Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:14 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times

Advertisements

Asheville for sure. Spokane is underrated, but definitely not on Asheville's level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 08:48 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
I found Spokane to be very underwhelming. Not at all what I expected.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:06 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I found Spokane to be very underwhelming. Not at all what I expected.
How so? Can you share some observations, feedback, etc.?

Old 05-14-2021, 05:42 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Politically I believe the cities are polar opposites

Old 05-14-2021, 11:29 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It’s close for me. I think I would enjoy the culture in Asheville more, but the outdoors in Spokane might be slightly better for my tastes, just because the Cascades are way prettier than the Appalachians in my book.

However, I think I would still go with Asheville by a hair.
Spokane is actually closer to the Northern Rockies and Selkirks. Technically the mountains just outside of Spokane is part of the Rockies.

Spokane feels and looks very blue collar. There are some nice parts though. Winters are harsh compared to Asheville. It is also in the middle of nowhere being an equal distance between Calgary and Seattle.

Old 05-15-2021, 04:52 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Its basically barren, mountainous or hilly in many areas, and mostly a cold desert

This is basically what Eastern WA looks like. I took these while driving there for the first time.

I really think the OP meant Olympia and confused the towns. I dont see Spokane being able to stand to Asheville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Those are pictures of the Palouse. Spokane is on the edge of the Palouse but isn't actually in it. Spokane has some mountains around it and has some forest and trees. Doesn't look anything like those pictures.
Nope those pics aren't the Palouse. The first one is on US-395 near Plymouth crossing the Columbia river. The second one is on I-82 in the lower Yakima valley, Third one is I-82 between Yakima and Selah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Thirty or so miles south of Spokane it looks like the pictures you posted.
No, it doesn't. This is near Rockford, about 30 miles south of Spokane. It's all wheat fields and Ponderosa Pine.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:27 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Asheville. One of my favorite cities to visit. I homeschooled my kids up through 10th grade and NC is very homeschool friendly. Asheville had a very large, active homeschool group. One of the best homeschool sports programs in the state as well. The city of Asheville itself has really high housing costs. Buying Power isn't good. But Henderson, Haywood, and Madison Counties are more affordable and in are in the Asheville metro. You'll get more bank for your buck.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:17 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Asheville is more progressive and much more hippie-ish. Spokane is very blue collar and Midwest feeling. If you somehow transported Spokane to the middle of Iowa, culturally it wouldn't feel that out of place.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:16 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
How so? Can you share some observations, feedback, etc.?
Maybe it has to do with expectations. Lots of praise here and elsewhere and it underwhelmed. It has more poverty than I expected. Lots of small homes that are poorly maintained. Lots of property crime. It's somewhat scenic in ways that are very reminiscent of towns in PA, but when you factor in location, it's like "what's the point?". It's ok at best. If I were to move to the PNW, I wouldn't consider Spokane.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:34 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Maybe it has to do with expectations. Lots of praise here and elsewhere and it underwhelmed. It has more poverty than I expected. Lots of small homes that are poorly maintained. Lots of property crime. It's somewhat scenic in ways that are very reminiscent of towns in PA, but when you factor in location, it's like "what's the point?". It's ok at best. If I were to move to the PNW, I wouldn't consider Spokane.
I totally agree that it's all about expectations. If you visited Spokane after years of people referring to it as "Spokompton" and expected nothing but methheads and trailer parks, you may be pleasantly surprised. If you were expecting Santa Cruz or today's Asheville, well, not so much.

The only thing I disagree with you about is the appeal of the location, though that's of course a very subjective thing. A lot of people like the look and feel of the Intermountain West, and there just aren't many decent-sized metros in the region. So, Spokane/CDA as a metro offers a lot (relatively) of urban amenities in a sparse corner of the country. It's close to Cascades, Canadian Rockies, American Rockies, Okanogan region, and other interesting landforms, from near desert to the Palouse.

In terms of look and feel, it's a lot better than it was. When we moved from CO to WA, I was insistent with my wife that Spokane would be a solid place to buy a house or two, investment-wise. It has surprisingly good bones and character, and being an important old railroad town, had a good high inventory of reasonable homes. We passed, as it "wasn't there yet" in my wife's eyes, and she was right the time, but I knew that when people were priced out of the bigger markets, it would start gentrifying rapidly. I was right, and it's now among the hottest markets in the country, along with Coeur d'Alene.

Back to the comparison, it's really like apples to oranges between these two, with quite different flavors. We left CO seeking something that reminded me of Asheville (I used to live in Western NC), and found Bellingham to be far more of a kindred spirit than Spokane. That said, given the OP's stated preference, I actually think Spokane may be more to their liking, but it's a haul. I'd suggest they give serious consideration to Roanoke, Knoxville, Greenville (SC), or Chattanooga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City