Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 04:44 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Black Baltimore's accent is closest to Philly/Delaware/South Jerz, but still unique in it's own right. I agree it would be considered more southern influenced than Chicago, but it's not a classic city in the South.
Baltimore, DC and to a lesser extent, Richmond stick out like sore thumbs when compared to the rest of the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 04:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore, DC and to a lesser extent, Richmond stick out like sore thumbs when compared to the rest of the South.
Maryland/DC was always a border region, the Southern dialect/accent map is a line cutting right through the middle of that area, and the further you move away from it you hear the difference in either direction. Maryland has more Catholics than most (non-Hispanic) major enclaves in the Southern states.

Richmond is more southern than both by a good margin, but there are some similarities to Baltimore and DC.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:55 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Black people in Chicago have more of a stereotypical southern accent than Baltimore. I don't know where the hell our (Baltimore) accent came from. It doesn't sound like anywhere else, not even it's closest neighbors DC and Philly.
Baltimore's accent is from the Tidewater family, I thought you knew that, bruh? The Delmarva region is all derived from the same dialect family...

Quote:
Black Baltimore's accent is closest to Philly/Delaware/South Jerz, but still unique in it's own right. I agree the overall culture would be considered more southern influenced than Chicago, but it's not a classic city in the South.
Baltimore is a Tidewater/Chesapeake accent with northern influence...

Quote:
Maryland/DC was always a border region, the Southern dialect/accent map is a line cutting right through the middle of that area, and the further you move away from it you hear the difference in either direction. Maryland has more Catholics than most (non-Hispanic) major enclaves in the Southern states.

Richmond is more southern than both by a good margin, but there are some similarities to Baltimore and DC.
The "good margin" of southern-ness between Rich and DC or Bmore is mostly attributable to the fact Rich is significantly smaller, so parts of its older, initial history are more noticeable than in the cosmopolitan major cities to its north. At the root Rich is not and never was demonstrably more southern than either; there's a gradient on most cultural observations so Rich is definitely more southern than both, but I have said for years the "margin" is vastly overstated on this board...

Old 06-19-2020, 07:24 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
They really aren't all that far removed from accents found further south. And I find it hilarious how folks from DC, PG, and Baltimore think district/county boundaries are like Berlin Walls with absolutely zero cultural diffusion occurring. Tell them that they are way more culturally alike than different and they wanna break out the machetes.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Baltimore's accent is from the Tidewater family, I thought you knew that, bruh? The Delmarva region is all derived from the same dialect family...

The "good margin" of southern-ness between Rich and DC or Bmore is mostly attributable to the fact Rich is significantly smaller, so parts of its older, initial history are more noticeable than in the cosmopolitan major cities to its north. At the root Rich is not and never was demonstrably more southern than either; there's a gradient on most cultural observations so Rich is definitely more southern than both, but I have said for years the "margin" is vastly overstated on this board...
The accents white Baltimoreans are a derivative of the Tidewater accent, but I didn't know OUR accents were. I can't really put my finger on any place that black Baltimorean accent sounds like. The DC accent sounds kinda like Hampton Roads. For example, AI, and especially Mike Vick have accents that strikingly resembles a DC accent. Black people from the southern portion of the Eastern Shore have a very noticable tidewater accent as well.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Baltimore-DC-Richmond, is a cluster. I've long acknowledged that the entire region is more like itself in some ways than it is other parts of the country. However EACH have their own separate nuances to them. Baltimore to me, at least in the "black accent" is a mix of Tidewater, with what I hear from Blacks from the Delaware Valley. One has to have a trained ear to even understand that though.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
The accents white Baltimoreans are a derivative of the Tidewater accent, but I didn't know OUR accents were. I can't really put my finger on any place that black Baltimorean accent sounds like. The DC accent sounds kinda like Hampton Roads. For example, AI, and especially Mike Vick have accents that strikingly resembles a DC accent. Black people from the southern portion of the Eastern Shore have a very noticable tidewater accent as well.
I think DC and Tidewater (some times) sound more similar, even more than Richmond does to DC. I knew a girl from Petersburg, and she was straight up country in accent to me. Sounded like she was from West Virginia. DC and Baltimore overall still sound very "East Coast" ish, but with a slight twang than further North.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They really aren't all that far removed from accents found further south. And I find it hilarious how folks from DC, PG, and Baltimore think district/county boundaries are like Berlin Walls with absolutely zero cultural diffusion occurring. Tell them that they are way more culturally alike than different and they wanna break out the machetes.
I'll be honest, I tested that theory out myself and noticed that the accents change rapidly. I think that It had more to do with which city's sphere of influence one falls under. Going south, once you hit Laurel, you here the DC area accent. If you drive 10 minutes north, you'll get more of a Baltimore area accent.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I think DC and Tidewater (some times) sound more similar, even more than Richmond does to DC. I knew a girl from Petersburg, and she was straight up country in accent to me. Sounded like she was from West Virginia. DC and Baltimore overall still sound very "East Coast" ish, but with a slight twang than further North.
I noticed the same thing. Black people in Richmond pronounce certain words like DC "car," for example, but the Hamptons Roads accent has more similarities.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Baltimore-DC-Richmond, is a cluster. I've long acknowledged that the entire region is more like itself in some ways than it is other parts of the country. However EACH have their own separate nuances to them. Baltimore to me, at least in the "black accent" is a mix of Tidewater, with what I hear from Blacks from the Delaware Valley. One has to have a trained ear to even understand that though.
Your ears are definitely more trained than mine then. I don't hear the Delaware Valley aspect.

Happy Juneteenth, BTW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City