Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place do you prefer?
Jacksonville 24 36.36%
Rhode Island 42 63.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 10:03 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Downtown matters and my opinion stands. Rhode Island is better because you have a few downtowns to choose from. Jacksonville suffers from little to no street activity and low density development. It is interesting that Providence and Jacksonville are very comparable in crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Don't come to RI though if you really can't afford it, because our low income neighborhoods are as bad as Jax's low income neighborhoods and you don't want to be in either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I feel like people are downplaying how rough RI can be and how nice JAX can be.

That being said Rhode Island is more varied in attractions/culture/history. Having looked up Jacksonville some. JAX offers a better COL.

I'd say it's a tie. Two pretty evenly matched areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Crime is bad in Providence, but it has more redeeming qualities that still make it a nice place.
Quote:
Actual crime in Providence is not that bad. In fact it’s plunged dramatically in the past 5 years (exception being this year) https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/10/...outputType=amp

Poverty, Schools and infrastructure/housing is pretty bad. But last year the city had like 35/36 shootings. Many years Providence has a had a lower crime rate than Boston. But you will find many QOL issues like open air prostitution, addiction and some blight. For all of 2018 only 819 violent crimes were reported in Providence.

It’s worth noting none of these issues play out downtown nor are they city wide. But they re prevalent especially on the south side and to a lesser extent, the north side.

Most other similar New England cities are more dangerous than Providence...

“Overall crime in Providence – and the rest of the United States – peaked in the early 1990s and has been on the decline ever since. Among comparably sized cities in New England, Providence had the fewest violent crimes in 2018.”

Providence really doesn’t have the violent crime or gang culture even that inner city Boston has so if you can handle Boston Providence should be fine.

Providence is gritty and mostly working class or poor. But it has some nice neighborhoods, excellent location, mind blowing diversity, beautiful downtown, very reasonable crime, loads of character great nightlife,, arts and food scenes. And a wonderful fully occupied mall downtown.

Jacksonville crime is FAR worse than Providence (never mind RI as a whole), in fact Jacksonville is one of the most statistically dangerous cities in the country last I looked. The distinction there couldn't be clearer. I agree that the two places are NOTHING alike (save for maybe the Atlantic Ocean and a share a of good ole boy politics in each), and both areas have a large PR and white blue-collar population. That's pretty much it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 10:21 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Jacksonville crime is FAR worse than Providence (never mind RI as a whole), in fact Jacksonville is one of the most statistically dangerous cities in the country last I looked. The distinction there couldn't be clearer. I agree that the two places are NOTHING alike (save for maybe the Atlantic Ocean and a share a of good ole boy politics in each), and both areas have a large PR and white blue-collar population. That's pretty much it.
Yea, maybe Fort Lauderdale is a better comparison to Providence in the Miami-Boston relation?

Old 11-02-2020, 10:28 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
And like most cities, the areas where crime is concentrated are places where the average resident has no business being in. The majority of people aren't impacted.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And like most cities, the areas where crime is concentrated are places where the average resident has no business being in. The majority of people aren't impacted.
Yes and no. When visiting Jacksonville I feel like I have to watch my back even in the "so so" areas, which isn't the case in RI. Just a lot more random type stuff going on down there, more sketchy types.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:51 AM

994 posts, read 501,610 times
I know RI is a small state, but I don't get the comparison.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Yea, maybe Fort Lauderdale is a better comparison to Providence in the Miami-Boston relation?
Guessing that's as close as it gets.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
I know RI is a small state, but I don't get the comparison.
Ne neither. I get that this is all for fun, but such a random two places...

Old 11-02-2020, 11:15 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Yes and no. When visiting Jacksonville I feel like I have to watch my back even in the "so so" areas, which isn't the case in RI. Just a lot more random type stuff going on down there, more sketchy types.
I don't see it myself, and I'm pretty familiar with the area. I also think it's overall a much friendlier place than Providence. It's not as insular, they're used to steady growth and new people cycling in.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I don't see it myself, and I'm pretty familiar with the area. I also think it's overall a much friendlier place than Providence. It's not as insular, they're used to steady growth and new people cycling in.
Meh. People seem pretty indifferent there overall, as with much of FL. Of course different people's experiences vary though.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:45 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Is Providence really unfriendly? It's insular yea, but I really wouldn't say unfriendly-no.

The insularity is more because of the economics and small size, this intern affects politics-but not because the people are mean. I find Rhode Islanders pretty talkative and more neighborly than people in the rest of New England at least.

Maybe it's the Italian, Lusophone and Hispanic population (42% of the state is Italian/Portuguese or Hispanic) influence.

These groups are stereotypically very family and community-oriented populations that are pretty friendly/expressive once you're in the loop. Big stereotype though.

Combine this with the negligible BlackAmerican or Mexican populations/culture, relatively high west African/southeast Asian populations, high catholic percentage, diminutive land area, extreme old money, lack of college sports/professional sports teams and you get a state that is one of the most unique and 'foreign' ones in the country. There's honestly not a ton of cultural crossover with 'mainstream America' like in Florida. Not even any early primaries or swing politics. As a result, I'm sure it feels pretty alien and unwelcoming to folks from far away. But to me, I love how you can just get immersed in layers of Rhode Island. Like your own little world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City