Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Northern influence?
Tampa 13 41.94%
Orlando 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 01:10 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times

Advertisements

In 2020, I vote for Tampa. However, if you asked me that question 20 years ago when I first moved to Florida, I would have voted for Orlando.

Following the opening of the Walt Disney World Resort in the early 1970's until the mid-1990's, Orlando was heavily settled by Northerners. However, over the past 20-25 years, Orlando has become extremely Hispanic.

Believe or not, many of the Hispanic people currently living in and around Orlando are second- and third-generation Dominican or Puerto Rican immigrants who hail from the northeastern United States. But, that population group falls outside what is considered traditional Yankee culture.

Even though Tampa has experienced some demographic change in the past 20 years, Tampa is still whiter, for lack of a better term, than Orlando and, therefore, has more Yankee influence. This phenomenon is highly correlated with the average age and origin of domestic migrants of Tampa.

Historically, Tampa has drawn many domestic migrants from the Midwest and the inland Northeast, specifically Pennsylvania and Upstate New York. Those regions are markedly whiter than the regions from which Orlando has historically drawn domestic migrants, specifically the Interstate 95 corridor of the Northeast and, to a lesser extent, Southern California.

Additionally, Tampa is located near the coast and, subsequently, has some resort cities and retirement communities near its borders. Of course, resort cities and retirement communities in peninsular Florida draw mostly older people, who are overwhelmingly white Northerners. By contrast, Orlando is more of a destination for young families and childless young adults than retired persons and markets itself as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 02:15 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes. I was thinking the same thing.

It seems Orlando gets more influence from Northeast, and Tampa from the Midwest?
Yes, but it's changed over the years. Tampa now gets a lot of people from the NE, Orlando always has. As mentioned, The Hispanic population in Orlando has really been growing - particularly from Puerto Rico since the hurricane. Tampa has always had a solid Cuban population that goes back generations.

All in all though, the Northern influences are the same. I didn't vote.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:23 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Tough call. Tampa has a noticeable midwestern vibe. Orlando feels more international than northern. It would be interesting to hear from individuals born and raised in both.
Agree but would swap the term "international" for Puerto Rican in Orlando's instance.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:33 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
It's pretty similar.

The cultural difference between Orlando and Tampa I think is that Orlando has the stronger Puerto Rican/Hispanic element that Tampa lacks. I'm not as familiar with Tampa though, so I could be wrong.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:49 AM

747 posts, read 496,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
It's pretty similar.

The cultural difference between Orlando and Tampa I think is that Orlando has the stronger Puerto Rican/Hispanic element that Tampa lacks. I'm not as familiar with Tampa though, so I could be wrong.
Agreed. Tampa and Orlando are incredibly similar. Both have a strong presence of Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and South Americans. Tampa Bay has a much larger Mexican population. Both have a pretty strong Northeast influence.

Last edited by _Uncommon_; 06-22-2020 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-22-2020, 01:59 PM

23,517 posts, read 23,995,040 times
It’s pretty close, but I picked Tampa.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:15 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
In 2020, I vote for Tampa. However, if you asked me that question 20 years ago when I first moved to Florida, I would have voted for Orlando.

Following the opening of the Walt Disney World Resort in the early 1970's until the mid-1990's, Orlando was heavily settled by Northerners. However, over the past 20-25 years, Orlando has become extremely Hispanic.

Believe or not, many of the Hispanic people currently living in and around Orlando are second- and third-generation Dominican or Puerto Rican immigrants who hail from the northeastern United States. But, that population group falls outside what is considered traditional Yankee culture.

Even though Tampa has experienced some demographic change in the past 20 years, Tampa is still whiter, for lack of a better term, than Orlando and, therefore, has more Yankee influence. This phenomenon is highly correlated with the average age and origin of domestic migrants of Tampa.

Historically, Tampa has drawn many domestic migrants from the Midwest and the inland Northeast, specifically Pennsylvania and Upstate New York. Those regions are markedly whiter than the regions from which Orlando has historically drawn domestic migrants, specifically the Interstate 95 corridor of the Northeast and, to a lesser extent, Southern California.

Additionally, Tampa is located near the coast and, subsequently, has some resort cities and retirement communities near its borders. Of course, resort cities and retirement communities in peninsular Florida draw mostly older people, who are overwhelmingly white Northerners. By contrast, Orlando is more of a destination for young families and childless young adults than retired persons and markets itself as such.
They’re still northerners. White Yankees are far from the only noticeable group in the south. That Afro Caribbean/Latino culture is very prevalent in the far northeast and it’s made it’s way to Orlando. It’s still northern. You’re conflating Yankee/White for northern and that’s just wrong.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:16 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
They're both very influenced by the north, as they are both filled heavily with transplants from the Northeast/Midwest. Neither one really sticks out. Maybe Tampa very slightly has more northern influence, simply because it's by water?

Old 06-22-2020, 03:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
I've been to both, and it was even mentally until I thought which one reminds me more East Texas, and which one is more similar to let's say New York, Tampa reminds me more of East Texas, and neither really reminds me of New York, but Disneyland while in the South and a really defining feature of Orlando doesn't really seem southern outside of physical location (I.e I don't think of amusement parks/Disney Mickey Mouse and older cartoons when I think of the South).

For these reasons I picked Orlando, mostly because Tampa is more Southern (In an East Texas way), while Disneyland gives off a more Northern flair imho.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:33 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I've been to both, and it was even mentally until I thought which one reminds me more East Texas, and which one is more similar to let's say New York, Tampa reminds me more of East Texas, and neither really reminds me of New York, but Disneyland while in the South and a really defining feature of Orlando doesn't really seem southern outside of physical location (I.e I don't think of amusement parks/Disney Mickey Mouse and older cartoons when I think of the South).

For these reasons I picked Orlando, mostly because Tampa is more Southern (In an East Texas way), while Disneyland gives off a more Northern flair imho.
Disney WORLD is a very small segment of the Orlando Metro, and is far removed from 90% of the population.
If Orlando feels influenced by the North, it's not because of amusement parks, but rather because places such as Altamonte, Lake Mary, and Winter Springs, among others, would feel very at home if they were dropped into a random location in New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City