Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 10:16 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, I mentioned the government employee aspect and yes, the colleges are mainly in the cities. However, there are small cities and towns in the Capital Region that are moderate or even “liberal/progressive” as well. So, it isn’t necessarily the bigger cities or bust in terms of that.

Again, there is also a tech/video game cluster in the Capital Region. So, you have people that work at say Global Foundries, Regeneron and these companies mentioned in this article about the area’s video game cluster: https://www.ceg.org/articles/capital...ts-facilities/ So, there are tech professionals in the Capital Region as well.
Yes, exactly! It is but another reason why the region is different from Western Mass. In Massachusetts, commonwealth government is centered in Boston.

Yeah, those moderate towns have a very transition-into-New-England vibe. They don't compare to the "heart of New England" feel you get in Northampton, Williamstown, Amherst, Holyoke, etc. edit: heck, I bet a lot of those people in those Capital Region small towns wish they had as strong municipal prowess as do their New England counterparts.

Compare that to Waverly and Sayre, Jamestown and Erie, Bradford and Olean, Binghamton and Scranton, etc., and the Southern Tier of NY and Northern PA are like two peas in a pod. I'd say Western Mass and the Capital Region are like a peach and a plum in a fruit bowl. Similar in kind, but very different in taste.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 08-27-2022 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 10:22 AM

93,240 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yes, exactly! It is but another reason why the region is different from Western Mass. In Massachusetts, commonwealth government is centered in Boston.

Yeah, those moderate towns have a very transition-into-New-England vibe. They don't compare to the "heart of New England" feel you get in Northampton, Williamstown, Amherst, Holyoke, etc.

Compare that to Waverly and Sayre, Jamestown and Erie, Bradford and Olean, Binghamton and Scranton, etc., and the Southern Tier of NY and Northern PA are like two peas in a pod. I'd say Western Mass and the Capital Region are like a peach and a plum in a fruit bowl. Similar in kind, but very different in taste.
Holyoke is similar to Amsterdam, in terms of being a more blue collar town with a high Hispanic population. Saratoga Springs can rival places like Northampton and Amherst, but just with a smaller college presence. So, you do have some similar types of communities between the two regions.

Also, while I agree, the Southern Tier is a less populated portion of Upstate NY. So, that still leaves the areas further north of it, which have higher populations.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Holyoke is similar to Amsterdam, in terms of being a more blue collar town with a high Hispanic population. Saratoga Springs can rival places like Northampton and Amherst, but just with a smaller college presence. So, you do have some similar types of communities between the two regions.

Also, while I agree, the Southern Tier is a less populated portion of Upstate NY. So, that still leaves the areas further north of it, which have higher populations.
Yeah, Amherst is like THE college town of New England, whereas Saratoga is known for its horse racing first and foremost. Some people think of Skidmore when they think Saratoga, but honestly, not most. Like I said, a plum and a peach.

Besides, don't you think the town meeting / municipal power structure that MA towns have vs. NY towns is noteworthy?

Yeah, those population centers along the Great Lakes, especially Buffalo, have a lot more in common with Western PA than they do anything in New England.

So I am curious. I know you are all about specificity here, which I can appreciate. But if you *had* to choose, would you say NY is more similar to New England or Pennsylvania, and why?

Old 08-27-2022, 12:16 PM

327 posts, read 222,192 times
Quote:
Yeah, Amherst is like THE college town of New England, whereas Saratoga is known for its horse racing first and foremost. Some people think of Skidmore when they think Saratoga, but honestly, not most. Like I said, a plum and a peach.

Besides, don't you think the town meeting / municipal power structure that MA towns have vs. NY towns is noteworthy?

Yeah, those population centers along the Great Lakes, especially Buffalo, have a lot more in common with Western PA than they do anything in New England.

So I am curious. I know you are all about specificity here, which I can appreciate. But if you *had* to choose, would you say NY is more similar to New England or Pennsylvania, and why?
Western New York resembles New England more closely than the Hudson Valley does. In fact, I would argue that the Hudson Valley is the region of New York most dissimilar to New England in look and feel.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Personally I think it depends on where you are in NY State, which I believe I mentioned early on in the thread. I also think there are Canadian influences in the state, like a strong French Canadian population in the North Country/parts of the Adirondacks(actually the Capital Region as well).

If anything, Amherst and even Burlington VT remind me of Ithaca due to having a “liberal” reputation and a strong college/university presence. New Paltz and to a lesser degree, Oneonta are smaller places in NY with a big college presence and a more “liberal” reputation. Quite a few smaller, more progressive places in NY revolve around the Arts and not just colleges.

Old 08-27-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Personally I think it depends on where you are in NY State, which I believe I mentioned early on in the thread. I also think there are Canadian influences in the state, like a strong French Canadian population in the North Country/parts of the Adirondacks(actually the Capital Region as well).

If anything, Amherst and even Burlington VT remind me of Ithaca due to having a “liberal” reputation and a strong college/university presence. New Paltz and to a lesser degree, Oneonta are smaller places in NY with a big college presence and a more “liberal” reputation. Quite a few smaller, more progressive places in NY revolve around the Arts and not just colleges.
Sure, but I was asking if you had to choose, is the whole of New York more similar to the whole of New England, or the whole of Pennsylvania? That's the point of the thread, after all.

Yeah idk. Ithaca and the Finger Lakes feel very uniquely New York to me. Just like Lancaster is uniquely Pennsylvania, and idk, Portsmouth, NH is uniquely New England. Sure it's a liberal college town, but the impact it has on its surrounding area is more limited and the vibe to me is much more tense in Ithaca vs. conservative surrounding areas, especially when you head south toward the Southern Tier. I've never noticed that dynamic in Western Mass.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:36 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:

New York towns had town meetings similar to New England before WW2. Although they are different now, there are still town meetings in New York that the public does participate in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_meeting

For instance, in my Town of Babylon https://www.townofbabylon.com/459/Up...ublic-Meetings

New York State seems to have been originally more like New England but has been gradually adopting more of the Mid-Atlantic systems like Pennsylvania and New Jersey. For instance, Counties in New York were weak and mostly just about the county courts but since the spread of suburbia after WW2 they have been gaining additional powers (which is good in my opinion).

Old 08-27-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Sure, but I was asking if you had to choose, is the whole of New York more similar to the whole of New England, or the whole of Pennsylvania? That's the point of the thread, after all.

Yeah idk. Ithaca and the Finger Lakes feel very uniquely New York to me. Just like Lancaster is uniquely Pennsylvania, and idk, Portsmouth, NH is uniquely New England. Sure it's a liberal college town, but the impact it has on its surrounding area is more limited and the vibe to me is much more tense in Ithaca vs. conservative surrounding areas, especially when you head south toward the Southern Tier. I've never noticed that dynamic in Western Mass.
I wouldn’t choose this as an “either or”, because I think it comes down to proximity and there is crossover. Some parts may fit better in either one of them, but there are also some things that are distinct as well.

Tompkins County outside of Ithaca is more moderate, but as a whole, I’d say it is at least moderate outside of the city and even nearby areas like Watkins Glen and Cortland can have spillover due to many Cornell employees actually living in adjacent counties like Schuyler and Cortland Counties. Even to the north, you have a town like Aurora in Cayuga County that has tiny Wells College, a former all female college, that is now co-ed. So, you have that small town, small private college dynamic that you see in New England.

Keuka College near Penn Yan(a community’s name which speak to the crossover I’m referring to), Cazenovia College in Cazenovia(east of Syracuse), Hamilton College in Clinton(outside of Utica), perhaps even Colgate in Hamilton(in between Syracuse and Utica), St. Lawrence in Canton(in the North Country about 25-30 minutes from the Canadian border, also has a SUNY campus) and Alfred University in Alfred(in the Southern Tier directly south of Rochester, also has a SUNY campus), among some others, are other small town college towns with a small private college/university in NY. I’m not sure how prevalent this is in PA, but many of these communities are villages that might have 5000 people tops and is something that seems to be in line with New England in that regard. In fact, Hamilton College is in the New England Small College Athletic Conference for sports.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:43 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
People tell me Ithaca is like Western MA.

Also @ckthankgod, Union College in Schenectady was in the NESCAC before it decided to depart.

Several New York schools in the NEPSAC too.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 08-27-2022 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-27-2022, 03:44 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:

There’s a veryyy tense vibe between Springfield and it’s suburbs. Springfield has a few colleges but it’s not a college town like Ithaca. I’d also be surprised if Hampden account his more educated than the Capital Region NY

Brockton is another example of that but it’s not a college town at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City