Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 04:04 PM

330 posts, read 293,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
NYC, LA & DC by a country mile. They are the poster children of what America to the world culturally represents. Money. Fame. Politics.

/thread
I would also squeeze in SF for the fourth and Boston for the fifth

NYC=Money
LA=Fame
DC=Politics
SF=Innovation
Boston=Education
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 04:09 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
This is highly subjective.

Is this based on asking a foreigner which city they associate with the US?
Asking an American which city they associate with the US?
Are we walking economics, industry, etc. or just the all American encompassing way?

I am viewing this very high level (Family Feud style), like if you were to ask a person on the street (anywhere in the world)...

New York is the most obvious #1 answer across the board (no debate there).

Then LA, but I personally think LA is more associated with California than the United States as a whole.

I think Chicago is the most representative big American city, and would likely get more answers than many might think. (I would peg #4 just behind DC).

Runners up are San Francisco, Miami, Vegas, Boston and Philadelphia for obvious historical reasons.

People mentioning education, finance, etc. if we are peeling layers off then sure, certain cities shine, but I think its better to view this thread from a high level since most people either don't care or don't know about city specific industries unless they are into stats (like myself and many on here).

*I actually asked my friend this question just now, shes an architect living in Switerland and will poll some of her friends tonight, I will post her reply when I get it.

Last edited by cpomp; 10-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: edited thoughts

Old 10-23-2020, 04:16 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
The three are, as has been said, NYC (global city of money and power), LA (movies and entertainment), and DC (the political capital). If you included two more cities for a top five, I'd add Miami (entertainment) and Dallas (everybody knows about Texas, I think, and this is probably the most stereotypical Texas place that foreigners would know).

Old 10-23-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The three are, as has been said, NYC (global city of money and power), LA (movies and entertainment), and DC (the political capital). If you included two more cities for a top five, I'd add Miami (entertainment) and Dallas (everybody knows about Texas, I think, and this is probably the most stereotypical Texas place that foreigners would know).
Eh, I don't know about Dallas.

if we did an international Family Feud style question polling 100 people "which city is most associated with the United States?"

I would bet a lot of money that there would be zero (maybe 1) people saying Dallas. I bet Texas would mistakenly get votes since that is well known and associated with America nationally and internationally.

If we did that same poll among American citizens, I could see Dallas getting a few votes.

But you are also leaving out Chicago which I guarantee would get more votes nationally and internationally than Dallas or any city in Texas. Miami again is a wild card.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:29 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times
So this is basically a name recognition thread at this point, I'm assuming both Miami and Las Vegas have more name recognition than Chicago.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:42 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
NYC with the only competitor being DC.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:42 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
NYC>LA>>DC>SF>Chicago>the rest

Old 10-23-2020, 04:43 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
So this is basically a name recognition thread at this point, I'm assuming both Miami and Las Vegas have more name recognition than Chicago.
No it’s not just name recognition. Miami could be is tied in with Latin America seemingly as muchas it is USA. Chicago is more of a true American city.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:07 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No it’s not just name recognition. Miami could be is tied in with Latin America seemingly as muchas it is USA. Chicago is more of a true American city.
That’s a pretty loaded statement whatever that means. Is Chicago where real Americans live?

Old 10-23-2020, 05:11 PM

Per my friend who polled 5 of her friends that she's with right now (up late yes).

When asked "which city do you most associate with America?"

1. New York
2. LA
3. DC
4. Miami
5. Chicago

They are discussed other cities - San Fran, Boston, Philly, but from their experience the list drops off quickly after that top 5.

(and none had San Fran in their obvious top picks).

And this is again asking in a quick poll format, seems pretty consistent with what most people say on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City