Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Raleigh closer in stature to which group?
Austin, Nashville, Charlotte 62 59.05%
Birmingham, Memphis, Richmond 25 23.81%
Somewhere in the middle 18 17.14%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 05:19 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
"Raleigh" isn't a reference to "Triangle" anywhere around here, literally nobody talks like that...
I think you should read my post again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 07:21 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh, Nashville

So...yes.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:04 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Is Charlotte really still in that tier or is really at the bottom of the next tier? Or is it in a peculiar spot in it's own tier?
Charlotte is definitely in the tier with Tampa, Orlando, Baltimore and St. Louis.

Yet, for this thread, I'd place Raleigh in group 1.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:43 AM

12 posts, read 7,337 times
Firm group 2

Old 10-25-2020, 09:51 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
I struggle placing those multi central city metros in tiers. I would think just Raleigh vs just Birmingham would feel the same, but the metros aren't close to the same.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:28 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Definitely closer to Austin.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:09 PM

92 posts, read 105,532 times
It might be more important than Birmingham but at the moment it's closer in stature to it. Raleigh is not in the same league as Austin... maybe not for a very long while if ever.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Your Idols! View Post
It might be more important than Birmingham but at the moment it's closer in stature to it. Raleigh is not in the same league as Austin... maybe not for a very long while if ever.
As cities, Austin and Raleigh aren't in the same league, but I would most certainly say Raleigh is closer in stature to Austin than Birmingham. Stature means "importance or reputation gained by ability or achievement." Raleigh's importance and reputation derives from its status as the largest/representative city of its larger region, the Triangle, and it's pretty clear that Raleigh and Austin get many of the same accolades when it comes to economic performance and workforce quality in particular. Also the Triangle's higher education institutions themselves, primarily Duke and UNC and to a lesser extent, NCSU, have notable reputations in academics and basketball. And this is to say nothing of Raleigh's and Austin's shared status as state capitals of rapidly-growing, prosperous states. While Birmingham has more going for it than most give it credit for, it does not have the same importance and reputation due to ability or achievement in any of those areas as Raleigh or Austin.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:23 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
I’d say overall closer to Group 1 (infact I have always associated the RTP triangle in this group), especially in terms of Growth. Raleigh to me feels like a less centralized east coast version of Austin with more greenery. Raleigh has made a very known establishment in the realm of tech and innovation as well as (and especially) education that you don’t find as sharply in Group 2. It might not be as strong as what is seen in Austin but that doesn’t necessarily make these achievements less relevant... I am constantly hearing about Raleigh in positive light in my field. (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Charlotte is definitely in the tier with Tampa, Orlando, Baltimore and St. Louis.

Yet, for this thread, I'd place Raleigh in group 1.
How is the Queen City in tier with Orlando and Tampa? Nothing against those places but CLT has made some serious milestones especially in the realm of FinTech and Banking.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-29-2020 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
How is the Queen City in tier with Orlando and Tampa? Nothing against those places but CLT has made some serious milestones especially in the realm of FinTech and Banking.
You are definitely underestimating Orlando. It's a top-tier convention and tourism destination and is also a major aerospace and gaming software hub, all of which (plus UCF) contribute to its ascending tech sector. Although "best of" cities list are a dime a dozen these days, I consider Milken Institute's annual best performing cities ranking to be one of, if not the, most solid lists and Orlando has been a top 10 city on that list recently, including this year: https://milkeninstitute.org/sites/de...0%20Report.pdf

Tampa hasn't stood out as much in any one particular sector as Charlotte and Orlando, but all in all, they are all in the same tier of metros by every relevant metric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City