Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Arizona or Nevada???
Arizona 44 74.58%
Nevada 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 05:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
So you like paying more money to stay at cold California beaches? Rocky Point is a much better value other than if you're surfing, there's few waves since it's in the Gulf of California.

Anyway, I won't complain if you don't go there, it's still a bit of a hidden gem that doesn't get insanely over-crowded yet.
I just prefer Cali over Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 07:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Most people don’t want to drive 1.5-2 hours through Mexico to go to the beach. I’m a huge fan of Mexico, but let’s be honest about that? And while 95-100° in Puerto Penasco during the summer might be of some relief when it’s 115 in Phoenix, I’d hardly call it refreshing? I’ve been to the Gulf and it was downright miserable in the summer. Besides, the ocean is going to be warm in Southern California that time of the year anyways with temps in the 70’s
I like how the heat here gets exaggerated constantly. It was our hottest summer ever this year and there were 7 days at or above 115. Living in Phoenix you don't need to go out of state for cooler weather, just head to Flag, Prescott, Payson, the White Mountains or others within 2 hours or so of the city. Those destinations are actually more of a relief than San Diego or OC during the summer months when afternoon monsoon showers are possible almost any day.

But this had nothing to do with heat anyways, I'm talking about proximity to beaches.

The drive from Lukeville to Rocky Point is 70 minutes and not only do lots of people make the drive, lots of Arizonan's own businesses and second homes there. Zonies are the life blood of the tourism economy in the town and it's been a popular spot for ages. As for the the temperature range in Rocky Point, what you just described is about what you'd get in Florida with the heat index. But nobody likes going there to visit the beaches though right?

Like I said before, I don't mind being close to Southern California, I consider it a perk but rarely find much need to go there. We go out 1x per summer, mainly to see friends that live in the area. It's by no means a regular destination for us.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I just prefer Cali over Mexico.
That's fine, in Phoenix you've got both options available in relatively short drives.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
That's fine, in Phoenix you've got both options available in relatively short drives.
Good point.Thanks locolife.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Depends on what you are after. For surfers the Gulf of CA is a non starter. No reasonable waves. For those who want calm water no need to go past Lake Mead. And the close in waters of S. CA are more than suitable. Spent some years sail boarding in the estuaries of Long Beach.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
I like how the heat here gets exaggerated constantly. It was our hottest summer ever this year and there were 7 days at or above 115. Living in Phoenix you don't need to go out of state for cooler weather, just head to Flag, Prescott, Payson, the White Mountains or others within 2 hours or so of the city. Those destinations are actually more of a relief than San Diego or OC during the summer months when afternoon monsoon showers are possible almost any day.

But this had nothing to do with heat anyways, I'm talking about proximity to beaches.

The drive from Lukeville to Rocky Point is 70 minutes and not only do lots of people make the drive, lots of Arizonan's own businesses and second homes there. Zonies are the life blood of the tourism economy in the town and it's been a popular spot for ages. As for the the temperature range in Rocky Point, what you just described is about what you'd get in Florida with the heat index. But nobody likes going there to visit the beaches though right?

Like I said before, I don't mind being close to Southern California, I consider it a perk but rarely find much need to go there. We go out 1x per summer, mainly to see friends that live in the area. It's by no means a regular destination for us.
You're right about it being our hottest summer ever, but we had 14 highs at or above 115°F this year, not 7

Old 11-23-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Seems like you’ve answered your own question
well i still dont know what deiscision to make since i like Arizona more than Nevada but the lack of state income tax will be only be a factor for me if i make a high income.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
well i would go to Texas for warm beach.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:50 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
well i still dont know what deiscision to make since i like Arizona more than Nevada but the lack of state income tax will be only be a factor for me if i make a high income.
Well, if you're not buying a home, why not just live where you want for now? It's actually a shorter drive to the Grand Canyon from Phoenix than Las Vegas. And if you like hot weather, we've got it (here in Phoenix)!

Sounds like you are speculating on some high future income that may or may not materialize.

Last edited by hikernut; 11-23-2020 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-23-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Depends on what you are after. For surfers the Gulf of CA is a non starter. No reasonable waves. For those who want calm water no need to go past Lake Mead. And the close in waters of S. CA are more than suitable. Spent some years sail boarding in the estuaries of Long Beach.
Yeah, Lake Mead is nice to have nearby. It's a similar story in Phoenix with Lakes Pleasant, Saguaro, Bartlett are all nearby (30-60 minutes) depending on what side of the valley you live in. Roosevelt, Canyon, Apache, and Horseshoe lakes are a bit further out (1-1.5 hours) but also fairly close. A lot of local kayakers and SUPers hit the Lower Salt River, by Mesa on the east side of town. Or Tempe Town Lake which is right in the middle of the city.

Rocky Point is great for smooth water sports, relaxing and having drinks, as well as for fishing. One of the best parts of Rocky Point is the fishing variety including Sea Bass, Mackerel, Red Snapper, Grouper, Flounder, and White Fish. The thing I like about RP versus SoCal is also the relaxation, you're in a small town on a beach, you're not driving into and out of a massive metroplex. It's a totally different experience then going to Long Beach.

Besides that San Diego is basically the same distance from Vegas as Phoenix, 5 hours basically either way. Huntington is about 5.5 versus 4.5 from Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City