Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for Outdoor recreation and scenery?
Atlanta 37 50.00%
Minneapolis-St. Paul 37 50.00%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 10:24 AM

41 posts, read 25,141 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis, and it's not even close.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:34 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Does Atlanta have the lakes within city limits and the abundance of lakes throughout the metro area?

Atlanta has the hilly topography

Lakes vs Hills, make it a wash, arguably

Minneapolis has a waterfall in city limits, I am sure Atlanta has as well. So that's a wash

Minneapolis has an enviable bike trail/greenway system, Atlanta has the Beltline, but it's not completed. So the Twin Cities could win there

In the winter, you can ice skate/play hockey on the ponds and lakes, cross-country ski, sledding and tobogganing in the Twin Cities. That's outdoor recreation right?

What a bunch of hoo-ey that all of these people are saying Atlanta in a landslide.
The Beltine is not all Atlanta has but if you dont know then you should know the Beltline encompasses new parks .Its not just a trail system.
Yes the Beltline is not fully complted but the portions that are complete more miles than the Minneapolis Greenway system which is 5.7 miles
How do you compare something already at about 7-10 miles completed of what will one day be 22 miles?Not to mention is not just for exercise per se but a means to get around the city.
Also the Beltline is NOT the only trail system in Atlanta.
We also have Proctor Creek Greenway,Path 400 which is already as long as MN/SP Greenway and there are more ,but all of these are accessible to the Beltline.

You can take the Silver Comet Trail all the way to the Georgia/Alabama border

The Chattahoochee National Recreational Area is extremely popular for water sport and hiking.
While it doesnt get cold enough for winter sports ,you can still do the same sport you did in Summer in Winter,including fishing without having to cut a ice patch out of a frozen lake.

No its not a landslide at all but Atlanta has the edge but I could be missing something. Some of yall dont even know what Atlanta has to be making such clearly uninformed remarks

Old 09-28-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama211 View Post
Not saying it can’t hold its own, as it has better outdoor amenities than many major cities, but the number of “Atlanta easily” posts here are telling.

Minneapolis and St. Paul have the country’s most important river running through the middle of them, plus tons of beautiful and accessible lakes.
Yes they do

They have an elite park system. The parks are often connected by greenways/trails and almost everyone lives within biking or walking distance of a park, and it’s actually possible to do that unlike in most sunbelt cities.
Umm.. You mean like the Beltline?
Atlanta is Atlanta. Not other sunbelt cities

Contrary to what some here seem to think, the Twin Cities are not flat and there is plenty of tree coverage (not as much as Atlanta, but not lacking).
True
And for people complaining about Minnesota winters, keep in mind that spending time outdoors in the Deep South during July-August can be just as uncomfortable as January-February in Minnesota. And there is a far greater variety of outdoor activities because of MSP’s seasons. Spend summers on the lakes kayaking, swimming, playing beach volleyball, or boating. Spend winters on the lakes playing hokey, skating, or ice fishing.
This is done year long in Atlanta.(not the hockey or ice skating)
Ive never heard of anyone going to MNSP in teh winter just to go. Your movement in Minneapolis is greatly limited during the coldest months.Schools dont close in Atlanta because it got too hot.
Even in MN it can get very hot unlike Atlanta which never gets as cold as MNSP can get.
The forcast till Sunday has MNSP getting down to as low as 47 degrees and highs around 57.ATL lowest around 64 with a high of 77.
I can usually drive even some days in December with my top down in my convertible

Again, this thread is about which city/metro area is more scenic (subjective) AND better for outdoor recreation. I’m willing to bet that the average Twin Cities resident spends significantly more time enjoying parks and other outdoor amenities within the metro than the average Atlantan.
Im not sure this is true. I think in the Summer time this is true since Summers are so brief but people are not out even in MNSP in the winter like they are in the Summer.
ATL has 110 clear days vs 95 clear days for MNSP.Not to mention it gets darker earlier than in Atlanta.

Couple that with the many huge festival Atlanta has like the Jazz Festival or Music Midtown that draws people from all over the country,i cant see it any other way than Atlanta takes this

Old 09-28-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
The last bit there is very telling. That's what it really boils down to.

Not sure what part of the midwest you're from. Sure it can be hot and humid, but typically for shorter amounts of time than the south, especially that upper-midwest area.
Minneapolis will have a day to two here and there of the humid heat but nothing remotely like the south or even other parts of the midwest.
1000 feet isn't much. It might make a little difference over immediate surrounding areas, perhaps enough to make it feel "just right" to some, but the difference isn't dramatic.
I've lived in 7 states at elevations ranging from pretty much sea level on up to 6500 out west. 2 places were around 1000 or so feet. From that experience there may have been a very slight difference at 1000, but nothing to really make note of. There are a lot of other factors that come into play as well, not just elevation.
Just a month or two ago
https://abcnews.go.com/US/heat-wave-...ry?id=71837269

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/28/us/he...wxc/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...e-965310019926

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...t-728950339957

Old 09-28-2020, 11:11 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
For what its worth, MSP may have more daylight hours in the summer. It seems the far far north cities have longer days during the summer than southern cities. I found that out when I was in Seattle, we were getting sunlight until almost 10pm in July / August .. was errie, In the winter its the polar opposite though...days are extremely short. That stated, the big turnoff for me for MSP in terms of outdoor activity are the winters.

Outside of the greenways, MSP, as well as many northern metro's are built altogether differently than southern metros. Many more indoor entities and the way strip malls and shopping plazas are converted into indoor malls rather than outdoor outlets in central and southern states. More interconnected buildings in the core and sheltered walkways between buildings as well.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama211 View Post
The Beltline project is great. Still can’t compete with MSP’s existing network of greenways.

For starters, the 50-mile Grand Rounds Byway around Minneapolis: https://www.minneapolisparks.org/_as...and-rounds.pdf

The 5.5 mile Mid-town Greenway, a pedestrian and bike highway cutting across the city: https://www.traillink.com/trail/midtown-greenway-(mn)/

The 4.5 mile Cedar Lake trail: https://www.traillink.com/trail/ceda...egional-trail/

The 4.7 mile Hiawatha trail: https://www.traillink.com/trail/hiawatha-lrt-trail/

And this is basically just within Minneapolis city limits. St. Paul and the burbs have their own paths. Again, ATL is on the right path (especially for a sunbelt metro!), but if you’re seriously arguing that it beats MSP in this particular category, you need to do some Googling. MSP is arguably the best in the country for integrated greenways/bike paths.
If this was strictly city,Minneapolis would have the edge. Its metros in which some of you only speak of whats in the city.
In the metro Atlanta by far has the advantage. You look at whats offered outside MN and it pales in comparison to all the outdoor actives Atlanta has /From Stone Mountain,Kennesaw,Panola and Arabia Mountains alone blows anything in the MNSP area.

You can take a trail from downtown Atlanta to Stone Mountain.
As I mentioned already you have the Silver Comet trail you can bike 60miles all the way to Alabama.

You have multi Trail systems all over the metro and they are growing rapidly to a point where they will all be connected sooner than later.

Here is a good video to give you an idea of some of them.
You see Arabia Mountain has 30 miles of paved roadd
This video link list a few of them that are popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l05Ui1EmboM

Arabia Mountain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoGPrMu1zmI
So while I agree city alone Minneapolis wins this easily but many of you have no idea what Atlanta metro has which makes it a clear winner here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l05Ui1EmboM

Old 09-29-2020, 12:30 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times
For Minneapolis to be this close to Atlanta in votes with all the Atlanta region posters on C-D who are active daily ... says a lot. Minneapolis St Paul do have Natural Forested areas within the city limits and after all ..... they are the twin-cities.

The St Paul Tree canopy alone covers 32.5% of the total land area of Saint Paul and for Minneapolis it is 28.8%. So that is not a low amount and worth it by the poll votes as these twin cities are not really boasted of nearly as they should on C-D ......

Old 09-29-2020, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
For Minneapolis to be this close to Atlanta in votes with all the Atlanta region posters on C-D who are active daily ... says a lot. Minneapolis St Paul do have Natural Forested areas within the city limits and after all ..... they are the twin-cities.

The St Paul Tree canopy alone covers 32.5% of the total land area of Saint Paul and for Minneapolis it is 28.8%. So that is not a low amount and worth it by the poll votes as these twin cities are not really boasted of nearly as they should on C-D ......
I don't thinks it's says alot at all. Both cities are great outdoors places and it's not a stretch for wither to be the winner in some people view.

Yeh tree canopy kits for the city for Atlanta is around 47Peecent.

National Geographic picked Atlanta as on of it's Places in a Lifetime, in the WORLD largely because of its tree canopy.
Here is the complete list
URBAN SPACES

Athens, Greece
Atlanta, Georgia
Barcelona, Spain
Berlin, Germany
Delhi, India
Dublin, Ireland
Florence, Italy
Hong Kong, China
Istanbul, Turkey
Jerusalem, Israel
London, England
Mexico City, Mexico
New York, New York
Paris, France
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
San Francisco, California
St. Petersburg, Russia
Tokyo, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Venice, Italy
Good company to be with

Old 09-29-2020, 07:17 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Those news stories only prove my point.
A "heat wave" in Minneapolis is like just another day in places like Atlanta. Not to mention, they happen on Saturday, not July. A day or two here and there.
Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference. Neither are San Diego, compromises have to made somewhere concerning outdoor activities.

The Twin City's metro area is one of the best in the country for outdoor recreation. But really, it's the entire states of Minnesota and Wisconsin, including rural areas and small towns, that helps it stand out in this comparison even without the bigger hills. That's just my opinion.
Minnesota consistently ranks as one of the healthiest states, thanks to the culture surrounding outdoor recreation.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Those news stories only prove my point.
A "heat wave" in Minneapolis is like just another day in places like Atlanta. Not to mention, they happen on Saturday, not July. A day or two here and there.
Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference. Neither are San Diego, compromises have to made somewhere concerning outdoor activities.

The Twin City's metro area is one of the best in the country for outdoor recreation. But really, it's the entire states of Minnesota and Wisconsin, including rural areas and small towns, that helps it stand out in this comparison even without the bigger hills. That's just my opinion.
Minnesota consistently ranks as one of the healthiest states, thanks to the culture surrounding outdoor recreation.
Your point is not proven if you dont understand the meaning of a heatwave
People dont die in droves from heatwaves in Atlanta like the do when you have these heat waves which last more than one day typically.Not a Saturday.
Heatwaves are abnormal events. It doesnt mean it gets hot,it means it is an abnormal accurance where temperatures

heatwave
noun
a prolonged period of abnormally hot weather.

Temperatures in Atlanta dont get up to 115 degrees plus whcih is what the heat index gets up to during those Midwest Heatwaves.

Georgia has mountains.Not hills. The Appalachians to be exact.Maybe you have heard of them?

Mountains that are within Metro Atlanta in which this what the thread is about.
Jeez you cant win one argument so you have start another.

Like I said ,you have days in MNSP you cant even function because its so cold. You have snow storms in April.
In Atlanta its hottest months are July and August. Coldest months are January and February.
It was in the 60s last Christmas. Most of the year you can be outdoors without huge discomfort. Its one of the reason Atlanta has been one of the fastest growing cities for over 40 years straight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City