Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 03:32 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why is it that whenever these threads come up people start posting videos of celebrities and politicians? These people generally do not have accents. A better gauge of an area's accent would be YouTube interviews of the working class to working class poor. So while you're not going to hear much of a local accent in Susan Rice (DC native) or Jennifer Hudson (Chicago native), you will often hear it in the residents of Barry Farms or former residents of Cabrini Green (watch Hoop Dreams, for example).
This is a fair point. Although the challenge is, it is hard to find your average joe on youtube. You are more likely to find entertainers,etc.

Here is a clip of black Chicagoans from the real neighborhoods. It represents a more "real" view rather than entertainers, news casters, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzHWdK2JdvI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 03:33 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No....Black Chicagoans don't sound less southern that black people from Philly.

I have even said in this thread, that you will find more "deep south" sounding blacks in Chicago than you will in Baltimore and DC.

But the point I am making is that you will find a larger portion of blacks with no southern twang to their accent in Chicago than you will in Baltimore or DC. Philly, NY/NJ, Boston/New England are in a different ballpark from Chicago, Baltimore, or DC. Those are true northeast cities.

As far as whites go, whites from Chicago, Philly, NY/NJ, Boston/New England have NO southern accent. Whites from Baltimore and DC (the DMV) are a mixed bag. Not all have a southern accent, but they are not 100% southern-free like Chicago, Philly, NY/NJ, and Boston/New England. These cities (Chicago, Philly, NY/NJ, and Boston/New England) are much more similar from a white perspective in terms of large historic white ethnic groups like Italian, Polish, Irish, Greek, etc. Those are groups that traditionally have no southern twang to their accents.

As far as blacks go, the only fair comparisons is between Chicago, DC, and Baltimore when it comes to southern accents. On average, you will find the most "deep southern" accents in Chicago, but you will also find more blacks with ZERO southern twang to their accent as well (think Bryant and Greg Gumbel, Michael Wilbon, Doc Rivers, and countless other local blacks who you would not recognize by name). In DC and Baltimore, many blacks will have at least some southern twang to their accent. There is a smaller proportion of blacks in Baltimore and DC with NO/ZERO southern twang to their accent as compared to Chicago.
Bryant Gumble is in media, so he doesn't count. They are encouraged to lose their accent and speak more neutral. You also used Marty Bass as an example for Baltimore, be he's from Louisville.

The white Baltimore accent is a strange one too.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:27 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why is it that whenever these threads come up people start posting videos of celebrities and politicians? These people generally do not have accents. A better gauge of an area's accent would be YouTube interviews of the working class to working class poor. So while you're not going to hear much of a local accent in Susan Rice (DC native) or Jennifer Hudson (Chicago native), you will often hear it in the residents of Barry Farms or former residents of Cabrini Green (watch Hoop Dreams, for example).
Good question, ask personone, who has moved goal post multiple times already, and chose Bryant Gumble, as well as other news casters with proper speech, and no detectable regional accent from anywhere. After others were posting rappers, entertainers etc. I posted videos of King Louie, and some local Southside Chicago guys on the corner before any of this. Them guys where saying "aaaw" instead of "All", "Huhh" for "Here", and "Kraaazy" for "crazy". etc. He alleged that we could not find people from the city proper of either DC or Balitmore with a non-delectable Southern twang like Bryant Gumble, which was proven false.

I've already made a post here about each of these cities having an "exaggerated" deepest version of their accent, vs locals born and raised there with a milder one.

The same applies to NYC. I was watching Fresh Prince of Bel Air the other day, and forgot entirely that Tatyanna Ali was from Long Island. But there was a quick moment where she acting "ghetto" (for lack of a better word) in her role and her accent slipped out once reminding me this episode. Even off camera she doesn't sound "super New York" or Nicki Minaj ish. But when she's trying to "tawlk street" the NY accent comes out.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-25-2020 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Good question, ask personone, who has moved goal post multiple times already, and chose Bryant Gumble, as well as other news casters with proper speech, and no detectable regional accent from anywhere. After others were posting rappers, entertainers etc. I posted videos of King Louie, and some local Southside Chicago guys on the corner before any of this. Them guys where saying "aaaw" instead of "All", "Huhh" for "Here", and "Kraaazy" for "crazy". etc. He alleged that we could not find people from the city proper of either DC or Balitmore with a non-delectable Southern twang like Bryant Gumble, which was proven false.

I've already made a post here about each of these cities having an "exaggerated" deepest version of their accent, vs locals born and raised there with a milder one.

The same applies to NYC. I was watching Fresh Prince of Bel Air the other day, and forgot entirely that Tatyanna Ali was from Long Island. But there was a quick moment where she acting "ghetto" (for lack of a better word) in her role and her accent slipped out once reminding me this episode. Even off camera she doesn't sound "super New York" or Nicki Minaj ish. But when she's trying to "tawlk street" the NY accent comes out.
No not true. I have posted a new video of regular neighborhood people in Chicago to prove you wrong. The bottom line is that Baltimore and DC have a larger portion of blacks with “some” southern accent. You can find examples of Chicago blacks with a twang, but that doesn’t change the fact that there are as many who don’t have it, which I have shown you evidence.

You will find more blacks in Chicago than in DC and Baltimore combined, that have NO southern twang whatsoever to their accent. That is the point I am making.

This has been proven to you countless times. You are embarrassed that a non-northeastern city is less southern characteristically than Baltimore and DC. It has been proven time again (even by this poll) that Chicago is less southern influenced than Baltimore (and DC).

Old 06-25-2020, 04:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Neither because only the gangsters are shooting in my home town Chicago -in the south it’s different- citizens and cops shoot back

Old 06-25-2020, 04:59 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No not true. I have posted a new video of regular neighborhood people in Chicago to prove you wrong. The bottom line is that Baltimore and DC have a larger portion of blacks with “some” southern accent. You can find examples of Chicago blacks with a twang, but that doesn’t change the fact that there are as many who don’t have it, which I have shown you evidence.

You will find more blacks in Chicago than in DC and Baltimore combined, that have NO southern twang whatsoever to their accent. That is the point I am making.

This has been proven to you countless times. You are embarrassed that a non-northeastern city is less southern characteristically than Baltimore and DC. It has been proven time again (even by this poll) that Chicago is less southern influenced than Baltimore (and DC).

You keep digging yourself in every post here. We have posters from the DC area, Baltimore, Boston, Texas, etc in this thread each who have contradicted your claims.

Firstly, you continue to incorrectly say that DC and Baltimore have the same or indiscernible southern twang in their respective accents. Since you are sticking to the central city proper here, what you are saying is categorically false that these two cities have the same accent. They simply do not. You are the only poster in this thread stating that DC and Baltimore have the same speech, do you not realize that you are the outlier here?

Additonally whether city A, B, or C has southern twang or not, you have NOT proved to anyone that "more people" in Chicago don't sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ2OfDNWwjY&t=30s

Thirdly, DC is not in question here. The thread is about Baltimore and Chicago, so your repeated attempts to say one city doesn't like the South or not, has no basis here, because the posters from DC and Baltimore here have acknowledged their respective accents is a myriad of influences including the South. YOU are the one with problems acknowledging Southern influence in Chicago's Black accent. Or being in a high percentage of local blacks. Can you acknowledge this yes or not? Otherwise this thread back and forth is moot. The Southside of Chicago is bigger than Washington DC or Baltimore proper in population, are there not enough numbers of Blacks on the Southside that talk like the video above to compare to Baltimore?

Old 06-25-2020, 05:04 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Drivers in Baltimore definitely have a slower more country-bumpkin pace than those in Chicago. Baltimore also has a slower general pace about it that feels more southern.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:05 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Neither because only the gangsters are shooting in my home town Chicago -in the south it’s different- citizens and cops shoot back
Not everywhere in the south. The laws in Maryland state that you can't shoot until you make an active attempt to get away. You have to be a victim of a crime to be eligible for a CCL.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You keep digging yourself in every post here. We have posters from the DC area, Baltimore, Boston, Texas, etc in this thread each who have contradicted your claims.

Firstly, you continue to incorrectly say that DC and Baltimore have the same or indiscernible southern twang in their respective accents. Since you are sticking to the central city proper here, what you are saying is categorically false that these two cities have the same accent. They simply do not. You are the only poster in this thread stating that DC and Baltimore have the same speech, do you not realize that you are the outlier here?

Additonally whether city A, B, or C has southern twang or not, you have NOT proved to anyone that "more people" in Chicago don't sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ2OfDNWwjY&t=30s

Thirdly, DC is not in question here. The thread is about Baltimore and Chicago, so your repeated attempts to say one city doesn't like the South or not, has no basis here, because the posters from DC and Baltimore here have acknowledged their respective accents is a myriad of influences including the South. YOU are the one with problems acknowledging Southern influence in Chicago's Black accent. Or being in a high percentage of local blacks. Can you acknowledge this yes or not? Otherwise this thread back and forth is moot. The Southside of Chicago is bigger than Washington DC or Baltimore proper in population, are there not enough numbers of Blacks on the Southside that talk like the video above to compare to Baltimore?
No. You are posting 1 video. I have shown countless others proving you wrong. Nobody takes what you post on this site seriously because you can’t hold a straight argument.

Everyone on this thread from the NE, to the west coast, to Texas has acknowledged that blacks from Baltimore and DC overall sound more southern. I have acknowledged that you will find more blacks in Chicago with a “deep southern” drawl than in Baltimore or DC.

You are getting lost in your argument because you are so frustrated with the reality that everyone on this thread from all over the country has acknowledged. More Blacks from Baltimore and DC have southern accents compared to Chicago. Will you find as many with a “deep southern” accent? No. But in terms of having a southern accent, it is more prevalent in DC and Baltimore. In Chicago it is more of a mixed bag (no southern accent, moderate, and deep).

It is getting tiring proving you wrong again and again.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Not everywhere in the south. The laws in Maryland state that you can't shoot until you make an active attempt to get away. You have to be a victim of a crime to be eligible for a CCL.
Everywhere is a big place. Guess I am thinking of small town mississippi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City