Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 03:02 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I wouldn't group Philly with NYC or Boston as they sound nothing alike. Baltimore's and DC accent is too distinct to be grouped with together. NYC/Boston>Philly>DC>Baltimore.
I dont think the Philly accent sounds that different than Boston/NY. Different but there's definitely a good number of Philly people who sound generically northeastern like there are in NY and Boston. Grouping them together is like this to me:

Boston/NYC>Philly>Baltimore>>DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 04:52 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No, not true at all. I've given you several examples where this is blatantly false:

And this is just a handful of examples all from just Chicago (not extending to the whole state of Illinois). Even when you use the whole state of Maryland to try and find examples, you can't even produce many examples, let alone limiting to Baltimore or DC individually.

It's been proven once again, that DC and Baltimore blacks are more southern-influenced than Chicago!
Except you're the one being proven wrong all thread...

You obviously are confusing my posts with another person. I showed you videos of people from city and outside the cities. Did you see the video of Laz Alonso speaking who is born and raised in the District of Columbia?

There are more examples backing my argument because there are more southern sounding Blacks in Chicago than Baltimore/DC.

For the umpteenth example Jada Pinkett Smith from Baltimore City, MD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZAaTC59HI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC54o8ByFQE

Where's that Southern girl accent at? Please help me find it.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:29 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

You obviously are confusing my posts with another person. I showed you videos of people from city and outside the cities. Did you see the video of Laz Alonso speaking who is born and raised in the District of Columbia?

There are more examples backing my argument because there are more southern sounding Blacks in Chicago than Baltimore/DC.

When it’s some southern sounding folks in DC they sound just as “country” as Chicago. I’ll give you Baltimore but you can’t tell me they don’t sound just as influenced as Chicago.

https://youtu.be/Vct4LF3Bq8U
Earthquake

https://youtu.be/EHea3HcTI2Y
Yung Gleesh

Old 06-24-2020, 05:36 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:

Here is an example of a young Jada Pinkett

https://youtu.be/Jbeq2pU8Qlk

Old 06-24-2020, 05:44 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:

No you are wrong. In every thread about this, it has been proven that Baltimore and DC blacks are more southern sounding and southern influenced than Chicago.

You have shown a few clips of Baltimore and DC blacks COMBINED. I have posted countless of clips (with endless more examples) of JUST Chicago blacks that don’t sound southern. You had to combine cities and a state, and can barely come up with examples on non-southern Baltimore and DC blacks. You were grasping for straws with Grant Hill as an example before I called you out.

Plus, as has been stated several times, Blacks are only 30% of the population of Chicago, where as they are a much larger proportion of the population in DC and Baltimore, so the blacks in Baltimore and DC bring much more southern influence.

You’ve been proven wrong time and time again on these threads. Baltimore and DC blacks are more southern sounding and southern influenced than Chicago blacks.

It’s pointless arguing with a person who can’t accept reality.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
No you are wrong. In every thread about this, it has been proven that Baltimore and DC blacks are more southern sounding and southern influenced than Chicago.

You have shown a few clips of Baltimore and DC blacks COMBINED. I have posted countless of clips (with endless more examples) of JUST Chicago blacks that don’t sound southern. You had to combine cities and a state, and can barely come up with examples on non-southern Baltimore and DC blacks. You were grasping for straws with Grant Hill as an example before I called you out.

Plus, as has been stated several times, Blacks are only 30% of the population of Chicago, where as they are a much larger proportion of the population in DC and Baltimore, so the blacks in Baltimore and DC bring much more southern influence.

You’ve been proven wrong time and time again on these threads. Baltimore and DC blacks are more southern sounding and southern influenced than Chicago blacks.

It’s pointless arguing with a person who can’t accept reality.
How is it that you can clearly hear the southern twang in Baltimore's accent, but can't hear it in the Chicago accent, when everybody is saying that the Chicago accent sounds more southern than a Baltimore accent amongst the black people of either city? Everyone hears the southern twang except you.

It looks like you're ashamed of tying anything Chicago to the south.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
How is it that you can clearly hear the southern twang in Baltimore's accent, but can't hear it in the Chicago accent, when everybody is saying that the Chicago accent sounds more southern than a Baltimore accent amongst the black people of either city?
I can hear it in both. My point is, you can't find many examples of black in Baltimore or DC with absolutely no discernible southern accent, like you can in Chicago. For example, you won't find many blacks that sound like Bryant or Greg Gumble, Mike Wilbon, or others you may not know. Both have examples of blacks with southern accents. I can definitely hear it in Chicago blacks too.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I can hear it in both. My point is, you can't find many examples of black in Baltimore or DC with absolutely no discernible southern accent, like you can in Chicago. For example, you won't find many blacks that sound like Bryant or Greg Gumble, Mike Wilbon, or others you may not know. Both have examples of blacks with southern accents. I can definitely hear it in Chicago blacks too.
You didn't use good examples to prove your point. You used people who weren't from Chicago, and you also used People in the Media: the one industry where you are encouraged to have a neutral accent.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:44 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Personne- Most Baltimore Black people don’t sound very southern. I think I should know, I’m black, I’m from the farrr north and I’m currently in Baltimore.. I work with all Baltimore born and bred black people. There’s a twang but amongst the professional or well educated classes there is no discernible accent.

The one coworker born in North Carolina and raised between Baltimore and Maryland’s Eastern Shore has the more southern sounding accent-which makes sense

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-24-2020 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-24-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
You didn't use good examples to prove your point. You used people who weren't from Chicago, and you also used People in the Media: the one industry where you are encouraged to have a neutral accent.
No. The only example of someone not from Chicago I used was the mayor, Lori Lightfoot. That is it. Every other example in all the clips I used is a native black person from Chicago born and raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City