-17-2021, 09:38 PM

323 posts, read 260,064 times
Orlando-Tampa for sure!

Old 08-30-2021, 09:43 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That's not what I'm talking.
Did you read the post?
I am talking about sustainability of desirability.
Orlando isn't as congested as Austin. Economics peak and slump, who knows what lay ahead for Orlando.

We do however know what's ahead for Austin if it doesn't ramp up infrastructure. Austin with another 33% growth is 750K more people. Just imagine how pleasant the city will be with 750k additional people when it already clogged as it is.

Best case scenario, Austin develops monster suburbs and becomes just another sprawly Texas city
I assume your post is in response to my reply.
First, Orlando at 114 square miles is less than half the size of the City of Austin which covers 327 square miles. Austin is more densely populated (3,162 people/sq. mile vs 2,628 for Orlando) but compared to most US cities of 500K residents or more, there is plenty of space within city limits in which to build.
https://www.governing.com/archive/po...ities-map.html

Second, while Orlando's drivability ranks very high, per a Wallethub study, Austin is also top 20.
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...64#methodology. I would rank Austin worse myself but its not my methodology.

Third, Orlando's public transit ranking is pretty dismal
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...512-story.html A second study is more favorable to Orlando for public transit, placing it at 56th but Austin ranks considerably higher at 20th.

Fourth, Austin is a state capital. One thing can be said is state capitals, like the nation's capital, are less prone to economic slumps. That's because while spending will be cut in a recession, the capital is hurt less with job loss than satellite office areas of a state. There's also the UT at Austin there to provide stability. Last, Austin's core industries are leading/core economic businesses unlike Orlando's reliance on a discretionary/luxury industry of AMUSEMENT parks and conventions., i.e. tourism.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:19 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Speaking of train service, I'm not sure if it's been brought up yet here that Brightline will eventually expand commuter train service from the Miami area (including Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach) northwest to the Orlando airport in the next few years. I believe long term they may consider expanding train service even further west to Tampa, but that who knows when that phase of construction will begin?

And I'd say you're right, that I get that sense Austin could probably use more infrastructure and transit to help people get around there. Correct too their population grew very quickly, that traffic overwhelms a lot of parts of Austin. At least that city is working to expand their light rail system. And that Elon Musk will build an underground train commuter system, to help get workers to the GigaTexas factory.
Brightline from Ft.Lauderdale to Orlando definitely sounds interesting and I honestly haven't been keeping up to tabs with that project. IMHO it would be better if it was a HSR from Downtown Miami straight to Downtown Orlando. Will there be a transfer to commuter rail when arriving at ORD?

Old 09-03-2021, 06:30 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,720 times
*Saustin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City