Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 08:35 PM

626 posts, read 463,237 times

Advertisements

Can someone do Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 06:26 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Mississippi:

2000 - JXN , Coast , H'Burg

2020- JXN, Coast, H'Burg

Old 10-21-2020, 03:30 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Missouri

2000: St. Louis >> Kansas City >>> Springfield > Columbia >> St. Joseph > Jefferson City >> Joplin > Rolla > Hannibal > Cape Girardeau

2020: St. Louis > Kansas City >>> Springfield | Columbia >> Jefferson City > St. Joseph > Joplin > Rolla > Hannibal > Cape Girardeau

2040: Kansas City > St. Louis* >>> Columbia > Springfield > Jefferson City >> St. Joseph | Joplin > Hannibal > Rolla > Cape Girardeau

* or possibly Kansas City | St. Louis, or even St. Louis | Kansas City, but in any case, Kansas City's growth trajectory has been outpacing St. Louis' since the 1990s. I may be underselling St. Joseph here, given its proximity to Kansas City, but it's been my impression that the state's onetime fifth-largest city (Columbia has passed it already in that department, and Jeff City is nipping at its heels) hasn't been able to capitalize on its closeness to KC, and especially to KCI, which is closer to St. Joseph than it is to the southerly reaches of the Kansas City metropolitan area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Missouri is going to be the weird one to predict in the future. Metro St. Louis is growing on the Missouri side but losing population on the Illinois side, whereas metro KCMO seems to be more so favoring the Kansas side these days. This might very well keep the weight towards metro St. Louis if current trends continue for the next 20-30 years.
MO is actually really easy to predict, because unless there's a massive change, it's St. Louis by a long shot. Aside from St. Louis's big MSA lead (yes, KC is very slowly gaining), like you (PerseusVeil) alluded to, KC is much more split over state lines. The MO counties of St. Louis are almost half ($141.3 billion)of the state's gdp, while KC MO counties are less than a quarter at just over $70 billion. Some KC posters on here love to bash STL and pretend like KC is already the number 1 region in MO, but all the numbers show this claim is empty and really just absurd, and that's before we even get into things like culture and history.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:35 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
MO is actually really easy to predict, because unless there's a massive change, it's St. Louis by a long shot. Aside from St. Louis's big MSA lead (yes, KC is very slowly gaining), like you (PerseusVeil) alluded to, KC is much more split over state lines. The MO counties of St. Louis are almost half ($141.3 billion)of the state's gdp, while KC MO counties are less than a quarter at just over $70 billion. Some KC posters on here love to bash STL and pretend like KC is already the number 1 region in MO, but all the numbers show this claim is empty and really just absurd, and that's before we even get into things like culture and history.
St. Louis will always have the historical advantage over Kansas City; it dates to 1763 while "Westport Landing" was settled in 1838.

And it will have the cultural advantage overall thanks to institutions like the Missouri Botanical Garden (Shaw's Garden), the St. Louis Symphony and the St. Louis Zoo, but there are some KC cultural institutions and facilities that outclass their cross-state counterparts: the Nelson-Atkins vs. the St. Louis Museum of Art, the Kemper Contemporary vs. nothing in St. Louis yet, and the Kaufmann Center for the Performing Arts (is there a counterpart to this in St. L? The KC analogue for the Fox Theater is the Midland).

But we'll see your blues and raise you jazz, and KC is in the BBQ pantheon while St. Louis is on the next level down (though everyone gets confused thanks to St. Louis-style ribs, which are a method of trimming rather than a style of preparation: the even trim of St. Louis ribs makes them better for grilling, which is not the same thing as barbecuing).

However, yes, St. Louis is rooted in Missouri whereas Kansas City, Mo., has had one foot in Kansas for many decades (The Kansas City Star was Kansas' largest-circulating newspaper in its heyday from the 1930s to the 1960s, and John Guinther called the city "the capital of a state it isn't even in" in his 1948 book Inside U.S.A.). Which is why I also included it in my Kansas power rankings.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:17 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
I'm not sure how to do Washington state, we have so many strong edge cities that if they were their own metro areas they would out rank many of our independent cities, and then Portland metro area bleeds into the Vancouver area. And then if we just go purely based on city boundaries then I would have to consider 100k+ suburbs such as Kent, so I'm not really sure how to split this up.

If I just go by my personal feelings on how much influence the various cities in WA carry I would say something like this

[Seattle] > [Spokane = Tacoma] > [Bellevue] > [Olympia = Vancouver = Tri-Cities] > [Bellingham = Bremerton = Yakima = Everett]

Old 10-23-2020, 03:39 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
Very interesting thread and great read!

Old 10-23-2020, 10:46 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Florida:
1) Miami
2) Tampa
3) Orlando
4) Jacksonville
5) Sarasota-North Point

Old 10-24-2020, 01:12 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Florida:
1) Miami
2) Tampa
3) Orlando
4) Jacksonville
5) Sarasota-North Point
Is this 2000, 2020, or 2040?

Old 10-24-2020, 05:48 AM

29 posts, read 32,642 times
Quote:
Is this 2000, 2020, or 2040?
Probably all three. I don’t see it changing anytime soon. An argument MIGHT be able to be made for swapping Orlando and Tampa for 2020, but moving forward, I think Tampa has the edge.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:59 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
St. Louis will always have the historical advantage over Kansas City; it dates to 1763 while "Westport Landing" was settled in 1838.

And it will have the cultural advantage overall thanks to institutions like the Missouri Botanical Garden (Shaw's Garden), the St. Louis Symphony and the St. Louis Zoo, but there are some KC cultural institutions and facilities that outclass their cross-state counterparts: the Nelson-Atkins vs. the St. Louis Museum of Art, the Kemper Contemporary vs. nothing in St. Louis yet, and the Kaufmann Center for the Performing Arts (is there a counterpart to this in St. L? The KC analogue for the Fox Theater is the Midland).

But we'll see your blues and raise you jazz, and KC is in the BBQ pantheon while St. Louis is on the next level down (though everyone gets confused thanks to St. Louis-style ribs, which are a method of trimming rather than a style of preparation: the even trim of St. Louis ribs makes them better for grilling, which is not the same thing as barbecuing).

However, yes, St. Louis is rooted in Missouri whereas Kansas City, Mo., has had one foot in Kansas for many decades (The Kansas City Star was Kansas' largest-circulating newspaper in its heyday from the 1930s to the 1960s, and John Guinther called the city "the capital of a state it isn't even in" in his 1948 book Inside U.S.A.). Which is why I also included it in my Kansas power rankings.
Do you not realize that I was the one who explained everything about St. Louis ribs to you because you actually had no clue why they were called that (yet you somehow were presenting yourself as some kind of BBQ authority...)? You also said in that thread you hadn't been to St. Louis in like 30-40 plus years, and I questioned then how you felt able to critique things like the current food scene there, yet here you go again...

You also kind of just ignored the meat of this:

The MO counties of St. Louis are almost half ($141.3 billion)of the state's gdp, while KC MO counties are less than a quarter at just over $70 billion. Some KC posters on here love to bash STL and pretend like KC is already the number 1 region in MO, but all the numbers show this claim is empty and really just absurd....

So how do KC posters such as yourself justify saying KC will pass STL in 20 yrs and be the number 1 region in MO? I wasn't thinking of you when I mentioned the KC posters before (because on lots of issues on here your posts are well thought out and informative), but how you continue to post about STL things that you've already admitted you can't possibly know is kind of making me wonder... There's plenty more to address in your posts, but with how you ignored the half dozen BBQ discussions I'm thinking more why bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City