Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 03:29 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Worcester has TONS of blight. More than literally anywhere in Bristol County in just Worcester. I don't know why we cant just say that, admit it and move on when it comes to Worcester. It looks like an absolute pit in its core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDxHcLlKdyU
As someone who has nothing to do with Bostonians arguing the Turf of New England.

This video is a FAR CRY From showing a WORST GHETTO (does not look like one to me unless crime is very high) sorry. I have seen places literally worse 100-fold though years ago and YouTube videos portraying real blighted blocks of ghettos

All I see at the start is a partial block of rows at the dead-end of a street. Once it leaves that..... The rest WERE NOT HOMES IN DECAY OR RUIN AT ALL SORRY.

Most of this only locals would know as soooo many threads go to one city's folk or former ones debating things outsiders know nothing about and THIS THREAD IS NOT ON ONE METRO anyway or ghettos.

Bostonians... If this is your worst example? It was a failure to prove it by that video to me. It just does not look like any INFILL had come to that neighborhood? So probably not in gentrification yet.... Blight seems very limited or hit and miss. If it is HIGH CRIME? I can see it called a ghetto perhaps. Just not in severe blight whatsoever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 03:40 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Nashua and Portsmouth MSA isn't in MA
Portsmouth’s is. Nashua’s NECTA division is, too.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The SC suburbs of Charlotte do kind of get overlooked in conversations either about Charlotte or SC.

That's easily my favorite part of the state, and also my favorite part of the Charlotte metro area.
True. I think it's coming into its own as something akin to SC's version of a scaled-down NoVA of sorts. There's even talk of York County getting a rail line that connects to LYNX, especially with the new Panthers HQ complex coming.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:31 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
As someone who has nothing to do with Bostonians arguing the Turf of New England.

This video is a FAR CRY From showing a WORST GHETTO (does not look like one to me unless crime is very high) sorry. I have seen places literally worse 100-fold though years ago and YouTube videos portraying real blighted blocks of ghettos

All I see at the start is a partial block of rows at the dead-end of a street. Once it leaves that..... The rest WERE NOT HOMES IN DECAY OR RUIN AT ALL SORRY.

Most of this only locals would know as soooo many threads go to one city's folk or former ones debating things outsiders know nothing about and THIS THREAD IS NOT ON ONE METRO anyway or ghettos.

Bostonians... If this is your worst example? It was a failure to prove it by that video to me. It just does not look like any INFILL had come to that neighborhood? So probably not in gentrification yet.... Blight seems very limited or hit and miss. If it is HIGH CRIME? I can see it called a ghetto perhaps. Just not in severe blight whatsoever...
Bostonians have a tendency to say places like Dorchester, Worcester, Fall River, Lawrence etc are blighted and disgusting and the worst thing ever.

I got a lot of crap for saying this where I've lived lol. Our bad parts are not bad in comparison to BAD parts in other states.

But in defense of BBMM, he was just trying to throw a point that Worcester is more blighted than Bristol County

Old 10-17-2020, 04:59 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:

They’re just all old shabby apartments. Overcrowded. Not much towards mobility. But no Worcester is by far our safest Gateway city. It is also one of Our less ethnic gateway cities compared to Springfield. Brockton Lynn Lowell and Lawrence.

But Aesthetically? yea this is about as bad as it gets. There a few pockets around the metro that are worse (Fitchburg Fall River Lawrence Brockton Springfield Holyoke) but not many. This place in the winter get much more snowfall than Boston and city services are less efficient that and the cold this place us just miserable. It’s a pit and socially dysfunctional. Prostitutes and addicts abound. An that’s why it hasn’t seen any infill in 100 years even though it’s 45 minutes from Boston.

Uglier hoods in Hartford Bridgeport and Waterbury CT and Central Falls RI.

And to Massachoicestts point-yea no one comparing Worcester to a Detroit East St Louis or Little Rock or even Newark or Philly. Remember-I live in Baltimore. The thing is you can find plenty blighted areas in Worcester with much shoddier housing than what’s shown in the video. It’s a pretty big city. This is just a 10 minute video he can’t get to it all that quick lol.

But yea I’d say Worcester is more blighted than New Bedford or Fall River it just has more suburban parts and has more variation of housing styles and more businesses.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-17-2020 at 05:16 PM..

Old 10-17-2020, 05:32 PM

472 posts, read 346,357 times
Tennessee:
For awhile I would've said Nashville=Memphis>Knox>Chatt>Tri-cities>Jackson>Clark.

I'd say now it is more akin to Nash>Memphis>Chatt>Knox>Tri-cities=Jackson=Clark. I think the Memphis Metro area is filled with some really nice burbs (Cville, Gtown), but Franklin and places like Brentwood are pretty nice as well. While Memphis is improving, Nash is on fire. I also feel like Chatt is growing a lot and getting more respect (respect it rightly deserves); it has really cleaned itself up and taken on a whole new image for itself.

Arizona: PHX>Tucson>Flag. It has been that order for a long time. PHX is just enormous now and has an insane metro area. I think as it grows though a lot of the PHX natives will be pushed out and Tucson will start to grow more and more. Idk if Flag's area will change drastically, but it doesn't really have the area to expand like the other two nor the infrastructure in general.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:35 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
They’re just all old shabby apartments. Overcrowded. Not much towards mobility. But no Worcester is by far our safest Gateway city. It is also one of Our less ethnic gateway cities compared to Springfield. Brockton Lynn Lowell and Lawrence.

But Aesthetically? yea this is about as bad as it gets. There a few pockets around the metro that are worse (Fitchburg Fall River Lawrence Brockton Springfield Holyoke) but not many. This place in the winter get much more snowfall than Boston and city services are less efficient that and the cold this place us just miserable. It’s a pit and socially dysfunctional. Prostitutes and addicts abound. An that’s why it hasn’t seen any infill in 100 years even though it’s 45 minutes from Boston.

Uglier hoods in Hartford Bridgeport and Waterbury CT and Central Falls RI.

And to Massachoicestts point-yea no one comparing Worcester to a Detroit East St Louis or Little Rock or even Newark or Philly. Remember-I live in Baltimore. The thing is you can find plenty blighted areas in Worcester with much shoddier housing than what’s shown in the video. It’s a pretty big city. This is just a 10 minute video he can’t get to it all that quick lol.

But yea I’d say Worcester is more blighted than New Bedford or Fall River it just has more suburban parts and has more variation of housing styles and more businesses.

I don't know if Worcester is more blighted than Fall River. Fall River is pretty bad. And I'm Portuguese...

Old 10-18-2020, 11:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:

The only thing that even implies blight here is the lack of cars, lack of people, lack of activity. Structurally, this could be any one of a number of Boston neighborhoods. What's working against them is the economy. There aren't a lot of jobs and the effect is lack of vibrancy. It's a beautiful and historic city and destination of many immigrants, that made its bones in textile mills and manufacturing. It was hit hard by globalization and lacks many of the advantages that Boston had in adapting to the changing economy. It's been slowly trying to make a comeback and has made significant improvements in recent years. And like other Massachusetts localities has had to deal with crony/corrupt and often less-than-competent political leadership.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:24 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The only thing that even implies blight here is the lack of cars, lack of people, lack of activity. Structurally, this could be any one of a number of Boston neighborhoods. What's working against them is the economy. There aren't a lot of jobs and the effect is lack of vibrancy. It's a beautiful and historic city and destination of many immigrants, that made its bones in textile mills and manufacturing. It was hit hard by globalization and lacks many of the advantages that Boston had in adapting to the changing economy. It's been slowly trying to make a comeback and has made significant improvements in recent years. And like other Massachusetts localities has had to deal with crony/corrupt and often less-than-competent political leadership.
Did you not see the boarded up homes, factories and the vacant lots? And other unkempt properties? it isn’t blight city but there’s plenty blight there. I could find several more blighted areas in Worcester, easily. We didn’t even go through Triple Decker dominated Worcester hoods. Or the projects..

It’s abundantly clear the area ha son money, vitality and minimal upkeep. I would consider most of that video-blighted. With a few non blighted blocks.

This doesn’t not look like Boston neighborhoods 2020. Maybe 30 years ago..

Old 10-18-2020, 12:30 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
Tennessee:
For awhile I would've said Nashville=Memphis>Knox>Chatt>Tri-cities>Jackson>Clark.

I'd say now it is more akin to Nash>Memphis>Chatt>Knox>Tri-cities=Jackson=Clark. I think the Memphis Metro area is filled with some really nice burbs (Cville, Gtown), but Franklin and places like Brentwood are pretty nice as well. While Memphis is improving, Nash is on fire. I also feel like Chatt is growing a lot and getting more respect (respect it rightly deserves); it has really cleaned itself up and taken on a whole new image for itself.
Knoxville vs Chattanooga is a bit interesting when looking at their sizes and growth rates. Knoxville is definitely the larger MSA with 200K+ more people, but their CSA populations and MSA and CSA growth rates over the past decade are quite similar. But economically and in terms of overall importance, I think Knoxville is solidly ahead with assets like UT, TVA, Oak Ridge, etc as well as the tourist hotspots like Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge in the larger region (CSA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City