Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for foodies
Washington D.C 52 56.52%
Atlanta 40 43.48%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 01:00 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times

Advertisements

I think food preferences in general are about as personal taste based as we can get. I don’t know that there is any reasonable way this can be measured unless we were talking about a metro that clearly offers more than another by a substantial margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 05:57 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
I would say DC has this. It has a more densely populated urban core. While density per say doesn't make a place better for foddies, it does create more options in a given land area. That tends to encourage more variety and interesting tastes.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:41 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I would say DC has this. It has a more densely populated urban core. While density per say doesn't make a place better for foddies, it does create more options in a given land area. That tends to encourage more variety and interesting tastes.
DC doesn't have this at all, Atlanta holds its own in this category.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:40 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
DC is one of 4 cities in the USA to have its own Michelin guide... for whatever thats worth

Old 11-05-2020, 11:23 AM

195 posts, read 195,235 times
Quote:
More density doesn't necessarily mean that. Atlanta has lots of variety for food in Buckhead and some of its suburbs.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:52 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I voted DC.

DC metro has more Koreans than Atlanta.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/char...an-population/

DC has a much stronger international flair in terms of variety.

I am not big into 'soul food'. I do not dislike it. But I do not seek it out as a dinning option.

My only issue with DC dinning is that it is either chains or typically expensive and a bit over the top. They have limited 'in the middle' options to take advantage of eating out several times a week.
Atlanta certainly isn't just about soul food anymore. D.C was once a steakhouse town. Atlanta definitely has a growing scene for Asian cuisine. Property on par with D.C

Old 11-10-2020, 11:57 AM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I voted DC.

DC metro has more Koreans than Atlanta.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/char...an-population/

DC has a much stronger international flair in terms of variety.

I am not big into 'soul food'. I do not dislike it. But I do not seek it out as a dinning option.

My only issue with DC dinning is that it is either chains or typically expensive and a bit over the top. They have limited 'in the middle' options to take advantage of eating out several times a week.
It might say more but all the Atlanta figures from Koreans pegs it more around 120,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUqK6-hpmYs

This video is from a Korean realtor on why "so many Koreans are thinking about moving to Georgia." At 5:00, she says that 250,000 Koreans (born in Korea) not Korean-Americans live in the area nearby. In the video, she says great Koreatown, Korean amenities, and many Korean companies.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:07 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,046,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Lived in Atlanta for 8 years, DC for 6.

To me, Atlanta is better for domestic food, DC is better for international dining.

Atlanta has better Mexican food (ATL is no California or Texas in this department, but DC’s Mexican food is horrible), better BBQ, better Brazilian (Not talking about the flashy Fogo De Chao’s of the world, there’s a lot more Brazilian restaurants in the suburbs that cater to their communities than in DC) better soul food - although I was never that impressed with a lot of soul food/southern food restaurants there because I’m from Mississippi, and I’d inadvertently compare the offerings to how my grandmas/aunts and them cooked. Atlanta has better Cajun/Creole food than DC.

DC has better seafood, better Chinese, better Japanese, better Salvadoran, Ethiopian (although Atlanta is no slouch on that), better Continental type of dining, better Steakhouses, etc.

Also, DC’s downtown/urban dining scene is a lot more robust than Atlanta’s. Lots of folks don’t realize that Downtown ATL isn’t where the people go for a night out on the town like more traditional cities. The dining scene is in Midtown, Buckhead, and I know this horrifies the urban purists on C-D, but a lot of suburban strip malls and suburban areas have lots of great restaurants.

Atlanta has better Caribbean offerings. As for Korean, I would’ve said DC even as recently as 10 years ago, BUT Atlanta (well, Duluth) has caught up with it quite a bit, and they’re about even for now. I’d say they’re about even with Vietnamese, Thai, and

I will say I’ve had lots of mediocre meals in both cities, but I’ve had better meals with larger portions in Atlanta over the years. Quite a few of the DC restaurants people rave about always seem to be quite generic and have bland food that reflect the transient nature of the population here. Atlanta has its share, but seems to be a lot less pronounced in comparison to what I’ve had here in the DMV.
Great comment, I agree with all of this. Overall I give the edge to Atlanta by a little - both have lots of good food and some great food but I think Atlanta is a little better rounded. DC's best food tends to be expensive and a lot of it is indeed generic and bland.

I do think DC is better for international cuisines, but not by much. The gap between domestic style cuisines is wider between the two with Atlanta being the winner there.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:18 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Great comment, I agree with all of this. Overall I give the edge to Atlanta by a little - both have lots of good food and some great food but I think Atlanta is a little better rounded. DC's best food tends to be expensive and a lot of it is indeed generic and bland.

I do think DC is better for international cuisines, but not by much. The gap between domestic style cuisines is wider between the two with Atlanta being the winner there.
The seafood is better in the DC area too because of the Chesapeake Bay =) It's not as famous as BMore but there is definitely a seafood culture with open seafood markets etc.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:16 PM

40 posts, read 35,227 times
Interesting that this poll is currently tied. I grew up in Atlanta and just visited D.C. recently. D.C. seems to have many more options—or at the least, high end options—unless Atlanta has really made strides in the last eight years since I lived there.

Curious what actual chefs would choose between the two. I know the common perception of "food cities" does not always match what those in the culinary industry think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City