Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 07:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Now that was straight country.
Like he just stepped off the train from Yazoo City at Union Station in 1940.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 07:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Like he just stepped off the train from Yazoo City at Union Station in 1940.
Accents can be tricky honestly, and really shouldn't be the only point of this thread.

Heck forget Maryland, even Grant Hill, from the mid-Atlantic in NOVA and mostly claims the DC region as home. Has a much milder accent than Jason Kidd (Bay Area). So much more twang with Kidd, but as stated in an earlier post, Hill more so has a refined form of generic speech growing up in VA suburbs. There is some sense of the regional mid Atlantic tone in Hill's speech though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwLjzy02oM

The Mid-Atlantic non-exaggerated accent is only faintly Southern if anything at all.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:32 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
I smell a black accent thread on the horizon....

Old 06-23-2020, 07:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Accents can be tricky honestly, and really shouldn't be the only point of this thread.

Heck forget Maryland, even Grant Hill, from the mid-Atlantic in NOVA and mostly claims the DC region as home. Has a much milder accent than Jason Kidd (Bay Area). So much more twang with Kidd, but as stated in an earlier post, Hill more so has a refined form of generic speech growing up in VA suburbs. There is some sense of the regional mid Atlantic tone in Hill's speech though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwLjzy02oM

The Mid-Atlantic non-exaggerated accent is only faintly Southern if anything at all.
I'd expect nothing less from a Black person from NoVA (outside of the projects in Alexandria anyway). He and KD might as well be from two different metropolitan areas a good 300 miles or so apart.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:50 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

There was one from a while ago with the same topic. "More Southern Influence: Chicago or Philadelphia?" Basically turned into a black accent thread.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
I'd expect nothing less from a Black person from NoVA (outside of the projects in Alexandria anyway). He and KD might as well be from two different metropolitan areas a good 300 miles or so apart.
Lol, yea there's a difference.

Ironically to the post about Mike Wilbon, and finding an accent to equate. Hill is from South of Baltimore in Virginia, and there's little difference in the speech of these two. Wilbon knew Hill growing up in the DC area while at the Post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5PUkoeEBGo

Old 06-23-2020, 08:00 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lmaoooo, I was thinking about starting one myself but hey man if you were already there have at it. I really do think we need to make one focusing on Black accents in America. Often times when I see documentaries or series on linguistics they often gloss over our accents which in turn allows the general public to generalize regions based off of tv and film.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:00 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is in th actual south, so it has to be Baltimore..
yeah, Baltimore is below the Mason-Dixon and literally within the historical South. Maryland is also within the demographic Black Belt. I'm not really sure, by which metric, that Chicago would be a Southern city (?) It's a cool Midwestern city..

Old 06-23-2020, 08:04 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Now that was straight country.
Cmon man...that’s some illiteracy there lmaooo

Old 06-23-2020, 08:07 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if boxers in general are the best representatives of regional accents. Their job entails sustaining multiple blows to the jaw and head lol.
Yea, you gotta take Gervonta's speech with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City