Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for Outdoor recreation and scenery?
Atlanta 37 50.00%
Minneapolis-St. Paul 37 50.00%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 10:17 AM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I don't thinks it's says alot at all. Both cities are great outdoors places and it's not a stretch for wither to be the winner in some people view.

Yeh tree canopy kits for the city for Atlanta is around 47Peecent.

National Geographic picked Atlanta as on of it's Places in a Lifetime, in the WORLD largely because of its tree canopy.
Here is the complete list
URBAN SPACES

Athens, Greece
Atlanta, Georgia
Barcelona, Spain
Berlin, Germany
Delhi, India
Dublin, Ireland
Florence, Italy
Hong Kong, China
Istanbul, Turkey
Jerusalem, Israel
London, England
Mexico City, Mexico
New York, New York
Paris, France
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
San Francisco, California
St. Petersburg, Russia
Tokyo, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Venice, Italy
Good company to be with
To click on numerous links on Tree-canopy of cities has EACH ONE IS DIFFERENT. Moreso then virtually any other kind of numbers list. So we can pick and choose. Again, the idea was to boost for Atlanta for the thread and it has continued.

I addressed why Minneapolis is so close in the polls and no one goes though C-D to boast for it on trees or as a City in a Forest. 90% of the posters will be the same Atlanta region posters I read almost daily in threads if Atlanta is in the topic. They rule the thread and also Bostonians who many times have Boston in their ID. I felt it worth a noting that Minneapolis/St Paul do have Natural forested areas in both cities divided by the river. No one ever needs to boast this fact to claim a arrival for Minneapolis region by its tree-canopy....
Most list place Singapore at #1 in the world for tree coverage and your list is one that does not even mention it in the Alphabetical list.

On links of the Nation's or World's top Tree cities. List are all over the board. Many do not have Atlanta on them and will Seattle, Portland, Tampa. Boston, Sacramento etc. so to choose one becomes well ... you chose the one you see your city higher.

Anyway, the thread is not on trees. It is on Scenery that can have trees and Outdoor recreation. We know one of the state of Minnesota's mottos is "land of 10,000 Lakes". Lakes always add to scenery. Anyway being not a local to either location.

Since Boston has a lot of C-D boosters too. "Boston vs Atlanta for scenery and outdoor recreation " might have more a 50/50 chance of locals from both regions debating their cities and region.....

Old 09-29-2020, 05:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
To click on numerous links on Tree-canopy of cities has EACH ONE IS DIFFERENT. Moreso then virtually any other kind of numbers list. So we can pick and choose. Again, the idea was to boost for Atlanta for the thread and it has continued.

I addressed why Minneapolis is so close in the polls and no one goes though C-D to boast for it on trees or as a City in a Forest. 90% of the posters will be the same Atlanta region posters I read almost daily in threads if Atlanta is in the topic. They rule the thread and also Bostonians who many times have Boston in their ID. I felt it worth a noting that Minneapolis/St Paul do have Natural forested areas in both cities divided by the river. No one ever needs to boast this fact to claim a arrival for Minneapolis region by its tree-canopy....
Most list place Singapore at #1 in the world for tree coverage and your list is one that does not even mention it in the Alphabetical list.

On links of the Nation's or World's top Tree cities. List are all over the board. Many do not have Atlanta on them and will Seattle, Portland, Tampa. Boston, Sacramento etc. so to choose one becomes well ... you chose the one you see your city higher.

Anyway, the thread is not on trees. It is on Scenery that can have trees and Outdoor recreation. We know one of the state of Minnesota's mottos is "land of 10,000 Lakes". Lakes always add to scenery. Anyway being not a local to either location.

Since Boston has a lot of C-D boosters too. "Boston vs Atlanta for scenery and outdoor recreation " might have more a 50/50 chance of locals from both regions debating their cities and region.....
You say it's not about trees after YOU brought it up. The list I provided was about sense of place of which Atlanta Tree canopy is what they thought helped do that. .That's not just about trees.
In this list that you refer to,they are all over the place because they don't rank ever city bit select cities .
in those list that do have a ranking ,Atlanta is always in there somewhere. Again the scenery component very well should consider the amount of trees as much as your precious lakes . It's obvious when you minimize them because it should very well be apart of this discussion as you full well know you it favors Atlanta.
So much for so called "no dog in this fight"
I have seen your post and every post that has Midwestern favouritism.

Yes there is some homerism on all sides but don't try to discredit the points being made as most people are from the city they like .
The thread is about "scenery and outdoor recreation"
In this thread their have been snide veil attempts at Atlanta such as minimizing the fact it's in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains and has mountains within it's metro being regulated to "hills" .Atlanta is rather hilly and is in the Piedmont region which has many areas where exposed rocks give a beautiful back drop to look at but useful for climbing and hiking.
Yes water is much more abundant in MSP,but so is the ability to hike or rock climb in the Atlanta area due to its terrain.

Then the heat simply is not a big an issue as the often cold snow storms where the city is rendered helpless. Where movement is severely impacted .Even when commerce is open very few people are outside enjoying the outdoors .
it's one of the reason I love going to Midwestern cities in late Spring and Summer as they are so lovely and beautiful during the those months. So many festivals and people all around the water ways.
This is Atlanta from April to October.

Cities don't shut down because of heat. We rarely have "heatwaves" which is different than hot weather.

I can see why some would say MSP wins this and have no problem with that but the arguments against Atlanta are far fetched and u can tell based on some of the comments people are just using regional stereotypes rather than actually knowing what they are talking about
when in comes to Atlanta .

For instance:the Beltline isn't jist a milti use trail. It's also parks and art which adds to scenery of what this thread asked about in which people keep leaving out.

Also again, the Beltline isn't the only trail system but it's all some of you keep comparing it to what's in MSP.

Atlanta hands down is a more popular and bigger city so you have more people that likely have an idea about it. So a bigger city with this in mind and the fact that it has such a huge regional and more of a national prominent place than MSP,I can see why more people would comment on here. It's an outsized comparison

Old 09-30-2020, 08:51 PM

47 posts, read 29,324 times
Recreationally, there’s little you can do in Atlanta that you can’t do in Minneapolis.

Conversely, there’s a lot of recreational activities you can do in Minneapolis, like Winter sports, that you can’t do in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City