Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you Prefer?
Austin 92 78.63%
Oklahoma City 25 21.37%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 02:35 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

I like Austin and hate the state of Oklahoma as a whole, so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 04:17 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Austin

Old 04-30-2020, 04:38 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I like Austin and hate the state of Oklahoma as a whole, so...
right on. ou is the worst.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Austin's new tallest is under construction and will rise slightly taller than Devon. Austin has a minor league NBA team (Austin Spurs) and one professional soccer team (Austin FC).

True

Neither are on my favorite city list. This comparison is lopsided, not as bad as the one on another thread, but definitely two different tier cities. Austin is my preference due to the visionary leaders and organizations that have essentially scraped up a lowly midsize college town and have transformed it into a major city.

Last time I was there at a UT football game, the endorsemen, the drive to make Austin #1 in the nation was very clear. They have done a fantastic job of promoting the city for the last 20 years.

Oh my, Austins skyline, the quick changes in such a short time.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Due to the prolific influence of frontier culture and Evangelical Protestant Christianity, people in Oklahoma City are naturally friendlier and more effusive than people in Austin. In my experience, people in Austin, consistent with people in other liberal, trendy cities with an abundance of transplants and robust IT sectors (e.g., Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.), are more introverted and less down-to-earth than people on the Great Plains. Consequently, people in Austin are more likely to avoid smiling and direct eye contact with strangers than people in Oklahoma City, and they are not particularly conversational. Also, people in Austin trend towards avant-garde and kitschy styles and trends, are more likely to belong to a visible minority group and often have that "Texas arrogance" about them. As a result of this conflation, people in Oklahoma City are much more approachable, especially to the average American.
Interesting, comparison. Effusive, I'd describe Sacramento that way in comparison to SoCal and the Bay Area. Did this influence of "frontier culture" affect Austin too? I know it affected Sacramento. Sacramento had more of the Catholic humble influence, as well, you see way more Catholic Churches compared to Baptist churches. How about Austin and OKC?

Old 04-30-2020, 05:35 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I'll try and play devil's advocate here lol since I know the way most people will go, and probably even the way my preference would lean (towards Austin, as it is a more happening place)

1. Urban Form/Neighborhoods: Bricktown looks like a very tourist/family friendly place to hang out when visiting in downtown, and I'm not sure Austin's core has something quite like that. It also has a decent CBD area activity-wise, and surrounding neighborhoods like Midtown and Paseo. It's funny... because OKC really did have an earlier and more prominent start, it was a city of 185K in 1930 compared to Austin which only had 50K. Obviously, things have turned since then but my point is that in Austin it's really apparent that, until recently, it was a town. OKC might have more traditional bones on a certain level.
Town Lake?
5th & 6th Street?
Shoal Creek Trail?
Waller Creek Greenbelt?

Quote:
2. Culture/Museums: The area where Austin pulls away is obviously music, and sheer creative presence within the city. However, I think Oklahoma City is still actually somewhat competitive when thinking about this in a traditional sense. In reading about both, Oklahoma City seems to have certain traditional civic things like an actual zoo, a science museum, a number of state organizations that come from it really being the "big dog" in the state (Austin is the capital, but shares things to an extent with other TX cities that were certainly older and more established), and also having certain national museums present there in niche areas (Cowboy/Western, Native American, even a Banjo Museum lol). I'd still give both these categories to Austin I think-but these are the cases I'd make for OKC on them.
Actually this is the opposite, OKC would probably have more Culture and Museums than Austin does. I would put Austin's music and play scene in the recreation category.

Quote:
3. Food/Drink Scene: Okay... I can't really do this one lol. The only thing I'll say for OKC is that it is large enough at this point that it probably does have a fair number of offerings for most culinary tastes that are pretty darn good still. Also, I tend to think I'd manage to find really good beef/steak in OKC, so that might be a win at least. I'm just thinking OKC might be more competitive on these if Norman and University of Oklahoma was right with OKC and not separate.
I would say Austin's culinary scene would probably be a bit better than OKC's

Quote:
4. Location: This is one I'll actually argue for OKC on. I think it's still just as close to Dallas as Austin is... but I give an edge for a place that's able to connect to multiple different regions easily, and to me, from OKC you can get to legitimately western looking, southern looking, and midwestern looking places within a 5 hour trip where you can't really do that from Austin.
I can agree with this.

Quote:
5. Scenery: I really don't think I can make a case on this one. If it was Tulsa, or Oklahoma as a whole, I could. I guess the only thing I could say is some of the same recreational amenities that exist and are nice about Austin (good recreational bike paths, lakes, a riverfront), are also present in Oklahoma City. Also in OKC I guess you can chase tornadoes, and that is kinda cool.
I can't agree with this.

I don't know anyplace in OKC that looks like this:

Quote:
6. Economic Opportunity: I won't argue for OKC being more economically dynamic, but I will say it has a growing economy that doesn't seem too bad. I will also say that the other side of the coin is beneficial in OKC. When I look at real estate prices, and what I could afford or the low amount of expenses I could have there... I drool almost lol. I could actually afford downtown living potentially which isn't really true in Tampa Bay where I am now or Austin. When looking at COL in relation to earnings, OKC, is one of the better values there is in the US.
Yes, however; Austin has more jobs paying higher salaries. This one is subjective as Austin and OKC are not tailored toward the same demographs.

Quote:
7. Amenities/Entertainment: OKC does have NBA. Plus Norman and Stillwater are close enough to head to for college sports any given night. Austin and it's region obviously has more going on to do overall-but I could find things to do in OKC, also.
Fair

Quote:
8. Climate: OKC I'm guessing gets intensely hot summers too but maybe a bit milder than Austin, and it also gets more of a real 4 season climate by comparison.
Austin also gets 4 seasons, we just have hellish summers. OKC would win here though, however; do not be decieved to believe that it does not get cold or rainy in Austin, we can get into the 30's within the blink of an eye between fall and spring and we also get flash flood storms fairly regularly during the spring.

Quote:
9. Traffic/Transit: I can legitimately argue for OKC on this one too. It has a working, albeit small, rail system which covers downtown and surrounding neighborhoods pretty well. Also, OKC>>>Austin on traffic.
I can definitely agree on this. OKC has a much better highway layout and far fewer natural barriers than Austin does.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:52 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You know many Austin fans here have defended Sacramento. But as you can see even sacramento residents hate Austin. Austin can’t win
It's winning by 73%. No need to preemptively play victim in the third post...it's unwarranted.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:51 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Town Lake?
5th & 6th Street?
Shoal Creek Trail?
Waller Creek Greenbelt?
Town Lake and Shoal Creek are great parks, and I’d say as amenities go, Austin’s metropolitan recreation is its strongest facet. It’s the best in the American south in this regard and among the best in the country. The the third one actually seemed a bit destitute and like a homeless gathering spot (that is Waller Creek). 6th Street/5th Street is no doubt way more vibrant than Bricktown, but it didn’t strike me as a place with all that much for kids/families specifically. If there was a more family friendly spot in Downtown Austin, it’s probably the 2nd Street area... but frankly South Congress, or The Domain, strike me more as the type of places families with kids would go in Austin. OKC, similar to SA Riverwalk, seems like a more family oriented spot (for better and worse) than 6th Street, but with a more country vibe instead of a Latin one. I’ve always kinda grouped OKC and SA, because of this (with SA probably still being more happening overall). Austin’s core strikes me (not good or bad, just impression) as catering very heavily to 18-35 demographic... or at least those without kids.. so it’s something to weigh when choosing where to live or visit.

Actually this is the opposite, OKC would probably have more Culture and Museums than Austin does. I would put Austin's music and play scene in the recreation category

-That makes sense then. Yeah, Austin has been booming but it is surprising how there are certain things you’d expect it to have, but it doesn’t. But then at the same time, I mean they have a presidential library.. and an Ellsworth Kelly Ecumenical Chapel. Austin is a mixed bag.

I would say Austin's culinary scene would probably be a bit better than OKC's
-I would feel perhaps more confident than you would about that. Austin strikes me as being particularly strong with coffee culture, German/Czech cooking, BBQ, Mexican. Also add to that health food options (Whole Foods is based there), and just the increased offerings of being a tourist city and one with a booming economy, providing options to spare, I would’ve said Austin has a more sizable lead here than any other category save for recreation/scenery. Perhaps I’m misinformed and OKC has more options than I am giving it credit for though.

I can agree with this.

I can't agree with this.

I don't know anyplace in OKC that looks like this:
Hahah-I probably didn’t state that as obviously as I should’ve, but I agree with you. OKC does have a waterfront, and trails and lakes... but there is nothing about the area’s scenery or recreation infrastructure that I think would be competitive with Austin, save for the fact that you can drive to some interesting stuff once you leave OKCs metropolitan boundaries. Realistically, this is a clear win for Austin.

Yes, however; Austin has more jobs paying higher salaries. This one is subjective as Austin and OKC are not tailored toward the same demographs.

-Completely agreed-and perhaps even someone like myself with my higher ed doctoral degree could find more and more lucrative opportunity there. I tend not to think of myself as a “skilled employee” in the sense that someone on a corporate track, or in tech, is.. but there very well might be excellent opportunities for me in Austin, and more limited ones in OKC too.. but that’s hard to say exactly, since I haven’t exactly looked in detail.

Austin also gets 4 seasons, we just have hellish summers. OKC would win here though, however; do not be decieved to believe that it does not get cold or rainy in Austin, we can get into the 30's within the blink of an eye between fall and spring and we also get flash flood storms fairly regularly during the spring.
-I believe that. From looking at climate charts, it does appear that Austin is much more subject to continental influences than Florida is. I also am not positive about the summers. Temperature wise I’m guessing it gets more moderate... but at the same time on several trips to mid America in Spring and Fall.. it can just be miserable and I’m almost starting to wonder if I hate humidity less than I really think. Lincoln, NE and Boulder, CO felt just as bad weather wise; almost worse than FL when I was there. Austin doesn’t seem to be “on the plains” as much in that way, where there’s just no breeze and relentless sun.

I can definitely agree on this. OKC has a much better highway layout and far fewer natural barriers than Austin does.
-The natural barrier argument is one I didn’t consider but it’s true. Austin has commuter rail.. but I generally nothing but complaints about it.. even comparable system designs in Orlando and Charlotte seem to get more use. I’m uncertain about OKC’s current system... but the nice thing about it would be at least from a sightseeing perspective it would seem to get me around to certain primary urban spots without a car pretty easily. I don’t know if it runs on weekends either.. but to me that would give it a leg up. Orlando nor Austin system run on weekends, which I guess I get, but some type of evening train I think for nightlife etc. people would use. As per traffic... Austin also doesn’t have that many in and out highways at this point because of geography-there’s a reason the intro to Office Space is the way it is... I experienced it : )

Old 04-30-2020, 07:03 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times
Like both cities, but will go with Austin.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:54 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
right on. ou is the worst.
There's just not much appealing to me about that whole state.

At least it's not Mississippi, though. I'll give it that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City