Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 04:29 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
Chicago has a rich blue collar culture that the other top 5 cities (NYC/LA/DC/SF) lack. It's also just not as international as some of the other cities, so yeah, it does fit the script of a "true American city". Being in the Midwest also gives it some level of a "humble" reputation, and residents tend to be friendlier than in coastal cities, on average.

Not to mention the city's history in general, is a good barometer for the nation's history too (past the 1800's). It started out from nothing, and became the world's biggest boom city, massively in industry. Then many of those blue collar/industrial jobs left in the 50's-80's, being the perfect example of a city going from boom to gritty. I think to this day, Chicago is the best city that measures how well America is doing. And its history is unquestionably the best example of an industrial, major American city there is.

I think a lot of people commenting here are confused on the question. This thread is not about "which cities are most well known abroad". It's "which city is most associated with the U.S.". I think the true, and only real answer is NYC, but Chicago, Boston, and Philly are probably behind that. I could see an argument for DC too, but for different reasons. I don't associate LA, Miami, or SF with red white and blue. I just don't, and again it puzzles me why so many are saying otherwise.
I think Chicago and Dallas easily are "more associated with the USA" than a lot of these cities being mentioned in front of them. They represent big essential mega metro/cities in America's heartland. An argument could be made for both as top 5 most associated with the country.

I saw a comment about Disney/Orlando which could make sense except for the fact that there are two Disney's in America and couple more on other continents around the globe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 08:00 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
If we're talking about the view from non-Americans, DC is not nearly as well-represented as NYC or LA internationally. It's definitely not the city that pop into people's heads when they hear "America."
Most associated, yes. City people think of first when they hear America, no. That goes to New York or LA.

Pretty much sums up the thread.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:55 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
NYC and DC.

The terrorists told us which cities had the highest value targets and were most associated with the US and around the globe on 9-11 from their remote, non alpha caves.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-24-2020 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-24-2020, 10:14 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Seriously, that some of these cities got votes, screams "homer." I won't name them, as we all would think the same, I'm sure. I don't think DC is thought of, as a city so I would choose NYC, LA, and Chicago.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:21 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
NYC and DC.

The terrorists told us which cities had the highest value targets and were most associated with the US and around the globe on 9-11 from their remote, non alpha caves.
True, but I imagine that people with a primarily political agenda would associate DC with the US, but I don't think that's the majority of people around the world and certainly not to that level. If it were all about politics, the three most famous cities in the world would be DC, Beijing, and Moscow.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:41 AM

913 posts, read 560,292 times
There are really only 5 choices that merit consideration in the last 100 years: NY, LA, CHI, DC and perhaps SFO. (SFO once would have been more of a contender.)

Of those, I would say Chicago is the template for what people think of as quintessentially American metropolises (to borrow from Henry James, the generic "American City") - the transportation-based boom-town with a grid that spreads upward and outward, forever.

That said, in terms of world association with the USA, New York has been that for at least 200 years and remains so.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:04 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
There are really only 5 choices that merit consideration in the last 100 years: NY, LA, CHI, DC and perhaps SFO. (SFO once would have been more of a contender.)

Of those, I would say Chicago is the template for what people think of as quintessentially American metropolises (to borrow from Henry James, the generic "American City") - the transportation-based boom-town with a grid that spreads upward and outward, forever.

That said, in terms of world association with the USA, New York has been that for at least 200 years and remains so.
Not true.

In the first part of the 1900s, NYC, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit and Philadelphia were the big 5. I think people forget that in the first two or three centuries of the 20th century St. Louis was the host of the World Fair and was world renown. I'd wager it was the third most known US City in Pop culture in the 1900s and 1910s.

Throughout the middle of the century we dropped St. Louis and Detroit and replaced them with LA, SF and Maybe DC.

At the rate of construction, growth, and growing importance SF and Boston both could be top 5 contenders in 10-15 years with NYC, LA and DC. Both SF and Boston outpaced every other city this year in tenant growth, construction starts and lab construction. (Ever so important in COVID world). You have that stuff at least 20-30 years to settle, but especially SF, deserves top 5 right now. SF could be top 3.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Not true.

In the first part of the 1900s, NYC, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit and Philadelphia were the big 5. I think people forget that in the first two or three centuries of the 20th century St. Louis was the host of the World Fair and was world renown. I'd wager it was the third most known US City in Pop culture in the 1900s and 1910s.

Throughout the middle of the century we dropped St. Louis and Detroit and replaced them with LA, SF and Maybe DC.

At the rate of construction, growth, and growing importance SF and Boston both could be top 5 contenders in 10-15 years with NYC, LA and DC. Both SF and Boston outpaced every other city this year in tenant growth, construction starts and lab construction. (Ever so important in COVID world). You have that stuff at least 20-30 years to settle, but especially SF, deserves top 5 right now. SF could be top 3.
You say "not true", but appear to neglect that "100 years ago" does not include 1900-1920. Cleveland replaced St. Louis by 1920 and LA replaced Cleveland by 1930. LA had the Olympics in 1930 and Hollywood was going strong. I don't see anyway possible that St. Louis replaces LA, or any of the other cities that were listed over the "last 100 years" as was posted. If we excluded 88 of the last 100 years, then maybe.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:24 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
You say "not true", but appear to neglect that "100 years ago" does not include 1900-1920. Cleveland replaced St. Louis by 1920 and LA replaced Cleveland by 1930. LA had the Olympics in 1930 and Hollywood was going strong. I don't see anyway possible that St. Louis replaces LA, or any of the other cities that were listed over the "last 100 years" as was posted. If we excluded 88 of the last 100 years, then maybe.
He said through time, and STL was top 5 easily until 1930.

I just dont buy that was NY, DC and LA were the most associated cities throughout time here. LA didnt even become popular until the late 20s, and things are rapidly changing on which city is associated with being the most American, overseas. Since 1900 cities like St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, etc were in and out.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
He said through time, and STL was top 5 easily until 1930.

I just dont buy that was NY, DC and LA were the most associated cities throughout time here. LA didnt even become popular until the late 20s, and things are rapidly changing on which city is associated with being the most American, overseas. Since 1900 cities like St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, etc were in and out.
If he meant every year for the last 100 years, then you're probably right.

We know what the populations were, but that doesn't always match renown. St. Louis was probably much more well known than Cleveland despite similar populations. Were SF, DC, and Boston similarly well known at the time? I have no idea.

And when did LA pass Chicago in renown? I'd guess that Chicago was ahead until at least the 60's. Was Detroit in the top 3 in the 50's and 60's and LA 4th?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City