Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 10:32 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^ A lot, if not all of these Urban Areas may actually be bigger, if adjacent urban clusters were added. Here is a list of the Urban Areas and Urban Clusters from 2010: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...he-2010-census
That's certainly the case for Greenville, SC (441K pop in 2019) where Mauldin-Simpsonville is considered a separate UA of nearly 150K although it is thoroughly suburban Greenville and highly contiguous with its UA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 10:52 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^ A lot, if not all of these Urban Areas may actually be bigger, if adjacent urban clusters were added. Here is a list of the Urban Areas and Urban Clusters from 2010: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...he-2010-census
There are very few "clean" UAs out there. Most have a collection of clusters around them that don't get counted, others have adjacent UAs that are connected but not counted together, and yet others have both connected UAs and clusters. The impact to the reported size of these UAs varies with some being reported significantly smaller than their actual contiguous population, while others are minimally impacted because their orbit of clusters is insignificant in comparison. Of course, the "clean" UAs are the best statistically represented of the bunch.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Per your earlier acceptance of abutting urbanized areas being treated as together, the Triangle was already 64% bigger than Birmingham in 2010.
Touché

Old 11-10-2020, 11:30 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What do we think are the reasons why Pittsburgh continues to lose population?
More deaths than births. In fact, I'd venture that they account for the entire loss now, and that net migration (including foreign immigration) has reached an equilibrium. There's no mass exodus from Pittsburgh anymore. Now there's just a mass die-off of all the elderly that everybody pointed and laughed at Pittsburgh for having in the 1990s and early 2000s. They weren't going to keep getting older forever.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:12 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
More deaths than births. In fact, I'd venture that they account for the entire loss now, and that net migration (including foreign immigration) has reached an equilibrium. There's no mass exodus from Pittsburgh anymore. Now there's just a mass die-off of all the elderly that everybody pointed and laughed at Pittsburgh for having in the 1990s and early 2000s. They weren't going to keep getting older forever.
Interesting. I suspect that is the case for a lot of Western PA.

Seems like the general Southeastern PA area is the only exception for PA (including Lehigh Valley and Lancaster).

Old 11-17-2020, 08:11 AM

382 posts, read 488,509 times
Unsurprising to me to Nashville's UA is a fraction of the metro's size. The metro includes so many far flung towns and cities so this may be a more accurate representation of Nashville's overall feel. Still, it is good to see that the UA is still growing rapidly and not everyone is moving 50 miles out of the city.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:17 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
Unsurprising to me to Nashville's UA is a fraction of the metro's size. The metro includes so many far flung towns and cities so this may be a more accurate representation of Nashville's overall feel. Still, it is good to see that the UA is still growing rapidly and not everyone is moving 50 miles out of the city.
Actually I think Nashville is one of the examples that showcase where UA is not a good example for measuring size. Nashville feels quite a bit larger than the other urban areas with 1 million people. It feels much more like it's peers in the MSA category than the UA category.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:13 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Actually I think Nashville is one of the examples that showcase where UA is not a good example for measuring size. Nashville feels quite a bit larger than the other urban areas with 1 million people. It feels much more like it's peers in the MSA category than the UA category.
It might be perception and/or skyline, because UA probably covers the vast majority of what one thinks of when they think Nashville. Most people don’t think of Murfreesboro or Hendersonville and their commuting patterns. “Nashville” is an amalgamation of UA, downtown, MSA, CSA, and intangibles, like most of the rest of the country.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:49 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Having a bourgeoning tourism sector and nightlife scene probably has something to do with it also. You could probably throw NOLA in the same category too.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:22 PM

382 posts, read 488,509 times
Quote:
You're right. The outer suburbs and larger/denser than normal downtown area do make it feel larger. I guess I was alluding to the fact that you don't have to stray too far from downtown to find some shockingly low-density areas and hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City