Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Ohio?
Akron 2 1.43%
Cincinnati 15 10.71%
Cleveland 103 73.57%
Columbus 17 12.14%
Dayton 1 0.71%
Toledo 2 1.43%
Other (specify) 0 0%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 01:49 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Columbus is a discoverer
Cincinnati is a radio station
Cleveland is Ohio.

I think that's how most Americans and Canadians see Ohio in a nutshell.
Not sure if the Millennials and younger generations will think that about Cincinnati. I'm a late Gen X-er and that's one of my childhood favorites, and can recite the opening theme.

Anyhow I think Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati in that order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 06:40 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
Cleveland. I hardly even knew about the other Ohio cities until I started City Data'ing.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:48 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Honestly as a Clevelander the lopsided-ness of this poll kind of surprised me. I think people from Cleveland tend to identify as Clevelanders first and Ohioans second. I think of Columbus as being quintessential Ohio and having more state pride. Sure Cleveland has more name recognition, but Columbus is more representative of the “average” of Ohio (politically, culturally, demographically, etc.)
Exactly! I voted for Columbus, even though (obviously) I'm from Cleveland. Ohio is seen as average, conservative and dull -- unfairly on many levels, but it's difficult to get around the state's traditionally middle-of-the-road and, now, increasingly conservative (see backwards) politics. Cleveland, for all the negative catcalls, (ie "mistake on lake"), it is hardly seen as "average" or even "dull." ... and those who even know a little more about Cleveland, realize it is solid blue, liberal -- esp compared to downstate Ohio. People knowledgeable about the state know there's been a long-standing 'war' between upstate and downstate Ohio (more a Cleveland vs. Columbus thing, moreso than vs. Cincy -- although Paul Brown did steal our football team, take it to Cincy and give it a "B"- team name with the same brown & orange colors -- all out of spite against Art Modell, who'd fired him).

If you don't believe this Cleveland vs Columbus & downstate rivalry still exists, I suggest you visit the Ohio threads.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Cleveland. The Mistake on the Lake.
Here we go again.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 10-25-2020 at 01:34 PM..

Old 10-25-2020, 02:09 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,779 times
I haven't heard Cleveland referred to as "The mistake by the Lake" for a very long time.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:52 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Would be a toss up between Columbus and Cleveland.

Columbus is the capital and has the Buckeyes and the Blue Jackets.

Cleveland is well known because of the rock and roll hall of fame and a cool song by Ian Hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
The Cleveland Browns are also more popular than the Bengals, most of Ohio roots for the Browns.
Everyone I know in the Dayton area, in laws, co workers are Browns fans, Dayton also has three Cleveland Browns bars and a radio station that broadcasts their games.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:55 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Columbus is a discoverer
Cincinnati is a radio station
Cleveland is Ohio.

I think that's how most Americans and Canadians see Ohio in a nutshell.
Cincinnati was also known for its airport.

It was where Delta flyers would transfer besides Atlanta.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:27 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Cleveland is what comes to mind first. Although nowadays I hear about Columbus much more.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:10 AM

183 posts, read 196,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Honestly as a Clevelander the lopsided-ness of this poll kind of surprised me. I think people from Cleveland tend to identify as Clevelanders first and Ohioans second. I think of Columbus as being quintessential Ohio and having more state pride. Sure Cleveland has more name recognition, but Columbus is more representative of the “average” of Ohio (politically, culturally, demographically, etc.)

Cincinnati is much the same. Most here see themselves as Cincinnatians more than Ohioans. I'm sure being located in a Tri-State area has something to do with that. We even jokingly refer to ourselves as the Republic of Cincinnati. It's a tongue-in-cheek way of referring to our somewhat insular nature. We also tend not to think much about Cleveland at all, and usually only enough about Columbus to complain about state government. I am a bit different in this regard as I was born in Columbus and spent a year in Cleveland in my early twenties. But I'd wager more Cincinnatians have visited Chicago or Nashville than have been to Cleveland. Funny how that works.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:49 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Here we go again.
Yeah, I saw this ... and just ignored it, which is what such a comment deserves. The poster is obviously starving for attention, and I'd rather not give it to him or her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City