Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Northern influence?
Tampa 13 41.94%
Orlando 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 03:43 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Tough call. Tampa has a noticeable midwestern vibe. Orlando feels more international than northern. It would be interesting to hear from individuals born and raised in both.
It does? I haven't noticed any midwestern vibe in Tampa. No group really dominates, but I've met many more northerners than midwesterners. Neither create much a "vibe" though, no one I know raves about Culvers. People seem to assimilate well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 04:50 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Tampa felt more Southern to me but that doesn't necessarily mean that Orlando is more Northern.

The interesting thing here is that while the Orlando area gets a lot more tourists, I think whatever cultural influence tourists have in both cities is more felt in Tampa proper than Orlando proper since the bulk of tourists to the Orlando area won't even step foot in the core of the city.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:08 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Tampa felt more Southern to me but that doesn't necessarily mean that Orlando is more Northern.

The interesting thing here is that while the Orlando area gets a lot more tourists, I think whatever cultural influence tourists have in both cities is more felt in Tampa proper than Orlando proper since the bulk of tourists to the Orlando area won't even step foot in the core of the city.
True, as Busch Gardens is actually in the city and the Cruise ship Terminal is in the heart of Downtown.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:22 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
True, as Busch Gardens is actually in the city and the Cruise ship Terminal is in the heart of Downtown.
Yep, and there's Ybor City also.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:27 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep, and there's Ybor City also.
And the aquarium...
Basically, Tampa's key attractions are either downtown or still within city limits, and this alone is a key difference between the two cities.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:33 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
It does? I haven't noticed any midwestern vibe in Tampa. No group really dominates, but I've met many more northerners than midwesterners. Neither create much a "vibe" though, no one I know raves about Culvers. People seem to assimilate well.
Yeah, to me. It feels more laid back, blue collar, mom n pop type of restaurants and accents remind me of Ohio. Orlando, not so much.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:02 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Midwesterners ARE northerners...

Old 06-22-2020, 09:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Midwesterners ARE northerners...
In Florida and much of the Southeast, a lot of people separate them out. Northerners usually means the Northeast & New England to many.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:46 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
However, over the past 20-25 years, Orlando has become extremely Hispanic.

Believe or not, many of the Hispanic people currently living in and around Orlando are second- and third-generation Dominican or Puerto Rican immigrants who hail from the northeastern United States. But, that population group falls outside what is considered traditional Yankee culture.
Lots of economic refugees from South Florida. I was surprised that Orlando has emerged as a second-choice in Florida for Hispanics priced out of Miami. Plenty of Venezuelans settle in Miami when they immigrate and then move to Orlando permanently after being settled in the States for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City