Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 04:09 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
You guys are cracking me up. Football, what Americans call soccer, is king. Noone really knows or cares about basketball across the continent. Netball, a kind of basketball without dribbling and played by women is more popular. American football is even less relevant. The success of any US city's basketball team is going to have a very tiny effect on that city's reputation anywhere in Africa- from Cairo to Cape Town. Oprah is and was MUCH more famous than any basketball player or team. So edge Chicago there. LMAO at the basketball references
Lol people love to try and downplay Americas cultural relevance world wide it’s so lame because it’s more or less not true- I know it’s like showing your cultural relativism and social awareness but it’s cap. People know these squads and enjoy American culture in the hypermajority of the world.

Basketball is quite popular in Africa and fairly wildly played- I only spent like 6 months there. I even played a Basketball Academy in Senegal (long story, but it’s the game I managed to catch giardia during that game). When I arrived in Senegal we went to a boys military school (I was an all boys school myself) me being black a bunch of kids asked me if I played basket and football, and if I was a runningback. Yes they asked me that at 16..they’re very aware. Don’t sell them short.

Patriots are the most popular football team in Germany (and in Europe. https://www.google.com/search?q=patr...&client=safari) and just sold out a stadium there 4 days ago despite being trash now. There like a dozen Patriots bars in Germany- and a franchise recognized fan club…It’s not the Bears.

Is Oprah more famous than John F Kennedy?

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 11-15-2023 at 04:19 PM..

Old 11-15-2023, 06:17 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lol people love to try and downplay Americas cultural relevance world wide it’s so lame because it’s more or less not true- I know it’s like showing your cultural relativism and social awareness but it’s cap. People know these squads and enjoy American culture in the hypermajority of the world.

Basketball is quite popular in Africa and fairly wildly played- I only spent like 6 months there. I even played a Basketball Academy in Senegal (long story, but it’s the game I managed to catch giardia during that game). When I arrived in Senegal we went to a boys military school (I was an all boys school myself) me being black a bunch of kids asked me if I played basket and football, and if I was a runningback. Yes they asked me that at 16..they’re very aware. Don’t sell them short.

Patriots are the most popular football team in Germany (and in Europe. https://www.google.com/search?q=patr...&client=safari) and just sold out a stadium there 4 days ago despite being trash now. There like a dozen Patriots bars in Germany- and a franchise recognized fan club…It’s not the Bears.

Is Oprah more famous than John F Kennedy?
The US came in third in the FIBA WC it’s not irrelevant.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:42 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
RER can run on Transilien track (same loading gauge, same voltage, same track gauge). It can not run on metro track (different loading gauge, different voltage)

It’s a mainline train. They run double decker trains for gods sake.
Transilien trains run in part on RER tracks, but only a very small part of an RER A branch line during rush hour. This isn't a unique arrangement for metro systems. Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway do the same thing with other operators and those, too, are rapid transit systems and only two of the nine Tokyo Metro lines do not have that arrangement. The Tokyo Metro lines were built in different eras and some of them aren't even compatible in loading or rail gauge with each other.* Where they are compatible, they will sometimes have arrangements to use common infrastructure. That's just how transit work in systems that are run competently where tracks are sometimes operated as through services on a principle similar to telecom common carrier arrangements. This is something that the US should be doing as well, and again, the lowest hanging fruit for creating rapid transit service within multiple US cities including the three of this topic is to shift commuter rail operations as they are now towards a RER-like system (or the kind of arrangements that high frequency passenger train services in major Japanese metropolitan areas do. You don't know what you're talking about. I am certain you have never used mass transit to and from CDG. It functions as and is a metro system. You should just admit you were mistaken. You goofed the EWR connections and yet you just pretend that never happened instead of admitting the mistakes. What good is that? You're pushing misinformation for no good reason.

Yes, some RER lines run double decker trains because despite high frequencies, they are over capacity and since much of the network started as commuter rail lines initially, a lot of the existing infrastructure already allowed for such. Rather than taking away capacity when they knew demand was going to go way up with the higher frequency and through-running, they kept that capacity intact. They don't idle at stations for long though as traditional services might tend to do, so you better not **** up on a crowded train by still being on the upper deck when you're close to an urban center stop.

*Note that NYC subway also does not have compatible loading gauges with each other with a split between division A and division B. I'm pretty sure the T's metro lines also don't have compatible loading gauges. This does not disqualify them from being metro. Going further out, Philadelphia's Broad Street Line and Market-Frankford Lines do not have compatible loading or track gauges, but both are commonly accepted as rapid transit systems, metro systems.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-15-2023 at 07:27 PM..

Old 11-15-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Transilien trains run in part on RER tracks. This isn't a unique arrangement for metro systems. Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway do the same thing with other operators and those, too, are rapid transit systems and only two of the nine Tokyo Metro lines do not have that arrangement. The Tokyo Metro lines were built in different eras and some of them aren't even compatible in loading or rail gauge with each other.* Where they are compatible, they will sometimes have arrangements to use common infrastructure. That's just how transit work in systems that are run competently where tracks are sometimes operated as through services on a principle similar to telecom common carrier arrangements. This is something that the US should be doing as well, and again, the lowest hanging fruit for creating rapid transit service within multiple US cities including the three of this topic is to shift commuter rail operations as they are now towards a RER-like system (or the kind of arrangements that high frequency passenger train services in major Japanese metropolitan areas do. You don't know what you're talking about. I am certain you have never used mass transit to and from CDG. It functions and absolutely is a metro system. You should just admit you were mistaken. You goofed the EWR connections and yet you just pretend that never happened instead of admitting the mistakes. What good is that? You're pushing misinformation for no good reason.

Yes, some RER lines run double decker trains because despite high frequencies, they are at massive capacities.

*Note that NYC subway also does not have compatible loading gauges with each other with a split between division A and division B. I'm pretty sure the T's metro lines also don't have compatible loading gauges. This does not disqualify them from being metro. Going further out, Philadelphia's Broad Street Line and Market-Frankford Lines do not have compatible loading or track gauges, but both are commonly accepted as rapid transit systems, metro systems.
The RER is a mainline railroad. It is a commuter rail. High frequencies don’t make it a thing that it’s not.

It runs big trains, on high voltage wire vs low voltage 3rd rail.

The Green line isn’t a metro line. That doesn’t make it useless. It makes it not a metro line. Even if the D line “functions like” a Metro line.

Yes EWR requires like a 1000ft airport people mover ride to the commuter rail since the highway doesn’t have a ped bridge.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
The RER is a mainline railroad. It is a commuter rail. High frequencies don’t make it a thing that it’s not.

It runs big trains, on high voltage wire vs low voltage 3rd rail.

The Green line isn’t a metro line. That doesn’t make it useless. It makes it not a metro line. Even if the D line “functions like” a Metro line.

Yes EWR requires like a 1000ft airport people mover ride to the commuter rail since the highway doesn’t have a ped bridge.
High frequency all day service, low fare, fare gates, massive ridership numbers with high counts per mile of operation, seat arrangements meant to accommodate standing passengers during crush periods, limited crew operations, almost complete segregation from mainline rail except for the small patch with Transilien on a small part of one branch, high platform, complete grade separation, operating in an urban area and created *specifically* to be an express metro system (a "metropolitan express"). You don't think there are catenary metro systems out there? Hong Kong doesn't have a metro system anymore? It sometimes seems like your pushing an argument because you had already decided that what you said had to be true and so you're trying to shove anything you can to make it fit something you had already decided. The problem with doing that when what you decided upon isn't actually true is that you end up escalating it into ever odder arguments. Why do this?

And yea, the Green Line in Boston is absolutely not a metro line. No one claimed it was. No one claimed the Paris Tramway system was a metro system either. What was that supposed to be in relation to? Maybe that there's a gradient of sorts? Sure, that's true. Some light rail lines end up having a lot of metro system qualities and sometimes get termed premetro systems. Pretty much no one will say that's what the Green Line is. There is also a gradient between metro and commuter rail systems. Some S-Bahn systems are on one side of that. BART and Washington Metro are on the others side of that and almost universally considered metro systems, but they are also on the spectrum where they have some characteristics of a commuter rail system especially BART. RER lines are somewhat on the Washington Metro side of things. Transilien though is not near being a metro, and almost no one would consider it that despite having some of the features.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-15-2023 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-15-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
High frequency all day service, low fare, fare gates, massive ridership numbers with high counts per mile of operation, limited crew operations, almost complete segregation from mainline rail except for the small patch with Transilien on a small part of one branch, high platform, complete grade separation, operating in an urban area and created *specifically* to be an express metro system (a "metropolitan express"). You don't think there are catenary metro systems out there? Hong Kong doesn't have a metro system anymore? Are you making things up now? What is going on here? It seems like your pushing an argument not because of any of the actual facts, but because you had already decided that what you said had to be true and so you're trying to shove anything you can to make it fit something you had already decided. The problem with doing that when what you decided upon isn't actually true is that you end up escalating it into ever more ridiculous arguments. Why do this? Why just make up more and more misinformation?

And yea, the Green Line in Boston is absolutely not a metro line. No one claimed it was. No one claimed the Paris Tramway system was a metro system either. What was that supposed to be in relation to?
I feel like the fact they run mainline train cars on mainline track run by the national rail carrier is a pretty solid argument for it being not a metro. It’s basically not affiliated with the metro at all. It’s not express trains on the Paris metro. It’s a superset system in the same city

If your definition is it kind of acts like a metro, well then, JFK has a metro station too.

The London overground is fast frequent and has Oyster Card comparability but, isn’t a metro. Because it’s a mainline train on mainline track run by national rail. And is not a metro. But even then it’s better integrated with the Underground

Anyway this is way off topic. You are going to continue to claim the RER is a metro due to its service and I will not because of its engineering specs. Than that is that.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I feel like the fact they run mainline train cars on mainline track run by the national rail carrier is a pretty solid argument for it being not a metro. And *it’s not the metro*.

If your definition is it kind of acts like a metro, well then, JFK has a metro station too.

The London overground is fast frequent and has Oyster Card comparability but, isn’t a metro. Because it’s a mainline train on mainline track run by national rail. And is not a metro.

Anyway this is way off topic. You are going to continue to claim the RER is a metro due to its service and I will not because of its engineering specs. Than that is that.
It is not *the* Metro as in not the Paris Metro. Sure. That's a separate system. No one claimed it was Paris Metro--the claim is that it is a metro system and RER *is* a metro system. Making it a metro system was the entire point of creating it in the first place!

What are you trying to say mainline track is here? There must be some kind of idiosyncratic definition you're using here because RER is pretty much completely segregated from other systems except for a tiny portion of one branch where Transilien runs. RER is run by RATP on some lines and RATP also runs the Paris Metro. SNCF runs some other lines, and while SNCF does run the national railway, the RER is run separately from its mainline trains.

No one claimed London Overground is a metro system. Its closest Parisian analogue is the Transilien and not RER. The Elizabeth Line is closer to RER. It's amazing how quickly you'll put up random points and how quickly you'll drop them like you just did again with catenary somehow being a disqualifier.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
It is not *the* Metro as in not the Paris Metro. Sure. That's a separate system. No one claimed it was Paris Metro--the claim is that it is a metro system.

What are you trying to say mainline track is here? There must be some kind of idiosyncratic definition you're using here because RER is pretty much completely segregated from other systems except for a tiny portion of one branch where Transilien runs. RER is run by RATP on some lines and RATP also runs the Paris Metro. SNCF runs some other lines, and while SNCF does run the national railway, the RER is run separately from its mainline trains.

No one claiemd London Overground is a metro system.
Even if they largely don’t share track with out her services it’s built to spec. The power train is the same the loading gauge is the same the the track gauge is the same.

The RER trains run routes on the national system. Even if no other trains interline with them most of the time. If they wanted to run those trains to Lyon they could. They can do whatever they want with service patterns between the RER and Transilen. If they wanted to throw some cross country trains into those RER tunnels they could if they wanted to.

Also the Elizabeth line/Criss rail, not a metro line either. TFL agrees with me.

Metro trains can not. Even if you could get power to them on mainlines, they’d like blow up. Since they run on 1/2 the voltage.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Even if they largely don’t share track with out her services it’s built to spec. The power train is the same the loading gauge is the same the the track gauge is the same.

The RER trains run routes on the national system. Even if no other trains interline with them most of the time. If they wanted to run those trains to Lyon they could. They can do whatever they want with service patterns between the RER and Transilen.

Metro trains can not. Even if you could get power to them on mainlines, they’d like blow up. Since they run on 1/2 the voltage.
Yea, and RER trains aren't the only metro systems that run on that voltage and via catenary. Somehow you've just convinced yourself that metro systems elsewhere and that everyone agrees are metro systems can no longer be such because you had arbitrarily decided that you can impose new restrictions on what is a metro system. This is ridiculous.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Yea, and RER trains aren't the only metro systems that run on that voltage and via catenary. Somehow you've just convinced yourself that metro systems elsewhere and that everyone agrees are metro systems can no longer be such because you had arbitrarily decided that you can impose new restrictions on what is a metro system. This is ridiculous.
You’re the one who just kinda decided it’s a metro if the trains come often enough.

RER is a brand of service that runs specific routes on the national rail system. It’s like other Overground or Merseyrail not the NYC subway. It’s not a metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City