Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the East Coast Charmers
Portland, ME 17 20.00%
Portsmouth, NH 3 3.53%
Nantucket, MA 4 4.71%
Newport, RI 12 14.12%
Greenwich, CT 2 2.35%
Annapolis, MD 10 11.76%
Savannah, GA 20 23.53%
Marco Island, FL 1 1.18%
Naples, FL 2 2.35%
St. Augustine, FL 5 5.88%
Other 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 11:20 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Edit: Given that I've never experienced Portsmouth, which factors would I notice there that would be significantly different from Portland other than perhaps the fact that it may be a little more quaint size wise? I see both as having a beautiful colonial port area, with a somewhat rugged coastline surrounding it-but I'm open to hearing more.
The coastline is actually quite nice around Portsmouth. Rye beaches are predominantly sandy, limited vegeation in the water, with great surf (by upper New England standards). You have Hampton just to the south, another set of nice coastline (though the commercial district is a bit, eh). Portsmouth also serves as more of a self contained town, rather than city. Plenty of tourists in season, but it's considered an upscale place to reside year around. In that way, it's more like Newburyport (my personal favorite of the small New England coastal towns) than it is Portland, which of course, operates as more of a city.

Portsmouth arguably has more waterfront commercial area downtown, as it's not nearly as active of a port. And, Portsmouth might actually be the better location as far as proximity to "more". The Whites to the west, Boston's North Shore towns - Newburyport, Rockport, Ipswich, Marblehead, Boston itself.

Overall, though, Portsmouth does look and feel like a smaller Portland. Good food, good beer, good coffee, port cities, colonial residential architecture with pervasive use of brick and cobblestone in it's commercial areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 11:38 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The coastline is actually quite nice around Portsmouth. Rye beaches are predominantly sandy, limited vegeation in the water, with great surf (by upper New England standards). You have Hampton just to the south, another set of nice coastline (though the commercial district is a bit, eh). Portsmouth also serves as more of a self contained town, rather than city. Plenty of tourists in season, but it's considered an upscale place to reside year around. In that way, it's more like Newburyport (my personal favorite of the small New England coastal towns) than it is Portland, which of course, operates as more of a city.

Portsmouth arguably has more waterfront commercial area downtown, as it's not nearly as active of a port. And, Portsmouth might actually be the better location as far as proximity to "more". The Whites to the west, Boston's North Shore towns - Newburyport, Rockport, Ipswich, Marblehead, Boston itself.

Overall, though, Portsmouth does look and feel like a smaller Portland. Good food, good beer, good coffee, port cities, colonial residential architecture with pervasive use of brick and cobblestone in it's commercial areas.
Excellent summary! I too love Newburyport, and the upper deck at Michael's Harborside is one of our favorite lunch spots in the region.

Cavsfan137 - I would add that in my opinion it is more vibrant than Annapolis, and it deserves to be Tier 1 in terms of waterfront, not Tier 3. I actually much prefer it to Portland, the waterfront being the main reason.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:58 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:

I agree with most of this. I find the beaches around Portsmouth to be preferable to those around Portland for the most part, particularly Rye. But even my favorite Southern ME beaches (York and Ogunquit) are closer to Portsmouth than Portland.

The size difference I think is deceptive. Portsmouth does function more as a self-contained town than a city than Portland. But I actually downtown Portsmouth compares favorably considering that Portsmouth itself is less than 1/3 the size of Portland. In terms of size, aesthetic, and feel, downtown Portsmouth is very similar to Portland's Old Port district. I'd almost argue that downtown Portsmouth is nicer in terms of waterfront access/views for the public since it is less of an active port. Where Portland's larger size becomes apparent is when you leave the Old Port. It's still a city with a real downtown (Congress St./Monument Square) and some urban residential neighborhoods outside of the Old Port district. Once you leave the center of Portsmouth, the city's small size becomes apparent - its much lower density residential. But the two biggest tourist hot spots in each town (Old Port and downtown Portsmouth) are pretty comparable.

I don't know that I'd argue that Portsmouth is the better location - I think it depends personal preferences. It definitely is better for access to Boston and the North Shore of MA (I love Newburyport too). It's also better for access to Kittery, York, Ogunquit, etc. too. But Portland is actually closer to much of the White Mountains, including North Conway, Mt. Washington, etc. It's a straight shot up 302. Portsmouth is slightly closer to the Franconia region. Mountain access is a draw at best, but I'd call it in favor of Portland. One of my favorite things about living in Portland was being able to walk to the Western Promenade on a clear day and clearly see Mt. Washington. From Prout's Neck in nearby Scarborough, you can sit on the rocks with your toes in the ocean and see Mt. Washington in the distance. It's pretty unique for New England on that front. Portland also has better access to the Mid Coast of Maine and Western Maine Mountains.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
One of my favorite things about living in Portland was being able to walk to the Western Promenade on a clear day and clearly see Mt. Washington.
Is that the park not far from the Medical Center where you can see the Airport? If so, that is a cool spot.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:22 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Is that the park not far from the Medical Center where you can see the Airport? If so, that is a cool spot.
That's the one. I lived around the corner and use to go relax up there quite a bit.

*Edit* I forgot to mention, I actually prefer Portsmouth to the Old Port as well. I think it's a little more intact (I love Market Square), and I like that there are more places to sit by and view the water. Portland's obviously bigger and has more urban amenities, but Portsmouth proximity to Boston makes up for a lot of that. If given the option to live in either again, I'd choose Portsmouth. But I like visiting both.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
That's the one. I lived around the corner and use to go relax up there quite a bit.
I would be over there all the time as well! And that seems to be a great neighborhood.

Quote:
*Edit* I forgot to mention, I actually prefer Portsmouth to the Old Port as well. I think it's a little more intact (I love Market Square), and I like that there are more places to sit by and view the water. Portland's obviously bigger and has more urban amenities, but Portsmouth proximity to Boston makes up for a lot of that. If given the option to live in either again, I'd choose Portsmouth. But I like visiting both.
I fell in love with Portsmouth on our first visit. If I wasn't such a wimp re: cold weather, I could very happily live there. One of my favorite places on the waterfront is the Old Ferry Landing. Fantastic deck, food and crowd and you can practically reach out and touch the working tug boats next door. The owner and his daughter are some of the nicest people you could ever meet, and the view of Maine across the river is cool as well. And seeing Market Square and Downtown sealed the deal for me. Portsmouth is one of my favorite cities in the entire country.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:12 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
To echo other sentiments on this thread, I think Portland and Savannah are a clear step above the rest of the cities. I voted for Portland, but I’m surprised by how few votes Portsmouth has; imo, it at least deserves to be ranked above Nantucket, if not Newport.

I know Greenwich is technically on the coast, but it doesn’t feel as coastal as a lot of these other places. I’m a bit biased, but I think Mystic is the better “charming” coastal CT place (and I’d include Noank and Stonington).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And seeing Market Square and Downtown sealed the deal for me.
Here’s a photo I took in Market Square in March. I’m pretty proud of how it turned out!

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 06-02-2020 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-02-2020, 01:52 PM

^That's gorgeous!

Old 06-02-2020, 02:13 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I need to check out Annapolis soon, especially since it's nearby. From the pictures I've seen and Google streetview, it's a pretty charming place.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:54 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Which well-known East Coast town/city (<150k) would you choose to live in based on:

Vibrancy
Aesthetic
Waterfront
Beaches
Food & Drink
Other

What is your choice? If other, which ones did I miss?
I’ll stick with East Hampton, NY.

Vibrancy

Vibrancy is seasonal. Sleepy in the winter, and almost too vibrant in the summer, but the spring and fall months are perfect where the weather is nice, but you can go to restaurants without having to make reservations far in advance.

Aesthetic, Waterfront, Beaches

Established in 1639, and many of the old structures and land have been preserved. It is a mix of old world charm, with a beach atmosphere and culture. Main Street is quaint and as charming as you can get, lined with old growth trees, and old, but preserved buildings, with modern stores and boutiques hidden inside them. Old Inns and B&Bs, bookended on both sides of town with old windmills. Some of the nicest, soft sand beaches in the country on the ocean side, and the bay on the other side of town, with plenty of ponds filled with swans and ducks, as well as brooks where you can go hiking.

Food and Drink

Plenty of casual seafood and lobster shacks, amazing old-style restaurants in the Inns, and some of NYCs finest Michelin star, and other NYC restaurants that have secondary locations in The Hamptons. Some of these restaurants do a pop-up location for a couple of seasons, while others have made a permanent home there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City