Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2022, 07:30 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texas is lucky to have two cities that can support luxury shopping. Having a third would be very difficult. But if Austin can support it, I can’t see why not.
There's so much money in Austin. And it will only grow. Samsung, Apple, Tesla, Microsoft and tons more white collar companies are pouring money into the city and region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 07:44 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
Ehh, I think all 4 can support it to a degree. San Antonio has a standalone Louis Vuitton and a 2nd at Nordstrom at North Star Mall/Tiffanys/Rolex/Carolina Herrera/Saks/Neiman Marcus. Standalone Gucci and Chanel are under construction. Austin is about the same minus Saks but they have a Hermes U/C (unless that already opened)

San Marcos (halfway between SA + Austin) has Gucci, Prada, Jimmy Choo, MCM, Valentino, Ferragamo, Saint Laurent, Versace.

If any of the more upscale brands that you can find in Dallas/Houston (Cartier, Tom Ford, Louboutin, Dior, Celine, Alexander McQueen, Loro Piana, etc) are gonna come, my bet would be they'd go in San Marcos too and play off both markets.
Aren't those outlets though?
Yes, luxury brands, but not the same as flagship boutiques found in Highland Park or the Galleria, nor are expansion plans the same.

But that doesn't mean brands would choose to open full-line stores in both Austin or San Antonio, all depends on where the money is being spent.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Ehh, I think all 4 can support it to a degree. San Antonio has a standalone Louis Vuitton and a 2nd at Nordstrom at North Star Mall/Tiffanys/Rolex/Carolina Herrera/Saks/Neiman Marcus. Standalone Gucci and Chanel are under construction. Austin is about the same minus Saks but they have a Hermes U/C (unless that already opened)

San Marcos (halfway between SA + Austin) has Gucci, Prada, Jimmy Choo, MCM, Valentino, Ferragamo, Saint Laurent, Versace.

If any of the more upscale brands that you can find in Dallas/Houston (Cartier, Tom Ford, Louboutin, Dior, Celine, Alexander McQueen, Loro Piana, etc) are gonna come, my bet would be they'd go in San Marcos too and play off both markets.
South Congress in Austin, The Domain, Austin and La Cantera San Antonio are taking them for now. As someone mentioned above, that stuff in San Marcos are mostly outlets

Old 07-22-2022, 12:04 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
There's so much money in Austin. And it will only grow. Samsung, Apple, Tesla, Microsoft and tons more white collar companies are pouring money into the city and region.
Even with that, I don't know if Austin could grow into a solid competitor to Houston and Dallas as far as luxury shopping though is where I was going with it. In fact, Houston and Dallas is getting better themselves so Austin has a good ways to go.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:30 PM

44 posts, read 29,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I wonder if Austin will ever be a solid competitor to Houston and Dallas. It seems impossible right now but things can change.
For premium luxury no, but more accessible luxury (something like Ganni or rag & bone or A.P.C.) I’d wager it already is if not well on its way.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:05 PM

325 posts, read 203,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Amarillo and El Paso not big enough? (I'm pretty sure Beaumont/Port Arthur, Corpus Christi, Laredo, Lubbock and Wichita Falls aren't.)
I don't think El Paso even has a high end department store afaik. If anything, the McAllen/RGV area could maybe get a Nordstrom with a LV store in it due to the people from Monterrey that cross the border to shop. But most of them go to San Antonio or the San Marcos outlets anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
South Congress in Austin, The Domain, Austin and La Cantera San Antonio are taking them for now. As someone mentioned above, that stuff in San Marcos are mostly outlets
I know they're mostly outlets but aren't a few of them regular stores? I agree though, the Domain and La Cantera are gonna take the new stuff for now.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:27 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
No place comes close to NYC when you are discussing high end shopping. (Domestically)

Old 07-22-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I know they're mostly outlets but aren't a few of them regular stores? I agree though, the Domain and La Cantera are gonna take the new stuff for now.
Higher end brands don’t like being in places associated with outlets. Higher end brands have “branding standards” where they prefer not go to locations even if it means they miss out in that market (as it would disrupt their “image”).

Old 07-22-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Even with that, I don't know if Austin could grow into a solid competitor to Houston and Dallas as far as luxury shopping though is where I was going with it. In fact, Houston and Dallas is getting better themselves so Austin has a good ways to go.
That. But also, Houston and Dallas are regional hubs. I’m no retail insider, but from what I do know, I know that the stores don’t just make their money locally. They are almost like “sales offices” for affluent clients from entire regions. Houston specifically is a big market for parts of Latin America. Austin not having a major international airport for example doesn’t help.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:09 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No place comes close to NYC when you are discussing high end shopping. (Domestically)
I don't think anyone here said otherwise (unless I missed an uniformed comment).

NYC is a global fashion / high-end shopping epicenter, only a few cities overseas outdo NYC.

LA & Miami are the next tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City