Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 08:54 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lmao, after the stunts she's pulled it's hard, but hey is what it is. I'm a big Kels fan too, but he's a mess smh.
I gotta listen to Kels with the windows up when I'm driving. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Likewise here:

Laz Alonso born and raised in Washington DC, graduated Howard U:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI1aJukGso8

I'm not sure why he insinuated that examples could not be provided.
I'd like to know if @Personone has a southern accent being that he's from Howard County.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:08 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'd like to know if @Personone has a southern accent being that he's from Howard County.
Good question.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:23 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
I told you earlier that Jada Pinkett, Toni Braxton, Mario, Rudy Gay, Nicole Ari Parker have no "southern twang" in their speech, and they're all from Baltimore.
Yeah Jada Pinkett definitely don’t have a southern twang cause I’ll never forget how horrible her accent was in Jason’s lyric. Matter fact everybody accent was HORRIBLE in that movie. I was thinking to myself, “How did y’all film the movie in Houston yet got nothing right about the Houston accent at all?” Jada Pinkett sounded like a extra from Gone with the Wind. Lol

Old 06-23-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah Jada Pinkett definitely don’t have a southern twang cause I’ll never forget how horrible her accent was in Jason’s lyric. Matter fact everybody accent was HORRIBLE in that movie. I was thinking to myself, “How did y’all film the movie in Houston yet got nothing right about the Houston accent at all?” Jada Pinkett sounded like a extra from Gone with the Wind. Lol
They used some default "southern" accent. Houston has their own unique way of saying certain words, like when y'all say "downtown" it sounds like "Dine Tine."

Old 06-23-2020, 09:49 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Quote:
Chicago's Mayor has no discernable accent whatsoever. Her lack of an accent is not what I heard while I was in Chicago. Baltimore's Mayor has a Baltimore accent. It doesn't sound like a classic southern accent.

https://youtu.be/AMHTdc9xh0g

A heavy Chicago accent.

Notice how he says, "outta huh." When he says "on," it sounds like "own." "Nines" sounds like "Nans."

The Chicago accent sounds more southern.
I've always thought Bernie Mac was a good example of what the Chicago black accent sounds like. I definitely would say that is more the norm for the average black Chicagoan compared to how Lori Lightfoot speaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5yMZEr6MbI

Old 06-24-2020, 12:21 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I would say Minister *** is the Chicago accent I’m use to hearing. But I’m not posting his videos here.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:32 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Definitely not now. I have lived in Chicago long enough that I have adopted a mild Chicago (White) accent. Maybe slightly growing up. Although I’m Polish American. Both my parents grew up in New York State, so I think based on that I maybe had a more neutral accent when I was younger. But many whites in Howard County (Ellicott City, Laurel, and especially places like Elkridge) definitely have southern accents.

As the poll indicates, Baltimore is way more southern influenced than Chicago overall. That’s why this thread has devolved to comparing only Blacks (which are less than 30% of Chicago’s population but over 60% of Baltimore’s).

Old 06-24-2020, 01:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
I told you earlier that Jada Pinkett, Toni Braxton, Mario, Rudy Gay, Nicole Ari Parker have no "southern twang" in their speech, and they're all from Baltimore.
Jada Pinket Smith is all Hollywood now. I can show you clips of 90s Jada where she definitely had your normal Baltimore southern twang.

Toni Braxton is from Severn and grew up in Silver Spring, MD. You’ve got to go that far out to a DC suburb (which you claim to hate) to find an example? LMAO

Rudy Gay and Nicole Ari Parker- I’ll give you.

Mario- has a slight hint of that Baltimore southern twang, but it’s very faint. I’ll give you that one.

The fact you’ve got to reach out to throughout the state of MD to scrap up a few examples proves how few black Baltimorians lack any southern accents. Many White Baltimorians have that southern twang too. Marty Bass is the perfect example.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iq3mzOPG0zE

Baltimore is overall much more Southern influenced than Chicago. It’s not even a question or fair competition. I thought you used to embrace Baltimore’s southern influence. What happened?

Old 06-24-2020, 04:54 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times
It's interesting how a lot of melanated Chicagoans retained a noticeable accent full of Southern features from their grandparents. (to be fair, there's a lot of Chicago in the speech of course but the Southerness left an equally big mark. Interesting because NY, Philly, Boston, Providence, CT, NJ would have the next Gen speaking close to a full on local accent with "a bit" of no trace or a Southern dialect).

Last edited by Chevalier de Saint-George; 06-24-2020 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City