Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place do you prefer?
Jacksonville 24 36.36%
Rhode Island 42 63.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2020, 11:22 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Again, shows how little people know about Florida, since the wealthiest (to include OLD MONEY) county is St-John's county, and not Palm Beach County.

And... Palm Beach is not in the panhandle.
I state facts and you ignore them. Florida has one of the lowest average incomes in the nation ranked at #38 and the Jacksonville economy is smaller than Providence and even Raleigh.

These are facts. Florida overall is not that wealthy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 11:27 PM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I state facts and you ignore them. Florida has one of the lowest average incomes in the nation ranked at #38 and the Jacksonville economy is smaller than Providence and even Raleigh.

These are facts. Florida overall is not that wealthy.
Your "facts" were wrong, and I corrected you...

I never in any way implied that Florida has a high average income. It does, however, have some VERY wealthy areas, and they are not all parked in the Palm Beach area, or in the Panhandle or whatever it was you were trying to say. Its wealthiest county, (St-John's, in the Jacksonville MSA) again, is higher than anything in Rhode Island.
Never once said that Jacksonville is a wealthy city. I brought up PVB and St-John's County as a response to your claim that Jacksonville has nothing comparable to Newport, in any way shape or form.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:37 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Most of RI, similar to MA, NY, PA, CT and other old money states. Is not factored into typical federal income data because it is generational old money wealth.

I already showed you that Providence GDP is higher than Jacksonville. Heck Raleigh is too.

The poll above shows you. Your opinion is the minority. RI > Jacksonville.
And how exactly does this 'generational wealth' benefit the average Rhodie? It doesn't.

RI couldn't even support their only Nordstrom, yet the Jacksonville store is thriving.

The bottom line is RI isn't growing, Jacksonville is. RI has next to no jobs, Jacksonville does across many sectors. You are totally dismissing a place I suspect you have never even been to, but dislike due to nothing other than its Southern location.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:03 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Jacksonville is severely underrated on these forums.
Yes, its downtown sucks, and is definitely not living up to its potential. But surrounding areas within its core are gorgeous.
The suburbs are also fantastic.
Which surrounding areas within the core? Five Points? San Marcos? Where else?

Old 10-28-2020, 12:12 AM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I only recently started to explore it in more depth, after suggestions from locals in the Florida forums. Yes, San Marco is very nice. That entire stretch all the way down to Mandarin (although Mandarin is outside of the core... Jacksonville is built weird like that.)
I haven't explored Five Points enough to form much of an opinion on it.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:49 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Don't let its Florida location fool you. Jax is FL's other big cities' blue collar cousin. Always has been. Ever hear anyone who is planning a FL vacation or retirement say they were going to Jacksonville? There's a reason...
Yes, I have.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:04 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Gotcha. Yea I’ve always sort of Imagine Jacksonville as a much much larger myrtle beach with some industry. Maybe a little Charleston-esquire section. Is that far off?
It's more like Norfolk which is probably its closest out-of-state peer. And while it doesn't have the cachet of Norfolk's neighbor Williamsburg, Jacksonville does have St. Augustine to the south which is just as historic.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:00 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Yes, Five Points and the whole of Riverside/Avondale. The old money Ortega area is full of gorgeous mansions, many dating from the early 20th century. Springfield, directly north of Downtown is a newer hot spot. San Marcos as you mentioned counts as well.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:11 AM

10 posts, read 7,551 times
Just Rhode Island, period. Jacksonville is a sh*th*l*. Having said that, the beach towns aren't bad at all, especially Ponte Vedra and points south. Their only demerit is you have to drive through Jacksonville to get there if you're coming from the West. Speaking of West, you do not want to spend time on the west side of Jacksonville if you can avoid it.

If you're even thinking of living in Jacksonville, just go 40 miles south to St. Augustine.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:33 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
When I think of comparing and contrasting these two cities, I think primarily of size and history.

Jacksonville is a sprawling spread out metropolitan area with plenty of room to sprawl more. That's probably good for economics. RI has compact cities and towns- Providence isn't that big- it's only big in terms of an MSMA and I would never think of New Bedford & Fall River as being part of it. Totally different communities.

Sure JAX has more jobs, so if jobs are what you want, go to Jax. Of course you'll be in the South with lower wages and few unions. Sure it "supports a Nordstroms"- but I never bought there because we Yankees are frugal and not flashy. So what is "supporting a Nordstroms" measuring? People who like to spend their money on clothes?

If you want a newer much cheaper home in a newer neighborhood, go to Jax. If you want a home with history and character- albeit at a premium price- come here. Don't come to RI though if you really can't afford it, because our low income neighborhoods are as bad as Jax's low income neighborhoods and you don't want to be in either.

The differences in weather hardly need explaining. So it comes down to, like most relocation decisions, personal priorities.

I very much liked the Cummer Museum in Jax, it's a nice place to visit in Winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City