Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the East Coast Charmers
Portland, ME 17 20.00%
Portsmouth, NH 3 3.53%
Nantucket, MA 4 4.71%
Newport, RI 12 14.12%
Greenwich, CT 2 2.35%
Annapolis, MD 10 11.76%
Savannah, GA 20 23.53%
Marco Island, FL 1 1.18%
Naples, FL 2 2.35%
St. Augustine, FL 5 5.88%
Other 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 03:10 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times

Advertisements

East Coast charmers <150K (I didn't see a minimum)? I would include Belfast, Camden, Rockland, maybe Kennebunkport in Maine. In Mass, Newburyport, Gloucester, Marblehead, Salem, maybe Falmouth. If Nantucket why not Oak Bluffs and Edgartown? Greenwich Ct is charming? Yikes. How about Mystic, Essex or Stonington instead? East Hampton, Southampton and Sag Harbor, Long Island. Red Bank (close to beaches) and Cape May in New Jersey. Not so sure of things south of there but maybe Wilmington, NC and Beaufort, SC. Charleston can't be left off even if too big technically; it's over-the-top charming. In Fla, Key West seems charming; Naples seems like just affluent people warming up after Grosse Pointe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 03:31 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Naples seems like just affluent people warming up after Grosse Pointe.
That's basically exactly what it is, nearby Marco Island is the same.

For other places that aren't options in the poll, I'll add Ogunquit, ME and Fernandina Beach and New Smyrna Beach, FL.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:44 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Hmm, for me it's either Annapolis or Newport.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:49 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
East Coast charmers <150K (I didn't see a minimum)? I would include Belfast, Camden, Rockland, maybe Kennebunkport in Maine. In Mass, Newburyport, Gloucester, Marblehead, Salem, maybe Falmouth. If Nantucket why not Oak Bluffs and Edgartown? Greenwich Ct is charming? Yikes. How about Mystic, Essex or Stonington instead? East Hampton, Southampton and Sag Harbor, Long Island. Red Bank (close to beaches) and Cape May in New Jersey. Not so sure of things south of there but maybe Wilmington, NC and Beaufort, SC. Charleston can't be left off even if too big technically; it's over-the-top charming. In Fla, Key West seems charming; Naples seems like just affluent people warming up after Grosse Pointe.
You've gotten several excellent candidates, and even though Charleston, Seattle and Portland are significantly larger core cities than the rest, I have no problem including them here.

And so far, I note Savannah is running away with this poll.

In addition to Red Bank and Cape May in New Jersey, I'd also add Princeton to this list. It's an anomalous chunk of the Hamptons inserted into far more middling Mercer County. And there's no prestigious university in the Hamptons either. This town comes so close to choking on its own cuteness I usually refer to it as "terminally charming Princeton."

Pennsylvania has a few candidates too: Doylestown, the Bucks County seat, and New Hope, the adult playground in the same county, should make the cut if Gloucester does. (In Massachusetts, I'd probably swap Gloucester for Concord and Lexington.) Lancaster also qualifies near the upper end of the scale.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:56 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Princeton and New hope should very much be on here

Old 06-01-2020, 06:04 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
I thought the OP meant places on the coast but that unfairly leaves out many "charmers."

Old 06-01-2020, 08:10 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Of the poll options, Ive been to them all except Annapolis MD.

Vibrancy: Savannah
Aesthetic: Newport RI and Portland ME tie
Waterfront: Portland ME
Beaches: Maine beaches are my favorite. Its tough. But Nantucket has the best on the list I think. I dont like FL Beaches. So Nantucket MA
Food & Drink: Newport RI and Portland ME tie
Things to Do: Newport RI

Overall? Newport RI

Old 06-01-2020, 08:11 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Princeton and New hope should very much be on here
Princeton isnt on the coast

Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 PM

795 posts, read 481,915 times
Vibrancy - Portland, ME, and Annapolis, MD (their layouts are preferable to me)
Aesthetic - Newport, RI, Portland, ME and Savannah, GA (mansions for Newport, lighthouses for Portland, and architecture for Savannah)
Waterfront - Portsmouth, NH, Portland, ME and Nantucket, MA (I love New England waterfronts)
Beaches - St. Augustine, FL Marco Island, FL and Naples, FL (I love Southern beaches)
Food & Drink - Portland, ME (lobster mac and cheese mmmmmmm!)
Other - (HISTORY) - Portland, ME, Newport, RI, and Greenwich, CT (I love little historical homes to visit and New England's history)

Overall winner? Portland, ME!!

Edit: Asking for other cities to me mentioned. Cape May, NJ popped into my head as I find it well known. But I'm not sure if people would say it's well known... Just throwing that out there. Edit again: I just saw Missionhill mentioned Cape May, NJ as well.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Key West!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City