Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 11:39 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Asian immigrants are a poor representation of Asian people as a whole. I've heard plenty of Asians in Asia think the capital of the US is NYC or even "California." Or ask people from Toronto which part of the US that's in.

You know all those Americans who think Singapore is a city in China? Or can't tell the difference between North and South Korea? Or couldn't find Asia on a map? Those types of people exist in Asia (and frankly all over the world) as well.
I don't know of any Asians that ignorant nor stupid who have no understanding of the most powerful political capital of the most powerful country on Earth. It's amazing to hear you all spew this, as if only Americans know about America. I have been to other countries and heard people recite things about the US to me that the average person in Minnesota would have no clue of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 02:35 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I don't know of any Asians that ignorant nor stupid who have no understanding of the most powerful political capital of the most powerful country on Earth. It's amazing to hear you all spew this, as if only Americans know about America. I have been to other countries and heard people recite things about the US to me that the average person in Minnesota would have no clue of.
I'm Asian from Asia, living in Asia.. trust me, just like how there are a ton of Americans who couldn't tell you the capital of Korea or China, there are plenty of people in Asia who don't know much about the US. Particularly if you talk to people who don't speak English.

You're right, though, there are often people (usually the ones who speak English) who do know some really surprising things about the US.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:47 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
To what extent does Hollywood still dominate the film industry? Seems tv shows and movies are filmed everywhere these days?
They've been filmed in other places for many years now, but they are birthed in Los Angeles.

The industry is based there along with the majority of the studios, producers, directors, agents, too tier actors, and nearly all of the power players that green light most of the projects that hit the screen, from start to finish., no matter where it's being shot.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:01 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
They've been filmed in other places for many years now, but they are birthed in Los Angeles.

The industry is based there along with the majority of the studios, producers, directors, agents, too tier actors, and nearly all of the power players that green light most of the projects that hit the screen, from start to finish., no matter where it's being shot.
So true. And in quite a few countries, any American celebrity is called a "Hollywood star" or "Hollywood celeb." The brand name is very much alive.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:54 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Some DC people seem to be deciphering posts through extreme lenses here...

I don't know if others said something different, but what I said...

1. New York is the only true answer to this thread and is the most well-known American city by a lot.

2. DC IS well known, but not on the level of New York. DC is not the first city that comes to a lot of foreigners when they think of the US. I posted an example myself below.

3. I have met some people abroad who didn't know what the capital of the US was.

It seems DC people are taking such comments as "DC is irrelevant" or "DC is not well-known". I didn't say that at all. Its one of the most well-known American cities. So how is DC being downplayed?

I think Americans on this forum, think other parts of the world watch us closely, when in reality, they don't.

Heck the 13 people I posed this question to in Switzerland said yes, we know of DC, but most people just think of New York and LA...simple as that. Why are people so wound up from that?

Last edited by cpomp; 10-29-2020 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-29-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I'm not responding to that poster, because I know it won't go anywhere, but a city is more historic if it's older. Pretty simple concept really.

Honestly. Next you Philly-boosters will be arguing that your city is more historic than London.
Really age is the only measurement of how historic a place is? And 50 years difference? So would that make Santa Fe more historic than Boston and Philadelphia?

Come on man... These arguments are tired. Both cities are EXTREMELY historic, not one over the other. Give it a rest with the ridiculous write-off comments about cities that aren't your favorite. The Philadelphia region is among the most pivotal in all of American history (along with Boston).

And you call out Philadelphia boosters but you not a Boston booster right?

Old 10-29-2020, 08:14 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
NYC. You have renditions of the statue of liberty in Odaiba in Tokyo and from what I hear, somewhere in China in the Pearl River Delta. I don't think any other city has that much far reaching influence. I've also found most American things overseas to be NYC.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:24 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Some DC people seem to be deciphering posts through extreme lenses here...

I don't know if others said something different, but what I said...

1. New York is the only true answer to this thread and is the most well-known American city by a lot.

2. DC IS well known, but not on the level of New York. DC is not the first city that comes to a lot of foreigners when they think of the US. I posted an example myself below.

3. I have met some people abroad who didn't know what the capital of the US was.

It seems DC people are taking such comments as "DC is irrelevant" or "DC is not well-known". I didn't say that at all. Its one of the most well-known American cities. So how is DC being downplayed?

I think Americans on this forum, think other parts of the world watch us closely, when in reality, they don't.

Heck the 13 people I posed this question to in Switzerland said yes, we know of DC, but most people just think of New York and LA...simple as that. Why are people so wound up from that?
I agree with you.
NY is by far the most though of US city
There are a ton of foreigners who think NY is the Capital.
What the argument is though it's just because some idiots think NY is the Capital then DC should not be on the list because some people don't know is the Capital.
I think your list would be perfect if you world include:

Although there are significant numbers who confuse NY to be the Capital, there are significant numbers who do not make that error and so DC is still one of the Best known US cities, even though what it is best known for may be shared with NY.

To simply say not everyone knows DC is the capital leaves the thread open to derailment because you are leaving open the door to posters so think that DC as the capital is well known. And they are right.
DC needs to be in that top 5 discussion. Maybe top 3. But there's no question that NY is first of that some think it's the Capital. But enough know that DC is the Capital to warrant DC being up there.

After the top 3, posters on here are definitely underestimating Miami and ATL. No way I would put SF ahead of those 2 in current pop culture presence. Although with all things considered I would through them all in a tier which would also include Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I agree with you.
NY is by far the most though of US city
There are a ton of foreigners who think NY is the Capital.
What the argument is though it's just because some idiots think NY is the Capital then DC should not be on the list because some people don't know is the Capital.
I think your list would be perfect if you world include:

Although there are significant numbers who confuse NY to be the Capital, there are significant numbers who do not make that error and so DC is still one of the Best known US cities, even though what it is best known for may be shared with NY.

To simply say not everyone knows DC is the capital leaves the thread open to derailment because you are leaving open the door to posters so think that DC as the capital is well known. And they are right.
DC needs to be in that top 5 discussion. Maybe top 3. But there's no question that NY is first of that some think it's the Capital. But enough know that DC is the Capital to warrant DC being up there.

After the top 3, posters on here are definitely underestimating Miami and ATL. No way I would put SF ahead of those 2 in current pop culture presence. Although with all things considered I would through them all in a tier which would also include Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston.
Fair post.

I agree DC is in the top 5 discussion, possibly #3. But DC doesn't have the same impact as other capitals on their respective countries. Paris to France or London to the UK. The obvious initial thought for the most associated city and most well-known city in the US is New York, which is the answer to this thread. (Again, not saying DC isn't well known or highly associated, I would rank it #3-4 in the country).

In summary, the gap between New York and every other city (even LA) is huge. Then after LA another huge gap before DC (or Chicago).

Then when you get into the San Fran, Boston, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta, etc. it gets so blurry and the conversation just goes in circles.

Last edited by cpomp; 10-29-2020 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-29-2020, 09:53 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Like it or not yes, DC is known worldwide as the Capital of the US and its name is plastered on every international TV. News feeds often refer to the US as Washington DC, as in “Beijing and Washington are fighting a new Cold War”. Many posters here that disagree with it are playing with ya don’t take it seriously.
Yep. Watch any Asian news channel. DC is mentioned numerous times a day. And Idk of any old Asians who don't watch the Asian news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Asian immigrants are a poor representation of Asian people as a whole. I've heard plenty of Asians in Asia think the capital of the US is NYC or even "California." Or ask people from Toronto which part of the US that's in.

You know all those Americans who think Singapore is a city in China? Or can't tell the difference between North and South Korea? Or couldn't find Asia on a map? Those types of people exist in Asia (and frankly all over the world) as well.
Yea again, I think personal experience is anecdotal. Almost every FOB I've encountered recognizes Washington DC as the capital, NYC as the big city and California as Hollywood with great weather and scenic beauty. Every other city, including Boston, Chicago, and Philly sort of just run together. They wouldn't be able to tell you anything about those cities. Now, they do know cities like SF and Vancouver though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City