Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for foodies
Washington D.C 52 56.52%
Atlanta 40 43.48%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 01:19 PM

61 posts, read 50,903 times

Advertisements

So a while ago I made a thread for D.C vs Philly for foodies. I was mildly surprised that Philly ran away with that poll. I figured I'd compare D.C to a different city. I know D.C and Atlanta have been compared a lot in various areas. However I've never seen them compared for "which has the better food scene". I'm genuinely curious. I know both have come a long way in the past decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 02:45 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,178,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Washington View Post
So a while ago I made a thread for D.C vs Philly for foodies. I was mildly surprised that Philly ran away with that poll. I figured I'd compare D.C to a different city. I know D.C and Atlanta have been compared a lot in various areas. However I've never seen them compared for "which has the better food scene". I'm genuinely curious. I know both have come a long way in the past decade.

ATL - Can't beat their soul food spots.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:59 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,352,155 times
Metro DC is 332.2 restaurants per 100,000 people. #1 in the country. The demographics are middle/upper middle class that fund a strong restaurant scene. Years ago, it used to be a steakhouse town but it's now all about diversity and the multicultural population. You can find good examples of pretty much any cuisine and you're not paying New York prices for it. As a foodie, I would think that's the metric you want to use.

My Atlanta life experience is in the city around the convention center which is kind of a foodie wasteland and in the affluent tech area north of the city. I've never found the level of diverse cuisine that is all over metro DC.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:10 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,549,438 times
Very familiar with both metros and love both dearly. Taking in consideration the BALANCE of the number of non-chain restaurants, different price levels, uniqueness, great tasting food, and across the board variety, I've got to go with Atlanta. Both do well, but Atlanta offers the best balance of everything I'm looking for in this comparison.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:55 PM

23,620 posts, read 24,164,156 times
I’ve had better meals in Atlanta, than in the DC area.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:03 PM

724 posts, read 405,971 times
These are 2 African American cities, so they both have good Soul Food, but ATL probably does it better.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:14 PM

154 posts, read 102,799 times
I think Atlanta has the edge here thanks to soul food, but DC isn't a slouch in this comparison, on the sheer numbers of diverse offerings.

DC really needs some kind of "specialty" in cuisine to make a name for itself in the foodie world.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 PM

21,750 posts, read 12,900,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Metro DC is 332.2 restaurants per 100,000 people. #1 in the country. The demographics are middle/upper middle class that fund a strong restaurant scene. Years ago, it used to be a steakhouse town but it's now all about diversity and the multicultural population. You can find good examples of pretty much any cuisine and you're not paying New York prices for it. As a foodie, I would think that's the metric you want to use.

My Atlanta life experience is in the city around the convention center which is kind of a foodie wasteland and in the affluent tech area north of the city. I've never found the level of diverse cuisine that is all over metro DC.
I don’t know about this part. It’s pretty damn expensive.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:55 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,945,183 times
I got DC in this one.

ATL punches up based on the size of the city. I feel the same way about Charleston and New Orleans, which to me, host an even better and more distinguishable culinary scene than Atlanta.

DC just has more, and more variety. Feel like eating some good Filipino/Manila Lechon? Hit Bad Saint. Feeling good Persian? Library. Awesome Ethipoian? Chercher. Jewish Deli? GW. Examples of almost any cuisine spread across the city, often done pretty well too.

DC is an International and Domestic cultural melting pot, Atlanta is not quite that.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:57 PM

9,704 posts, read 9,452,501 times
DC wins by a lot. Atlanta does not even have good options downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City