Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 09:57 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
Most foreigners don't care about U.S. politics, just as Americans don't care about other countries' politics. Like it or not, not everybody in the world knows that DC is the capital of the U.S. Continuing to repeat it does not make it true.

Also, I'm pretty sure in your quote, "America" is America (not "Washington") and "China" is China (not "Beijing").
What do you think foreigners know about Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
We simply have two different personal experiences, as I have spoken to/heard the opposite from people abroad.

This is just off the streets I'm talking about, not even getting into news media, and coverage where "Washington" or "DC" or "Capitol Hill" is a daily talking point.
Or the Pentagon

Old 10-29-2020, 10:59 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Some DC people seem to be deciphering posts through extreme lenses here...

I don't know if others said something different, but what I said...

1. New York is the only true answer to this thread and is the most well-known American city by a lot.

2. DC IS well known, but not on the level of New York. DC is not the first city that comes to a lot of foreigners when they think of the US. I posted an example myself below.

3. I have met some people abroad who didn't know what the capital of the US was.

It seems DC people are taking such comments as "DC is irrelevant" or "DC is not well-known". I didn't say that at all. Its one of the most well-known American cities. So how is DC being downplayed?

I think Americans on this forum, think other parts of the world watch us closely, when in reality, they don't.

Heck the 13 people I posed this question to in Switzerland said yes, we know of DC, but most people just think of New York and LA...simple as that. Why are people so wound up from that?
Some people aren’t easily capable of seeing things from another perspective. They’re so sure that everyone shares their perspective that the only reason they can fathom is that disagreeing is done to intentionally wind up others.

I agree that people that follow politics absolutely have to know that DC is the capital of the US, but it may not be the first or even second city that they think of. Beijing isn’t the first city that I think of for China. I also know that there are tons of people that have little to no interest in politics and for such people outside the US, DC may not even be on their radar. Think of how many people in the US wouldn’t know that Beijing is the capital of China. Or that Ottawa is the capital of Canada? Yeah, DC is on another level but if you live outside the US and don’t follow politics, when would it ever come up?

Old 10-29-2020, 11:20 AM

153 posts, read 101,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What do you think foreigners know about Chicago?
So my argument must be right because now you're bringing up Chicago, which we aren't even talking about.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:27 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Some people aren’t easily capable of seeing things from another perspective. They’re so sure that everyone shares their perspective that the only reason they can fathom is that disagreeing is done to intentionally wind up others.

I agree that people that follow politics absolutely have to know that DC is the capital of the US, but it may not be the first or even second city that they think of. Beijing isn’t the first city that I think of for China. I also know that there are tons of people that have little to no interest in politics and for such people outside the US, DC may not even be on their radar. Think of how many people in the US wouldn’t know that Beijing is the capital of China. Or that Ottawa is the capital of Canada? Yeah, DC is on another level but if you live outside the US and don’t follow politics, when would it ever come up?
Exactly this.
People bringing up "News," well most people abroad aren't watching US news, so unless they watch BBC or something of the like, it's unlikely that they hear much about the US beyond entertainment.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
So my argument must be right because now you're bringing up Chicago, which we aren't even talking about.
Well no, you have Chicago in your user name so I assumed you were arguing for Chicago over DC.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:57 AM

153 posts, read 101,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Well no, you have Chicago in your user name so I assumed you were arguing for Chicago over DC.
Nah it's just my username. But I will say Chi and DC are likely on the same level in terms of int'l recognition. I do think most people abroad have heard of these cities and can tell you maybe one or two things about them, but I don't think either come anywhere near as recognizable as LA/NYC. People abroad may associate Trump and the White House with DC and Michael Jordan and crime with Chicago, but outside of that probably not much else.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:58 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Why are people discussing DC being more associated with the US than NYC? Who's made that assertion? NYC is 1st on everyone's list. It's like people replying back to one another stating the obvious in this ongoing thread. The next two most associated would be LA and Washington DC. I don't see the misunderstanding when the thread is asking for 3 cities. NYC/DC/LA are the three foremost associated with the United States and those three have the most votes in the poll. But I agree that Chicago is in the conversation.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Is this thread really about if Chicago should actually be over DC? I don't think so. Being multiple choice. It is reasonable that Chicago would be among the choice for many. Without Vegas or Orlando/Disney World. It is reasonable that the top cities have fallen in line as they should? The surprise is SF not higher though to me.

Again, multiple choice is key to not being NYC by a landslide even more, though LA I also expected a bit closer to NYC numbers. Still order is probably about right for the top 4.

On what some in the world might know of or reason to know Chicago? I would say ;
- its legacy
- Blues and even Jazz associated with it that the play and movie "Chicago" gave added notoriety to it more recently.
- Al Capone era. It is amazing how that era is still linked to Chicago and Miafia etc. Even though the Godfather was not about Chicago. Al Capone still has notoriety to this day and he was a New Yorker.
- route 66 begins there to LA. Movies etc has the Golden 50s era still sought by travelers to the US. Last couple times I stayed in Chicago and chose hostels as a haven to meet travelers from the world and especially young people. Met some Europeans who sought Chicago also for the route 66 start of a cross country drive to LA. While in Chicago of course they knew some things and desired to see. I tagged along with a couple one evening to a Blues Club .... because of Chicago notoriety in Blues.
- was the second largest US city for a lot of our history and taught in schools for largest US Cities around the world.for a long time and third yet,
- plus notoriety for its skyline
- having tallest building in the world for 25 yrs. Has still renown for many in noting cities of the USA.

I don't think this thread was meant to be any contest of which city is better or of higher overall renown then the other, nor about tourism levels even. Just in general still recognized in the world for the US of A. Maybe you are surprised SF is not over Chicago in this poll? I also noted that schools internationally if they touch on the US and its history. Still would have NYC, LA and CHI mentioned as largest cities of the US. DC then for being our Nation's Capital of course. SF again I think has a lot of chatter too.

Why NYC is generally left out of polls one feels it is a shoe-in to run-away with the polls.
Chicago is in my top 5. Just don't get the hate for DC.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:44 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
So this thread has turned into yet another "which city is more well-known" thread, as opposed to what it actually asks for. To my understanding, the question in the OP and thread title has an entirely different meaning. Kind of like the thread that asked the same about Canada -- No, Montreal is not less-known than Vancouver at all. But when it comes to associating it with Canada, we're asking a completely different question.

When it comes to the U.S., around the world, people will immediately associate a mention of USA with NYC/Manhattan/Statue of Liberty, and Capitol Hill. Overwhelmingly so.
Of course, if you mention SF, Chicago, Miami, plenty of people will obviously know what those cities are. But they are not what comes to mind when one mentions USA. One thinks NYC, and for good or bad, the US government and its shenanigans/wars/strength and global outreach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City