Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with Florida?
Miami 64 72.73%
Orlando 19 21.59%
Tampa (including St. Pete and Clearwater) 2 2.27%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Fort Lauderdale 2 2.27%
Tallahassee 0 0%
Pensacola 1 1.14%
Other (specify) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 11:42 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times

Advertisements

I know Miami is hugely popular among Europeans and Latin Americans, but to Asians? Not so much.

I know because I am American, but my parents are from Hong Kong. Asians are probably going to visit Hawaii for beaches before they go to Miami. Sure, they've heard about Miami, but as far as knowing anything iconic about Miami beyond warm beaches, not so much. Art Deco architecture, South Beach, the Everglades, Little Havana? Pretty unknown in Asia. They don't even know about the vast Cuban and Central American population in SoFla.

On the other hand, Disneyworld...Everyone knows about Disneyworld, even in Asia. So Orlando it is for Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 11:45 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I know Miami is hugely popular among Europeans and Latin Americans, but to Asians? Not so much.

I know because I am American, but my parents are from Hong Kong. Asians are probably going to visit Hawaii for beaches before they go to Miami. Sure, they've heard about Miami, but as far as knowing anything iconic about Miami beyond warm beaches, not so much. Art Deco architecture, South Beach, the Everglades, Little Havana? Pretty unknown in Asia. They don't even know about the vast Cuban and Central American population in SoFla.

On the other hand, Disneyworld...Everyone knows about Disneyworld, even in Asia. So Orlando it is for Asians.

I truly do not understand the fascination with Disneyworld? It is not that great. Very crowded. Over priced. And just a tourist trap. Nothing authentic.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:48 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Miami.

When most people think of “Orlando,” they’re really in Lake Buena Vista down by Kissimmee... however. the other big resort is in Orlando proper to be fair

Old 10-20-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I truly do not understand the fascination with Disneyworld? It is not that great. Very crowded. Over priced. And just a tourist trap. Nothing authentic.
Sure, but the fascination with Vegas is even more baffling.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:58 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Quote:
Sure, but the fascination with Vegas is even more baffling.
I do not disagree. lol

Old 10-20-2020, 11:25 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Miami, but Orlando not far behind. For most of my life going to Florida, the only city I went to was Orlando. It wasn't until I was much older I went to Miami
I disagree. Miami is far ahead. Orlando only known for theme parks.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:40 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I disagree. Miami is far ahead. Orlando only known for theme parks.

I'm just saying what I think when I think of Florida. I never went to and thought much about Miami before my mid 20's. I had been to Orlando though several times by that age. Of course now I associate Miami with Florida, but that's why Orlando isn't far behind. Jacksonville, Tampa, and Fort Myers fairly well behind both of those cities. So for me personally, there isn't that big of a gap.

But aside from that, those theme parks bring in millions of people from arounds the country and world. If I"m not mistaken, Orlando brings in more tourists than Miami does.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:33 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:

True, Miami is really unfamiliar to most in Asia. Orlando is world-famous and very well-known in East Asia.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
True, Miami is really unfamiliar to most in Asia. Orlando is world-famous and very well-known in East Asia.
All because of the Rat. Otherwise, no one, not even Americans, really know about Orlando outside of the resorts.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:47 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
tourism is but one element of familiarity....how many people have heard of Rio de Janeiro but not actually visited there?

In terms of popular culture for the masses--such as motion pictures and TV--I'm having a hard time coming up with something memorable about Orlando, but not so with Miami (and one does not need to visit Miami to see a film to have heard of it).

As for Asia and Miami, there is some common cultural crossover--Miami is the only city besides Basel and Hong Kong to host Art Basel and the Ultra Music Festival attracts its share of youths in various cities around the globe, though Miami is the only US city to host this event which also attracts a number of Asians -clearly, event goers will see Miami listed as one of the host cities regardless of which country and/or continent show they are attending (and I've noticed a fair number of Asians in attendance at the Miami event in recent years)...Hong Kong based Swire has its USA offices based in Miami and has been developing properties in SoFla for 40+ years. Miami might not be the first or fourth choice for Asians, but it's not some remote village in Africa lacking name recognition (visited or otherwise)...as for West Asians, Miami is quite popular with Israelis and has direct, nonstops (or did pre Covid) to Tel Aviv, Dubai and Qatar.

Miami and Orlando are 1 and 2 in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I'm just saying what I think when I think of Florida. I never went to and thought much about Miami before my mid 20's. I had been to Orlando though several times by that age. Of course now I associate Miami with Florida, but that's why Orlando isn't far behind. Jacksonville, Tampa, and Fort Myers fairly well behind both of those cities. So for me personally, there isn't that big of a gap.

But aside from that, those theme parks bring in millions of people from arounds the country and world. If I"m not mistaken, Orlando brings in more tourists than Miami does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post

Last edited by elchevere; 10-21-2020 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City