Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Northern Virginia 28 53.85%
Silicon Valley 24 46.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 11:46 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,718,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Looking at per capita incomes, Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties rank lower than Fairfax and Arlington counties.

Plus, the real estate prices in SV are much higher so my point about people having no money left over to buy a nice car after paying for housing still stands.?
???? SV is covered with Teslas, have you ever been?

You're looking at the wrong data, but given your silly glib posts, I'm not surprised. Software jobs pay over 2x in SV vs. NoVA, about $300k annually vs. $140k. The reason is not just lower base pay, but virtually no equity comp in NoVA. Look it up in the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages if you know how to use Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
???? SV is covered with Teslas, have you ever been?

You're looking at the wrong data, but given your silly glib posts, I'm not surprised. Software jobs pay over 2x in SV vs. NoVA, about $300k annually vs. $140k. The reason is not just lower base pay, but virtually no equity comp in NoVA. Look it up in the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages if you know how to use Google.
OK. On another note, why do you act like NoVA is unique in that people will ask you what you do for a living? Isn't asking someone what they do for a living just a standard ice breaker question wherever you are in the country? That's basically the first question I ask whenever I meet someone new.

Now if you're saying that NoVA is more career oriented than family oriented I get it, but simply asking people what they do for a living? That's a normal ice breaking question anywhere.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:26 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Anecdotally, Washingtonians seem to be aware they are particularly keen on asking this: https://wamu.org/story/16/01/14/why_..._for_a_living/

I’m guessing some of that probably bleeds into the surrounding region including NoVA.

Here’s results from a survey that a writer and linguist did on what she calls “second questions” which is what people normally ask after meeting someone and the usual how are you doing. This is the question that people use to sort of measure others initially: https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-hello/283860/

It makes sense that there are different preferences or likelihoods for different second questions in different places. I think the St. Louis preference for where did you go to high school is kind of neat.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-21-2020 at 06:47 AM..

Old 05-21-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Anecdotally, Washingtonians seem to be aware they are particularly keen on asking this: https://wamu.org/story/16/01/14/why_..._for_a_living/

I’m guessing some of that probably bleeds into the surrounding region including NoVA.

Here’s results from a survey that a writer and linguist did on what she calls “second questions” which is what people normally ask after meeting someone and the usual how are you doing. This is the question that people use to sort of measure others initially: https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-hello/283860/

It makes sense that there are different preferences or likelihoods for different second questions in different places. I think the St. Louis preference for where did you go to high school is kind of neat.
OK, well I guess Asian America is kind of different, then. Because I was taught as a kid that asking what someone does for a living is just the standard ice breaking question. Maybe that's because I grew up in Irvine, CA and Irvine residents and Asians are more career oriented. That's the first question I usually ask someone I just met, unless they have a thick accent, in which case I might ask where they're from.

Would you say Asians are simply more career oriented than Americans of other races and are also more likely to focus on what job you do and identify with their careers? I'm Chinese American, so maybe I just don't know white and black America well enough.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
OK, well I guess Asian America is kind of different, then. Because I was taught as a kid that asking what someone does for a living is just the standard ice breaking question. Maybe that's because I grew up in Irvine, CA and Irvine residents and Asians are more career oriented. That's the first question I usually ask someone I just met, unless they have a thick accent, in which case I might ask where they're from.

Would you say Asians are simply more career oriented than Americans of other races and are also more likely to focus on what job you do and identify with their careers? I'm Chinese American, so maybe I just don't know white and black America well enough.
Well, cultural differences do exist especially when it comes to more recent immigrants. Also, Asian Americans aren't monolithic since they come from a pretty wide variety of ethnicities and traditions, so I wouldn't paint this as an Asian American or Asian thing. I do think it's much less impolite among more recent (first couple of generations) arrivals of Han Chinese to ask such, though I do notice that it's mostly middle or upper middle socioeconomic brackets that ask this. Really wealthy or really working class Han Chinese don't seem to ask this so quickly. However, that's just my experience rather than a broad survey.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Well, cultural differences do exist especially when it comes to more recent immigrants. Also, Asian Americans aren't monolithic since they come from a pretty wide variety of ethnicities and traditions, so I wouldn't paint this as an Asian American or Asian thing. I do think it's much less impolite among more recent (first couple of generations) arrivals of Han Chinese to ask such, though I do notice that it's mostly middle or upper middle socioeconomic brackets that ask this. Really wealthy or really working class Han Chinese don't seem to ask this so quickly. However, that's just my experience rather than a broad survey.
I'm second generation, and Irvine is flooded with mostly recent arrivals from China and Taiwan. It's an upper middle class suburb. So I guess you can safely say that Irvine is very career oriented, too.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I'm second generation, and Irvine is flooded with mostly recent arrivals from China and Taiwan. It's an upper middle class suburb. So I guess you can safely say that Irvine is pretty career oriented, too.
I'm pretty familiar with Irvine and the Han Chinese community there, and from my experience, it is very much a "so what do you do?" kind of community, though sometimes that'll take a backseat to "where's your family from" as that kind of regionalism still plays out there in subtle ways. Of course, Irvine also has other peoples in it, but there always seemed to be a strong amount of self-segregation in Irvine and a pretty limited public sphere.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:52 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Looking at per capita incomes, Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties rank lower than Fairfax and Arlington counties.
Not the case. Here is the latest data from bea.gov

2018 Per Capita Income by County
San Mateo, CA $126,392
Santa Clara, CA $107,877

Arlington, VA $95,198
Loudoun, VA $78,070
Alexandria, VA $88,008
Fairfax, VA $82,441
Prince William $54,740

Old 05-21-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Yep, it definitely is. I'm pretty familiar with it, and from my experience, it is very much a "so what do you do?" kind of community, though sometimes that'll take a backseat to "where's your family from" as that kind of regionalism still plays out there in subtle ways. Of course, Irvine also has other peoples in it, but there always seemed to be a strong amount of self-segregation in Irvine and a pretty limited public sphere.
Well, I like Irvine, so if NoVA is that cookie cutter bland career oriented Irvine like place, then NoVA is for me.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Well, I like Irvine, so if NoVA is that cookie cutter bland career oriented Irvine like place, then NoVA is for me.
There's maybe some similarities, but there's also a lot of differences. Irvine's a lot more entrepreneurial and immigrant-heavy than NoVA, and in that, it's a lot like SV and non-beach city Orange County and South Bay are really similar in a lot of ways. NoVA and the DMV region is kind of in its own world due to the heavy federal presence and the kind of career ladders they have. Much of NoVA's like from a different family than Irvine while some of South Bay is like Irvine's more dynamic cousins.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-21-2020 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City