Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you Prefer?
Austin 92 78.63%
Oklahoma City 25 21.37%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 10:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What if Oklahoma copied after Texas and abolished the state income tax?
Dude... there is NOTHING that could get me to like or live in Oklahoma. I've been there.

If I wanted the Oklahoma experience, I'd just go Sherman for a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Could they really afford to?

Besides as much as I love Austin I'm not going to pretend our property tax is anything to sneeze at.
It's better for taxes to be consistently low, than the zero income tax, high consumption tax that corporate conservatives like.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:53 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Dude... there is NOTHING that could get me to like or live in Oklahoma. I've been there.

If I wanted the Oklahoma experience, I'd just go Sherman for a day.
Good for you, but you need to talk to your fellow Texans. In the summer time, southern Oklahoma looks like a refugee camp for Texans.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:46 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Good for you, but you need to talk to your fellow Texans. In the summer time, southern Oklahoma looks like a refugee camp for Texans.
Texas and Oklahoma have the same relationship as the US has with Canada. Austin and OKC have the same relationship as DC has with Ottawa.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:24 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
There's no denying that Austin is a pretty and vibrant place. And likely more than OKC (though, I'd be curious about seeing some pictures from there too at least!)
Here are some pictures that I like of OKC:

OKC Sunset - 04-17-20-16
by Jason Madrid, on Flickr

OKC Sunrise
by Derrick Daniels, on Flickr

The Bleu Garten 2
by William C. Coffman, on Flickr

Midtown Plaza
by Eric Golda, on Flickr

OKC National Memorial
by gordon huggins, on Flickr

The Mansion
by Kool Cats Photography over 13 Million Views, on Flickr

Bricktown Oklahoma

Bricktown OKC
by Thomas Bernstein, on Flickr

Icy Day
by EMBARK OK, on Flickr

Lunch on the Patio

The Paseo as the street is filled with tents
by Justin Waits, on Flickr

Red Earth Festival outdoors - OKC, OK
by SWP2011, on Flickr

Skydance Pedestrian Bridge, Oklahoma City, OK
by Jay Russ, on Flickr

Crystal Bridge - OKC
by Jay, on Flickr

Thunder Fountain
by Justin Waits, on Flickr

Thunderstorm Fountain and Crystal Bridge
by Robert Sparks, on Flickr

OKC Boathouse Glow
by Derrick Daniels, on Flickr

Old 05-06-2020, 08:29 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Which helps keep your economy afloat. A ton of Oklahomans move to Dallas when they graduate from high school.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
This thread is becoming a Texas v Oklahoma thread, which is a little absurd. You cannot really compare the second most populous state with the second largest economy and third largest geographic area with a small, much poorer one. Texas and Oklahoma share a border, college football rivalry and cattle and oil businesses, but otherwise they are not comparable at all, demographically, economically, politically, culturally.

OKC and Austin is a little more plausible, but are also very different. Numbers never tell the whole story but they do tell part of it. Austin is significantly larger, richer, way more liberal and better educated:

MSA population - OKC +- 1.4 million, Austin +-2.1 million
GDP per capita - OKC 43K, Austin 63K
percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher - OKC 36%, Austin 53%

OKC is now the most liberal city in Oklahoma, but Oklahoma county still voted for Trump by over 10% points. Travis county went for HRC by nearly 30% points in 2016

And the gap, which was widening before is only likely to widen further given OKC's economic dependence on Oil and Gas...

I would say Austin wins all of the OP's criteria handily, except for COL.

Urbanity: OKC should have better urban bones but it it does not. Very few downtowns in the U.S. were as decimated by urban renewal in the 1960s and 1970s as badly as OKC. While it is improving, I don't think downtown OKC will ever have the structural density it had in 1940...

Someone mentioned Tulsa upthread. Even though Tulsa is barely half the size of Austin, I think in certain ways, it might be a better comparison. Like Austin, it is green and hilly. The new Gathering Place is much closer to the Ladybird Lake Hike and Bike trail in Austin than anything I have seen in OKC. Tulsa is more architecturally distinguished than either OKC or Austin and also has better legacy institutions, which means it can be a little snooty in a way that neither OKC or Austin are. But Tulsa like Austin has more of a hipster artsy element in its core, a few great independent bookstores, an illustrious alternative music pedigree. It is home to the Woody Guthrie center. . .

That said, I don't think either Tulsa or OKC are peer cities to Austin. People who think Austin's peer cities are Boston or SF or even Seattle are on crack. Austin's peer cities are certain MSA's in the 2-2.5 million population range. I would say Sacramento is Austin's closest peer city: state capital of a large diverse state, a river runs through it, 4th largest city in its state, though Austin is a little more dynamic... Other peer cities would be San Antonio, Portland, Nashville, Columbus...

Old 05-06-2020, 01:16 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
This thread is becoming a Texas v Oklahoma thread, which is a little absurd. You cannot really compare the second most populous state with the second largest economy and third largest geographic area with a small, much poorer one. Texas and Oklahoma share a border, college football rivalry and cattle and oil businesses, but otherwise they are not comparable at all, demographically, economically, politically, culturally.

OKC and Austin is a little more plausible, but are also very different. Numbers never tell the whole story but they do tell part of it. Austin is significantly larger, richer, way more liberal and better educated:

MSA population - OKC +- 1.4 million, Austin +-2.1 million
GDP per capita - OKC 43K, Austin 63K
percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher - OKC 36%, Austin 53%

OKC is now the most liberal city in Oklahoma, but Oklahoma county still voted for Trump by over 10% points. Travis county went for HRC by nearly 30% points in 2016

And the gap, which was widening before is only likely to widen further given OKC's economic dependence on Oil and Gas...

I would say Austin wins all of the OP's criteria handily, except for COL.

Urbanity: OKC should have better urban bones but it it does not. Very few downtowns in the U.S. were as decimated by urban renewal in the 1960s and 1970s as badly as OKC. While it is improving, I don't think downtown OKC will ever have the structural density it had in 1940...

Someone mentioned Tulsa upthread. Even though Tulsa is barely half the size of Austin, I think in certain ways, it might be a better comparison. Like Austin, it is green and hilly. The new Gathering Place is much closer to the Ladybird Lake Hike and Bike trail in Austin than anything I have seen in OKC. Tulsa is more architecturally distinguished than either OKC or Austin and also has better legacy institutions, which means it can be a little snooty in a way that neither OKC or Austin are. But Tulsa like Austin has more of a hipster artsy element in its core, a few great independent bookstores, an illustrious alternative music pedigree. It is home to the Woody Guthrie center. . .

That said, I don't think either Tulsa or OKC are peer cities to Austin. People who think Austin's peer cities are Boston or SF or even Seattle are on crack. Austin's peer cities are certain MSA's in the 2-2.5 million population range. I would say Sacramento is Austin's closest peer city: state capital of a large diverse state, a river runs through it, 4th largest city in its state, though Austin is a little more dynamic... Other peer cities would be San Antonio, Portland, Nashville, Columbus...
Austin's peer cities are Nashville, Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte IMO.. although I think Charlotte is a bit ahead of Austin.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:18 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Which helps keep your economy afloat. A ton of Oklahomans move to Dallas when they graduate from high school.
Did you know that over the past decade or so the migration from Texas TO Oklahoma is higher than the migration from Oklahoma to Texas.

https://www.texastribune.org/2011/05...atterns-texas/

Quote:
The U.S. Census Bureau released data this week showing how many people moved to and from Texas in the last year. California sent more people our way than any other state — and we lost the most Texans to Oklahoma.
Granted this info is from 2011 but I chose to use it because it states it plainly.

I can find info like this up to 2015 or 2016 but it's harder to filter through.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:54 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Did you know that over the past decade or so the migration from Texas TO Oklahoma is higher than the migration from Oklahoma to Texas.

https://www.texastribune.org/2011/05...atterns-texas/

Granted this info is from 2011 but I chose to use it because it states it plainly.

I can find info like this up to 2015 or 2016 but it's harder to filter through.
IRS data (which is comprehensive, but does exclude some individuals) suggest that migration between Texas and Oklahoma has been virtually even in recent years. Looking at the "# Exemptions" column in the link below, Oklahoma received a net influx of 7 in-migrants from Texas, out of nearly 42,000 persons moving between both states during 2017-2018.

2017-2018 Migration Profile - Oklahoma

In many respects (not so much ethnic/cultural), Oklahoma City probably aligns better with San Antonio than it does with Austin. Both areas have modest income and educational levels, a low cost of living, moderate population growth rates and a large federal and military presence. There is even some synergy between Bricktown and the Riverwalk - more so than with Austin's key urban landmarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City