Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 12:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Did you not see the boarded up homes, factories and the vacant lots? And other unkempt properties? it isn’t blight city but there’s plenty blight there. I could find several more blighted areas in Worcester, easily. We didn’t even go through Triple Decker dominated Worcester hoods. Or the projects..

It’s abundantly clear the area ha son money, vitality and minimal upkeep. I would consider most of that video-blighted. With a few non blighted blocks.

This doesn’t not look like Boston neighborhoods 2020. Maybe 30 years ago..

Then you haven't been on certain streets of Roxbury or Mattapan over the last 10 years, or some of the projects. I wasn't referring to other areas of Worcester, I was referring to the video. Did you not see my reference to the video?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 12:48 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Idk if not a true fan of Worcester area but to say it is more blighted than Fall River and New Bedford is just wrong. Like wrong wrong.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Did you not see the boarded up homes, factories and the vacant lots? And other unkempt properties? it isn’t blight city but there’s plenty blight there. I could find several more blighted areas in Worcester, easily. We didn’t even go through Triple Decker dominated Worcester hoods. Or the projects..

It’s abundantly clear the area ha son money, vitality and minimal upkeep. I would consider most of that video-blighted. With a few non blighted blocks.

This doesn’t not look like Boston neighborhoods 2020. Maybe 30 years ago..
Have you been to Worcester lately? That's like.not what it is. I have a "secondary residence" in NC, and if you are familiar with Durham. That's what Worcester reminds me of when it comes to percentage of blight and Redevelopment. You sell Worcester short of what it is. It deserves the credit here.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:17 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Then you haven't been on certain streets of Roxbury or Mattapan over the last 10 years, or some of the projects. I wasn't referring to other areas of Worcester, I was referring to the video. Did you not see my reference to the video?
There definitely obvious blight in the video. And I’m in Roxbury and Mattapan all the time. I’m from there. All the large chunks of blight are gone really. The only blighted looking project left in those areas is Brinkley heath. There are hardly any boarded up buildings in Boston. Worcester on the other hand has more the an it’s fair share. It’s core is ugly. I wouldn’t call Worcester a beautiful city, no.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Have you been to Worcester lately? That's like.not what it is. I have a "secondary residence" in NC, and if you are familiar with Durham. That's what Worcester reminds me of when it comes to percentage of blight and Redevelopment. You sell Worcester short of what it is. It deserves the credit here.
I was in Worcester very recently. Went to mezcal, emblems and a rite aid. It was gross. Do I really need to post street views?

Old 10-18-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I was in Worcester very recently. Went to mezcal, emblems and a rite aid. It was gross. Do I really need to post street views?
Well this thread is about power.

Worcester has far more Lab Space, Office Buildings, Office
-Top 100 ARWU University and 4 Top 1000 in its County/MSA
-Higher Population Growth.
-A more significant GDP
-30X as much lab space. Nearly 10 million square feet of lab space. Fall River is the closest at 150,000 sqft.
-Much, MUCH more development in pipeline for Worcester. No source needed.
-Prior to COVID, an airport with passenger service by Delta, jetBlue and American Airlines with service to Philadelphia, Detroit, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and future service to Charlotte and Newark were planned. TF green is 30 minutes to Bristol County. ORH was 40 minutes to Logan. So saying Tf Green was close by is no excuse.

So yes, by every metric Worcester was more important than Bristol County MA

Old 10-18-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
There definitely obvious blight in the video. And I’m in Roxbury and Mattapan all the time. I’m from there. All the large chunks of blight are gone really. The only blighted looking project left in those areas is Brinkley heath. There are hardly any boarded up buildings in Boston. Worcester on the other hand has more the an it’s fair share. It’s core is ugly. I wouldn’t call Worcester a beautiful city, no.

I don't know any Brinkley Heath so I'll assume you mean Bromley Heath. There have been boarded up buildings over the last 10 years, as well as streets that could easily compare to some in the video. I've seen them. It's only the within the last 10 years that some parts of Mat and Rox have begun to change because transit issues pretty much relegated certain parts to last in the eyes of gentrifiers and speculators. That said, despite being shinier, to some degree, I don't necessarily see those changes as improvements, as they have resulted in massive displacement of long-term residents.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t call Worcester a beautiful city, no.

Depends on how deep your vision is. I see great potential in Worcester; its revitalization has already begun in downtown. It does not have the monetary and geographical advantages that Boston has had but it is transforming. I've eaten at some great restaurants there.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well this thread is about power.

Worcester has far more Lab Space, Office Buildings, Office
-Top 100 ARWU University and 4 Top 1000 in its County/MSA
-Higher Population Growth.
-A more significant GDP
-30X as much lab space. Nearly 10 million square feet of lab space. Fall River is the closest at 150,000 sqft.
-Much, MUCH more development in pipeline for Worcester. No source needed.
-Prior to COVID, an airport with passenger service by Delta, jetBlue and American Airlines with service to Philadelphia, Detroit, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and future service to Charlotte and Newark were planned. TF green is 30 minutes to Bristol County. ORH was 40 minutes to Logan. So saying Tf Green was close by is no excuse.

So yes, by every metric Worcester was more important than Bristol County MA
I guess I’m bias but my measure really is the significance or notability which I I guess Isn’t fair. I just know and I think you do to Worcester has very little culture reach and impact. It has a small commuting shed and only a few suburbs. Providence seems to hold far more of a cultural and media hold over SEMA than Worcester has over anywhere WPRI, WBRU, etc. soft power. like is Worcester even a media market of its own? It seems like Worcester has like very few attractions and very little success that isn’t tied to its eastern suburbs/Boston’s westernmost suburbs. Just feels like it’s got beauty pageant numbers but I can’t argue with lab space. But a lot of what your talking about is planned or coming up. That’s why I put Worcester ahead of Providence in 2040 and not 2020.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:11 PM

229 posts, read 217,246 times
Utah

2000:
1. Salt Lake City
2. Tie Provo-Ogden
3. Logan
4. St. George
5. Cedar City.
6. Park City

2020:
1. Salt Lake City
2. Provo
3. Ogden
4. St. George
5. Logan
6. Cedar City
7. Park City/Heber City

2040:
1. Salt Lake City
2. Provo
3. Tie Ogden-St. george
4. Logan
5. Park City/Heber
6. Cedar City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City