Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indianapolis vs St. Louis
Indianapolis 42 34.71%
St. Louis 79 65.29%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 03:26 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
St Louis above Indy? Oh that's cute.

Things to do in St. Louis:
1. Nice and Free Zoo?
2. The Arch. I went up in it when I was a kid. One time is enough.
3. A Cardinals game? I won't even go there.

Face it: St. Louis is a boring city.

BTW, St. Louis has nothing to say about the crime rate in Indianapolis.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the...in-america/50/
St. Louis is a lot of things, positive and negative, but boring certainly isn't one of them. If you can only come up with three things to do in a region of almost three million people the problem is you...

As for crime, yeah, Indy does has something to say as its MSA is often worse than the St. Louis MSA. City only is just like 10% of St. Louis, while it's the majority of Indy so that's an incredibly skewed way to try and compare them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 06:06 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,654,719 times
Quote:

1. Nice and Free Zoo?

Another ignorant comment from someone who has not bothered to explore any neighborhoods outside of downtown St. Louis. That’s actually not a terrible thing, because St. Louis is kind of like a natural filter: the people who take the opportunity to understand it and seek out its soul and energy will love it (there is so much- MUCH more happening than the much smaller metro in this poll); the ones that don’t who aren’t that adventurous and need their excitement spoonfed to them can dismiss it as “boring” if they want to. The truth is, boredom says more about the person than the city.

Last edited by STLgasm; 05-14-2020 at 06:47 AM..

Old 05-14-2020, 05:42 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I generally agree with this.
No offense, but crime-wise, Indy is on par with certain I-65 cities to the south that you may be familiar with.
St. Louis really is pretty bad, but the city itself is fairly small and most suburbs are quite good and many of those have a decent amount of character. Even in the city, there are some pretty decent places to live if one’s so inclined. Problem with St. Louis is, it really depends on its suburbs to maintain relevancy more than average.
I don’t know. Flip a coin. I also wouldn’t live in either one.
I would choose to live in Carmel if I chose Indy and likely Clayton or Frontenac for St. Louis. My great uncle lives in Soulard. He is retired from GM.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:09 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
Quote:

1. Nice and Free Zoo?

Indianapolis' nickname is literally naptown.

I'm not a fan of Saint Louis because I can't support a city that was forefront in urban renewal and destroyed so much of its beauty in the 1960s on purpose. To me Saint Louis is a city of scars and an indelible manifestation of failed American urban policy.

But Indianapolis has no character. Indianapolis is the hospital version of a city: sterile, characterless, devoid of identity. And Saint Louis is far funner.

Saint Louis is lots of things, but boring isn't one of them.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:15 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I would choose to live in Carmel if I chose Indy and likely Clayton or Frontenac for St. Louis. My great uncle lives in Soulard. He is retired from GM.
Umm. You must be really planning to spend some cash. Lol.

I was speaking with a client in Memphis who wants to live in Clayton. Recent college graduate, looking forward to a thriving teaching career. I told him unless you have a million to drop on a single family home and able to handle taxes, Clayton is for the wealthy. Frontenac is just as bad.

What about Creve Coeur or Maryland Heights? Soulard is pretty good. Lafayette Square is where my Nashville friend lives and he loves it here.

I just so happen to really enjoy my visits to Indianapolis. Outside of my visits to Chicago, I think it's my favorite weekend getaway. Saying a city is better than another is really subjective to that person experience with that city. It's kind of hard for me to say Indianapolis is the better city when I live in St. Louis and only visit Indianapolis. I can say Indianapolis doesn't interest me because lack of transit and I refuse to live in a MSA smaller than St Louis. That doesn't make it better or anything its just a preference.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

I was speaking with a client in Memphis who wants to live in Clayton. Recent college graduate, looking forward to a thriving teaching career. I told him unless you have a million to drop on a single family home and able to handle taxes, Clayton is for the wealthy. Frontenac is just as bad.

What about Creve Coeur or Maryland Heights? Soulard is pretty good. Lafayette Square is where my Nashville friend lives and he loves it here.

I just so happen to really enjoy my visits to Indianapolis. Outside of my visits to Chicago, I think it's my favorite weekend getaway. Saying a city is better than another is really subjective to that person experience with that city. It's kind of hard for me to say Indianapolis is the better city when I live in St. Louis and only visit Indianapolis. I can say Indianapolis doesn't interest me because lack of transit and I refuse to live in a MSA smaller than St Louis. That doesn't make it better or anything its just a preference.
I almost mentioned Creve. Clayton is better though. Ughh, those damn taxes though lol. I feel you on transit. Both cities have good traffic flow despite the lack of mass transit for Indy. Indy has a fast growing healthcare and biotech industry which is in my field.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:14 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Granted, it's been years since I've been to either, but St Louis I felt had more of a diverse feel, maybe because there's less Jesuit type universities there.

Indy struck me as a very midwestern, Jesuit, football type place.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:43 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

I agree with your post, I live on the east coast and I like traveling to both of these places and they’re pretty equal to me. Unfortunately I don’t have reason to go as often as I’ve had in the past. St Louis has history and nice suburbs and a large interstate system while Indy seems newer and more modern and their downtown is pretty cool. To me though, all US cities are worth visiting but as you stated people do have preferences and specifically geographic ones and that’s usually what drives opinions here.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I agree with your post, I live on the east coast and I like traveling to both of these places and they’re pretty equal to me. Unfortunately I don’t have reason to go as often as I’ve had in the past. St Louis has history and nice suburbs and a large interstate system while Indy seems newer and more modern and their downtown is pretty cool. To me though, all US cities are worth visiting but as you stated people do have preferences and specifically geographic ones and that’s usually what drives opinions here.
You are absolutely right. It is like shopping. You look, compare, and window shop before choosing a location. Keep the receipts lol.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:49 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Tickler View Post
To be fair, their are a lot of condos and apartments in Clayton. I know plenty of non-wealthy 20 somethings that live in Clayton.
I guess I was just considering the new highrises that are starting at 3 to 400k. It's good to see affordable options in a high quality area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City