Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 08:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

^^^ You have only posted countless clips, of proper/ professional speaking people on television. The local Black reporter from Chicago just had a bland regular accent. He wasn't speaking with regional flavor. The white woman you posted in your series of clips had a drawl in her speech, very Midwestern like. What are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
When it’s some southern sounding folks in DC they sound just as “country” as Chicago. I’ll give you Baltimore but you can’t tell me they don’t sound just as influenced as Chicago.

https://youtu.be/Vct4LF3Bq8U
Earthquake

https://youtu.be/EHea3HcTI2Y
Yung Gleesh
Yea I already said DC is below the accent line, it literally bisects the overall Baltimore-Washington region. Baltimore is sitting on, but right above that line as you head up to Philly or Delaware next.

DC and Chicago's Black accent have more Southern overtones than Baltimore definitely.

The only point I was making is not all Black locals in DC or Chicago have such strong a deep core "exaggerated" accent. Where up thread it was being claimed that this is valid in Chicago, but not in DC. It doesn't work that way, what's true in one place is true across the board. I sound nothing like Yung Gleesh when I talk, and I'm from 15 mins away from where he's from. His accent is super thick and extreme.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How is it that you can clearly hear the southern twang in Baltimore's accent, but can't hear it in the Chicago accent, when everybody is saying that the Chicago accent sounds more southern than a Baltimore accent amongst the black people of either city? Everyone hears the southern twang except you.

It looks like you're ashamed of tying anything Chicago to the south.

This guy is literally delirious lol. Multiple examples to the contrary of his points have been provided page after page. As he changes the goal posts and side swipes direct points or questions being made. It's no point now. He keeps posting some newscasters that aren't speaking with ANY local accent to anywhere to attempt to make a point that still has not stuck.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:49 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yea I already said DC is below the accent line, it literally bisects the overall Baltimore-Washington region. Baltimore is sitting on, but right above that line as you head up to Philly or Delaware next.

DC and Chicago's Black accent have more Southern overtones than Baltimore definitely.

The only point I was making is not all Black locals in DC or Chicago have such strong a deep core "exaggerated" accent. Where up thread it was being claimed that this is valid in Chicago, but not in DC. It doesn't work that way, what's true in one place is true across the board. I sound nothing like Yung Gleesh when I talk, and I'm from 15 mins away from where he's from.
No I don't think this is true. Baltimore and DC blacks both have a level of southern twang to their accents. There is no accent line that separates Baltimore and DC. You can claim the accents are different, but in terms of their southern influence/twang, there is no difference (Baltimore black accent is not less southern sounding than the DC black accent; they are equal).

The accent line would be between Baltimore/DC and Philly. Philly is where you start to hear a more New York-like black accent with not much of a discernible southern twang.

Blacks from NY, Philly, and Boston have verified this.

It is: Baltimore and DC (some southern twang) - Philly (neutral with slight New York-like accent) - NY/ Boston

Old 06-24-2020, 09:05 PM

^^^

Let's move on from Baltimore, the consensus here seems to be the Southern accent influence is more prevalent in Chicago's than there.

Susan Rice is born and raised in Washington DC. Does she have more Southern twang than those speaking properly from Chicago you posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lBuS9Wl8xk

Your posting of Bryant Gumbel makes little sense to me as he lived in NYC for 25-30 years now, and is the epitome of a Black man purposely using proper speech without an accent to be detected. Same with Lester Holt, who I believe is also from Chicago.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:10 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No I don't think this is true. Baltimore and DC blacks both have a level of southern twang to their accents. There is no accent line that separates Baltimore and DC. You can claim the accents are different, but in terms of their southern influence/twang, there is no difference (Baltimore black accent is not less southern sounding than the DC black accent; they are equal).

The accent line would be between Baltimore/DC and Philly. Philly is where you start to hear a more New York-like black accent with not much of a discernible southern twang.

It is: Baltimore and DC (some southern twang) - Philly (neutral with slight New York-like accent) - NY/ Boston
There is a difference between the Baltimore and DC accents. DC posters even acknowledged that their accents are more similar to Hampton Roads than they are to Baltimore. NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC all have distinctly different accents. I don't hear NYC in the Philly accent; I don't hear Baltimore in the Philly accent. Baltimore and DC are hard as all hell on the letter "R," but everything else is different.

Classic Baltimore accent.
https://youtu.be/mmTXzNnZ9AI

Resident, let me know if this is a legit DC accent or exaggerated.
https://youtu.be/SKY0nWASAwU

Old 06-24-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There is a difference between the Baltimore and DC accents. DC posters even acknowledged that their accents are more similar to Hampton Roads than they are to Baltimore. NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC all have distinctly different accents. I don't hear NYC in the Philly accent; I don't hear Baltimore in the Philly accent. Baltimore and DC are hard as all hell on the letter "R," but everything else is different.

Classic Baltimore accent.
https://youtu.be/mmTXzNnZ9AI

Resident, let me know if this is a legit DC accent or exaggerated.
https://youtu.be/SKY0nWASAwU
Funny thing is I know "CrankLucas" (used to go by Quiz) from back in the day, he mostly grew up in PG though.

He's basically showing you both sides in that video. The way he's rapping is probably the more moderate, yes some twang present, but a moderate DC area accent. But then while talking he's essentially purposely giving the heavy exaggerated DC accent for the comedic sake of the skit. I totally agree that the exaggerated form of accent has twang in it. I guess it just depends on who you run into or associate with.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
^^^

Let's move on from Baltimore, the consensus here seems to be the Southern accent influence is more prevalent in Chicago's than there.

Susan Rice is born and raised in Washington DC. Does she have more Southern twang than those speaking properly from Chicago you posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lBuS9Wl8xk

Your posting of Bryant Gumbel makes little sense to me as he lived in NYC for 25-30 years now, and is the epitome of a Black man purposely using proper speech without an accent to be detected. Same with Lester Holt, who I believe is also from Chicago.
No, not true at all. The consensus here is that the black southern accent is more pervasive in DC AND Baltimore than Chicago.

And again, Baltimore and DC both have much larger percentage of blacks than Chicago, and they both were and technically are southern cities.......so the overall southern influence (including the black southern accent) is more of a thing in Baltimore and DC.

This has been proven time and time again.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
^^^ You have only posted countless clips, of proper/ professional speaking people on television. The local Black reporter from Chicago just had a bland regular accent. He wasn't speaking with regional flavor. The white woman you posted in your series of clips had a drawl in her speech, very Midwestern like. What are you talking about?

Now you've lost all credibility. All of those people are FROM CHICAGO born and raised.
It is to show you that there are more blacks from Chicago (born and raised) that have no southern twang whatsoever in their accent.

In DC and Baltimore, the vast majority of blacks born and raised there will have some southern twang. I grew up there, as you know. Almost every black person I knew who was actually from DC or Baltimore had at least some hint of a southern twang to their accent (and that is not meant to be an insult or a bad thing).

In Chicago, it is more of a mixed bag. Are there some black people with a deep southern accent? Yes. But I also come across more blacks (from Chicago- born and raised) that have NO southern twang at all to their accents. That is the point of the countless examples that I have and can provide you. Those are all native black Chicagoans (born and raised), that have NO southern twang at all to their accents.

You will find more blacks with zero southern accent in Chicago than in DC AND Baltimore combined.

The consensus on this thread is that there are much more blacks in DC and Baltimore with a southern twang to their accent than in Chicago.

A more fair comparison would be to compare DC and Baltimore, since you are now claiming their accents are so different.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:05 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

No no no.

I’m from Boston I told you Baltimore accent is more closely aligned with Philly. Not DC.

Baltimore and Philly are pretty similar in speech, almost as close as NYC and Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City