Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Northern Virginia 28 53.85%
Silicon Valley 24 46.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 07:57 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nope. Here is the latest data from bea.gov

2018 Per Capita Income by County
San Mateo, CA $126,392
Santa Clara, CA $107,877

Arlington, VA $95,198
Loudoun, VA $78,070
Alexandria, VA $88,008
Fairfax, VA $82,441
Prince William $54,740
Fine, but that doesn't account for the fact that COL is much higher in SV than NoVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 08:02 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Fine, but that doesn't account for the fact that COL is much higher in SV than NoVA.
Well, the odd part is that so much of what you say is simply incorrect or poorly argued. Or you make statements that are incorrect to argue something, but if the basis on which you're arguing is incorrect then it makes the whole argument bunk. It's almost like you're just spinning out stuff without much knowledge, but not self-aware enough to realize you've got a pattern of doing so and might need to check yourself.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:58 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Also never heard of anyone saying government jobs are fast paced and that innovation is slow paced. Now that's new.

And since when is it not a common ice breaker question outside of DMV/NoVA to ask someone what he does for a living?
Industries themselves aren't fast-paced or slow-paced, but workplace culture can play a role. The pace of a place has more to do with urban layout, walkability, the prevelance of transit, etc. and the big tech companies of SV seem to embrace a more casual vibe and a better work/live balance which could translate into a more relaxed pace.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:38 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not the case. Here is the latest data from bea.gov

2018 Per Capita Income by County
San Mateo, CA $126,392
Santa Clara, CA $107,877

Arlington, VA $95,198
Loudoun, VA $78,070
Alexandria, VA $88,008
Fairfax, VA $82,441
Prince William $54,740
This does little to expose the fact of more powerful/influential people living in NOVA. The directors of almost every major federal agency you can name live there.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Industries themselves aren't fast-paced or slow-paced, but workplace culture can play a role. The pace of a place has more to do with urban layout, walkability, the prevelance of transit, etc. and the big tech companies of SV seem to embrace a more casual vibe and a better work/live balance which could translate into a more relaxed pace.
I don't know. Maybe I'm just a fast paced guy, but I love the urban, transit oriented life, the crowds on a city street, and still don't see how any of that is more fast paced than a Bay Area rush hour car commute.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's maybe some similarities, but there's also a lot of differences. Irvine's a lot more entrepreneurial and immigrant-heavy than NoVA, and in that, it's a lot like SV and non-beach city Orange County and South Bay are really similar in a lot of ways. NoVA and the DMV region is kind of in its own world due to the heavy federal presence and the kind of career ladders they have. Much of NoVA's like from a different family than Irvine while some of South Bay is like Irvine's more dynamic cousins.
Yeah but I don't care about start ups too much, would rather work for a defense contractor. Not crazy for the OC beaches either, give me some winter snow and hot humid summers, and a solid transit system like the D.C. Metro instead of a Fiasco like BART.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:00 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Yeah but I don't care about start ups too much, would rather work for a defense contractor. Not crazy for the OC beaches either, give me some winter snow and hot humid summers, and a solid transit system like the D.C. Metro instead of a Fiasco like BART.
It's certainly understandable to have preferences, but it would be good if you actually had the facts right in the first place. I don't particularly like SV either because the housing prices are ridiculous and I prefer much more urban places.

There are plenty of jobs in SV that are not with startups. You don't have to work for startups and plenty of people in SV do not. There's also a question of whether you're hirable in the first place.

BART actually isn't yet in Santa Clara County, though it's about to open its first extension into SV this summer (pretty terrible timing!). Supposedly there's another phase where they actually tunnel down and get into downtown San Jose, though I'll believe it when I see it. One thing that is underway is the electrification of Caltrain which should improve trip times and allow for greater frequency. Of course, none of this is as good as what NOVA has, though obviously still better transit than what the vast majority of US cities provide.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-21-2020 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-21-2020, 02:04 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,403 times
For all the talk about how Silicon Valley is so expensive, it also leads the U.S. in having the most disposable income. It's truly a playground of wealthy people who can afford to live the lifestyle the Bay Area COL demands as well as to have fun on the side.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:06 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
I'd pick NOVA simply because Silicon Valley is the most overpriced place on earth; $1,200+ per square foot for mind numbingly dull post war suburbia. Outside of tech jobs the only thing redeeming about the place is its proximity to others areas (SF, Oakland, Santa Cruz, etc..)

Old 05-21-2020, 02:21 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'd pick NOVA simply because Silicon Valley is the most overpriced place on earth; $1,200+ per square foot for mind numbingly dull post war suburbia. Outside of tech jobs the only thing redeeming about the place is its proximity to others areas (SF, Oakland, Santa Cruz, etc..)
But honestly the proximity to those areas are the selling point to some degree too. D.C. is an impressive metro but it's no Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City