Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 12:13 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
That is our American never gone to Europe or Asia syndrome. Even I heard of some. But the Pictures alone tell me... they look awesome in the link.

Sadly, 5th Ave NYC and N Michigan Ave Chicago did not make the list. Does not make them bad. None in DC or Charlotte did either aye.

I'd love to visit all them world shopping destinations just as a tourist and not to shop. Shows there is a world out there then just our Great Country as if alone.....
Maybe you have to be older to know Rodeo Dr? No one says it is the Washington Mall mind you. It is just all stores.

I remember the name of San Francisco's main shopping high-end flagships street area as Union Square. I would expect less know that one then Rodeo Drive though. I have no idea what DC's shopping street or region is. Just LA's (Beverly Hills technically), SF's, NYC's, Chicago's and Philly's plus the high-end mall just outside of Philly called KOP.
You realize that most of the world aren't the elite that would dream about shopping about at Rodeo Dr? Ask an average person in Mongolia or Uzbekistan and I'm sure they're more aware of the US president which might make decisions that could impact foreign matters and Washington then they are about the luxurious shopping excursions of any of the famous destinations.

Last edited by Ebck120; 11-01-2020 at 12:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 04:28 AM

955 posts, read 610,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Thanks for that clarification about how foreign news references US politics. If people in other countries use "Washington" as synonymous with "USA", then there you go. At least for some number of people.
I guess Portuguese does, but the two foreign languages I speak fluently don't reference a country's government by its capital ("London" meaning the UK gov't, etc.). Just FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Really??? Come on man... They might know the name (probably not Rodeo Drive though) but I doubt they know where these places are. "Somewhere in the US" or maybe "California," but I highly doubt "everyone in a 1st world country overseas" knows much of anything about these places.
I've seen references to all of those places overseas before. Plenty of brands use Malibu or Rodeo Drive. Seoul, South Korea has its own "Apgujeong Rodeo" subway station/neighborhood named after Rodeo Drive. I've seen "The Beverly Hills of <city>" used in overseas real estate adverts as well, this is often done in China (along with Manhattan references). There are numerous bars and restaurants in Tokyo called Beverly Hills and Malibu. And there's a condo complex in Singapore call Beverly Hill which is quite famous. These are just commonly-heard places you'll hear if you live overseas, at least in 1st world nations (or China).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I also don’t think any rust belt is nearly as blue as VA.
Illinois says hi.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:03 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
As a kid growing up the only streets I works hear constantly are
5th Avenue
Wall Street
Broadway
Dowling st (London)
Champs-Élysées
Pennsylvania Ave
Bourbon

And to a lesser extent Michigan Avenue.
The few times I have heard Rodeo drive in the last 20 years has been on city data.

But make no mistake, Hollywood and Beverly Hills are universally known.
And to those who say they don't think the TV show Beverly Hillbillies are known internationally nowadays, that thing is still a very popular show internationally. That and Gilligan's island abs and I dream of Jeanie

Old 11-02-2020, 07:32 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
That is our American never gone to Europe or Asia syndrome. Even I heard of some. But the Pictures alone tell me... they look awesome in the link.

Sadly, 5th Ave NYC and N Michigan Ave Chicago did not make the list. Does not make them bad. None in DC or Charlotte did either aye.

I'd love to visit all them world shopping destinations just as a tourist and not to shop. Shows there is a world out there then just our Great Country as if alone.....
Maybe you have to be older to know Rodeo Dr? No one says it is the Washington Mall mind you. It is just all stores.

I remember the name of San Francisco's main shopping high-end flagships street area as Union Square. I would expect less know that one then Rodeo Drive though. I have no idea what DC's shopping street or region is. Just LA's (Beverly Hills technically), SF's, NYC's, Chicago's and Philly's plus the high-end mall just outside of Philly called KOP.
I didn't know of Union Square in SF until I joined C-D... I confused it with Union Square subway stop in lower Manhattan.

You've never heard of Georgetown? Penn Quarter? There's high end indoor malls in the suburbs of every major metropolis. That's not what makes the city's shopping famous though.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...merica-2017-11

Old 11-04-2020, 06:16 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
No one cares about shopping districts anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City