Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for foodies
Washington D.C 52 56.52%
Atlanta 40 43.48%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 08:02 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
DC wins by a lot. Atlanta does not even have good options downtown.
But it does have some really strong food, especially on the east side. Pimento cheese and biscuit goes a longggg way in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 08:17 PM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Atlanta's food scene is too limited for my taste. Lots of corny "soul food" restaurants using pictures of fake grannies to sell their "authentic home style cookin'."

DC is better by far, more options.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:29 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Actually Soul Food is one of the things I do miss about Atlanta, I wouldn't call it corny by any means at all, its very southern cultural. Atlanta has good Mexican food (Norcross), Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, ect) along Buford highway and spread out through the rest of the metro, I do agree that places in Atlanta that you would think would have better restaurants (downtown) are kind of lagging but overall the metro is no slouch in food. Sun Dial atop Westin Hotel in Downtown was a spot I used to hit until they stopped rotating the restaurant due to the fatality they experienced there (tragic accident).

Places that are worthy of visiting though:

Pastabella (Italian)
Bambinellis (Italian)
Marietta Fish Market (Sea Food)
Cherokee Grille (American)
Smokejack BBQ
Cue BBQ
Hudson Grille
Eats

to name a few, there's many more I can't think of off the top of my head, I think the that the issue with Atlanta's restaurant scene is they are very spread out and there's oceans of chains in between which kind of masks its dining scene but it overall does offer alot in the food scene.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:48 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Actually Soul Food is one of the things I do miss about Atlanta, I wouldn't call it corny by any means at all, its very southern cultural.
Sorry, to clarify I meant that there are a lot of corny, fraudulent soul food places that act like they're independent or have a long history or all based on someone's grandmother's recipe, but in fact there's a big corporate machine behind it.

The ones that are actually authentic are a different story altogether.

I had one Japanese meal in Atlanta and it was... not great, but their Korean food was quite good if overpriced.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Sorry, to clarify I meant that there are a lot of corny, fraudulent soul food places that act like they're independent or have a long history or all based on someone's grandmother's recipe, but in fact there's a big corporate machine behind it.

I had one Japanese meal in Atlanta and it was... not great, but their Korean food was quite good if overpriced.
D.C probably wins with Japanese food. Though Atlanta does have some good sushi places. Yozu being my personal favorite. Korean is a different story. Atlanta's fast growing Korean population has really pushed it over the top. Thai is pretty close between the two.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:52 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
Soul food and Korean food = Atlanta wins easily. I'll also give Atlanta the advantage in Vietnamese, Japanese (numerous awesome Sushi, Ramen, and Izakaya spots), Thai, Indian, and Chinese food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post

Overpriced? Where did you eat Korean food here? There are also many cheap Bunsik (Kimbap/Tteokbooki/etc) type places that are cheap. In the Namdaemun Market food court you can get a roll of kimbap for $1: https://www.ndmmarket.com/duluth-food-court

Old 10-22-2020, 12:02 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Atlanta for me.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:57 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Actually Soul Food is one of the things I do miss about Atlanta, I wouldn't call it corny by any means at all, its very southern cultural. Atlanta has good Mexican food (Norcross), Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, ect) along Buford highway and spread out through the rest of the metro, I do agree that places in Atlanta that you would think would have better restaurants (downtown) are kind of lagging but overall the metro is no slouch in food. Sun Dial atop Westin Hotel in Downtown was a spot I used to hit until they stopped rotating the restaurant due to the fatality they experienced there (tragic accident).

Places that are worthy of visiting though:

Pastabella (Italian)
Bambinellis (Italian)
Marietta Fish Market (Sea Food)
Cherokee Grille (American)
Smokejack BBQ
Cue BBQ
Hudson Grille
Eats

to name a few, there's many more I can't think of off the top of my head, I think the that the issue with Atlanta's restaurant scene is they are very spread out and there's oceans of chains in between which kind of masks its dining scene but it overall does offer alot in the food scene.
HUH? I don't think I ever had a good Mexican restaurant in Atlanta. Maybe I should hit up Norcross next time I'm in town. I was actually shocked on how bad Mexican food joints were in Atlanta. I never knew you could have so many bad to mediocre ones coming from Texas. And I stayed not to far from Buford Hwy at that.

As far as the topic. I was only in D.C. for a week and it seem like every place we went to had great food. The way people talk about the food scene in D.C. I guess I just got really lucky my stay.

Atlanta to me as far as a foodie scene go is a bit underwhelming for it's size. Don't get me wrong, I've had some great food when I lived there. It's just way too many mediocre to bland restaurants till you get to some of the really good places.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:06 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
HUH? I don't think I ever had a good Mexican restaurant in Atlanta. Maybe I should hit up Norcross next time I'm in town. I was actually shocked on how bad Mexican food joints were in Atlanta. I never knew you could have so many bad to mediocre ones coming from Texas. And I stayed not to far from Buford Hwy at that.

As far as the topic. I was only in D.C. for a week and it seem like every place we went to had great food. The way people talk about the food scene in D.C. I guess I just got really lucky my stay.

Atlanta to me as far as a foodie scene go is a bit underwhelming for it's size. Don't get me wrong, I've had some great food when I lived there. It's just way too many mediocre to bland restaurants till you get to some of the really good places.
Well admittedly it may just be exclusive to Austin as I haven’t tried SATX, HOU, or DFW for Mexican yet but I personally preferred the Norcross Mexican food to what we call TexMex. I was kind of disappointed in our Mexican food. Love our brisket though.

If you go to Norcross / Lilburn area there are some good independent restaurants. Try Agavero Cantina in Lilburn off Lawrenceville Hwy and Beaver Ruin Rd.

Oh shoot I forgot there is one in Houston metro out there in Conroe I do love visiting, I think it’s called 7 Leagues Mexican Restaurant.

But yea overall ATL’s Mexican scene isn’t bad.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:19 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City